Author Topic: Brawl in North Queensland  (Read 7515 times)

Jackstar

Brawl in North Queensland
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:18:29 PM »
Did anyone see the fight on TV at the  North Cairns Tigers and Port Douglas game on the weekend/
Very interested to know what happened.
Local internet site in North Queensalnd hasnt put any results up and is thinking about suspending both teams and not awarding a flag for 2004
Comp only has 7 teams as is

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brawl in North Queensland
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:00:51 AM »
I saw that on the weekend news. I can't remember which side was which but one team was in a huddle already on the ground before the game when the other ran on and then charged straight at the huddle. All hell then broke loose with every player and official in a massive brawl. Amateur hacks resorting to violence because they've got brains or skills.

If you watch the footage very closely, amongst all the thuggery there was a moment of comic relief when two opposing meatheads ran at each other. As they each dragged an arm back to take a swing at the other, their heads collided and they almost knocked each other out.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:10:05 AM »
Sounds a bit like the Windy Hill massacre - a few meatheads there that day.
Good to watch though lol

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 01:18:46 AM »
I missed it...would love to see a link or something...maybe the footy show will mention it on Thursday. Then again, being GF edition, probably not. :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 01:53:16 AM »
If you watch the footage very closely, amongst all the thuggery there was a moment of comic relief when two opposing meatheads ran at each other. As they each dragged an arm back to take a swing at the other, their heads collided and they almost knocked each other out.

I saw that MT,frikken hilarious stuff.

LMAOLOL.

I dont think there was one good punch actually trown in all of it was there ?

froars

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 02:00:27 AM »
I luv violence when it's happening to someone else lol
Ooops, shouldn't say that  ;D

Jackstar

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 05:33:23 AM »
I had a mate involved, wont answer his phone either. This is a bit bigger than reported, we will hear more ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 08:49:58 AM »
I read yesterday (and I canot find the link) that former North Melb & Sydney player Jason Love was the non playing coach of the Nth Cairns Tigers (the team that "won") and he faces a life time ban from the game after the weekends game. The tigers were supposedly the instigators of the brawl - after the national anthem they simply ran and attacked the opposition.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 08:58:19 AM »
Found it from yesterday's Age:

No Love lost as coach faces ban
By Peter Blucher
September 21, 2004

Former North Melbourne and Sydney player Jason Love faces a football life ban after a brawl in the Cairns grand final on Saturday.

Love was non-playing coach of the North Cairns team that rushed its Port Douglas opponents at the end of the national anthem, prompting a wild all-in brawl.

It is believed several of the North Cairns players were on the verge of retirement and desperate to break the club's premiership drought. Love himself was caught on video in an altercation with a spectator.

AFL Queensland chief executive Richard Griffiths yesterday expressed the league's disgust for the incident. He said the Cairns league would conduct an investigation.

North Cairns won by eight goals but the result is expected to be wiped and no premiership awarded.

Love played 45 games at North Melbourne from 1985-89 and 23 games with Sydney from 1991-92

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/09/21/1095651259389.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 05:33:04 PM »
The whole North Cairns team is up before the tribunal  :o.

--------------------------

North Cairns Tigers set to be mauled at tribunal
Posted Oct 19, 2004 - 13:28 PM

The football club that is said to have instigated the all-in brawl during a North Queensland regional footy grand final on September 18, must make their 22 players and their coach available to front the AFL tribunal.

Barrister Jim Henry has been investigating the fight that rocked the footy world and it has been his recommendation that the 22 players from the North Cairns Tigers should have to face the AFL tribunal.

It will be alleged that the Tigers' players deliberately went out to physically injure the players from the Port Douglas Crocs.

The Tiger's coach, Jason Love, who played for North Melbourne and Sydney, has already been rubbed out for three years for striking but will also face the allegation that he encouraged his players to start the brawl.

The players involved could face life bans from all levels of football.

- from the AAP.

http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=14997&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 12:54:51 AM »
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When i played for Springy 17s we had 8 guys off the field as was the way in juniors then if u
were to belt someone.

LMAOOOOOO@Our concussed captain Brendon Neale running onto the ground and king hitting the umpire
sending him to the ground,unconscious before he even hit the turf.

LMAOOOOOO@It being the same umpire that Bodsy spat in the face of 10 minutes before.

LMAOOOOOOOOOO@The time keepers getting into a blue.

The end result.

Captain - Life Ban
Bodsy(rip)-10 year ban.
Shags - 2 weeks.
Julian Scot - 2 weeks.
Frank Haggadorn - 4 weeks.
Gavin Berry - 2 weeks

cant remember the rest.

That was the last year i played. :'(

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 01:08:36 AM »
lmfaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmfaoooooooo@your captain being concussed and getting to fulfil his unconscious desire (belting an umpire)

lmfaoooooo@him also shagging a bloke after the game

lmfaooooooooo@the poor umpire idiot getting spat on and king hit for being a samaritan that is willing to give up his time to participate in a community event

lmfaoooooooooooooooo@junior footy, stuff i miss it

Ox

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:18:37 AM »

lmfaooooooooo@the poor umpire idiot getting spat on and king hit for being a samaritan that is willing to give up his time to participate in a community event

LMAOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's right...lol....they did it for the kids didnt they.

LMAOOOOOOOO@Wanting to help out the youth nly to be subjected to exteme and random violence
by pubescent maniacs high on team loyalty.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 01:28:55 AM »
roflfmaooooo Ox ahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  :rollin

Fancy having to rock up to work the next day with a massive shiner on your cheekbone telling everyone you got ktfo by a 16 year old

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 01:55:21 PM »
Just back after an extended stay in Palm Cove near Cairns,and its still in the papers there.
Civil action the whole lot.I played in the cairns league back in 94,and it was too farken hot to play let alone find the energy for a punch up!
Jack Love is life banned apparently :o

Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went