Author Topic: We overate and fall in love with players  (Read 6417 times)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: We overate and fall in love with players
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2004, 09:30:44 PM »
How much pee taking is in that post?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »

You cant compare Wayne Campbell to Matthews, Ablett or Carey. For one thing, they could never win a brownlow because they were always suspended. Campbell never gets suspended for no other reason than he's never gone in for a hard ball in his entire career.

Anyway, I just posted this cos I luv it when you get all worked up about him.

I put Campbell in the same category of players such as Darryn Creswell, Adam Simpson and Cameron Ling. Solid players who do the job every week without much fanfare, but who are highly regarded and respected within the club they play(ed) for.

Mate, the topic of this thread is that we ovverate our players. For me, Campbell is maybe not the best, but certainly a good example of how we overrate our players. He wouldnt be in the top 10 players of any of the top 4 sides.

Clearances? Dont make me laugh. Kicks straight up in the air. Inventor of the quick throw of the ball on the boot, because he's always been poo scared of being tackled. If he was Sri Lankan, he's be called a chucker.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 01:20:18 PM »
The only recent player that wasn't overated was Knights - a true champion  ;D
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »
Clearances? Dont make me laugh. Kicks straight up in the air. Inventor of the quick throw of the ball on the boot, because he's always been poo scared of being tackled. If he was Sri Lankan, he's be called a chucker.

Mutiah Campbellitharan  :rollin
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 07:35:32 PM »

Mate, the topic of this thread is that we ovverate our players. For me, Campbell is maybe not the best, but certainly a good example of how we overrate our players. He wouldnt be in the top 10 players of any of the top 4 sides.

Campbell in his prime would easily make the top ten if not top 5 players of any top 4 side. Didn't Matthews rate him as the best onballer in the comp about a decade ago? (That's what I call overrating!) Look at his credentials outside of the Richmond team, he has got 2 All-Australian guernseys, has played the cross-breed game with the Irish on numerous occasions and has represented Victoria. Looks like Richmond aren't the only ones that rate him.

Not to mention that he is one of the top 5 posession winners over the last decade!!! And before you say his disposals are all crap, go take a look at some stats on the amount of clangers he has. Lower than the likes of Buckley, Hird, Voss, Ricciuto etc.

As to your point about the clearances, it always makes me laugh when people talk about Campbell's quick kicks out of the packs in a derogative way. You should be praising him on having the reflexes to clear the ball so quickly!!! If you've ever cared to notice, pack situations aren't exactly the places where you are free to take your time. Moving the ball forward in any way possible is a victory.

If you want to talk about overrating, go and have a look at some of the money the players at our club have earned and the results they have brought. Campbell for nearly a decade has finished inside the top 3 at the Richmond B&F. For results like that he should be getting paid twice what the likes of Richo, Nottens, Knights, Daffy are/were.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 07:40:23 PM by JohnF »

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 10:29:57 PM »
 :bow :bow  :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

The 2004 Post of the Year goes to JohnF...............stuffen brilliant.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Jackstar

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 10:36:50 PM »
Campbell has always been a maligned player.
He played with serious injuries all year and you didnt here any excuses from him

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 11:39:30 PM »

The 2004 Post of the Year goes to JohnF...............effen brilliant.

At least I'm preaching to one of the devout  :thumbsup

froars

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2004, 05:05:50 AM »
I luv a Weenie bashing session where John always comes to his rescue lol

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2004, 08:18:06 AM »

The 2004 Post of the Year goes to JohnF...............effen brilliant.

Ditto! :thumbsup