Author Topic: Kevin Sheedy says Tigers can win a flag in 2009  (Read 4375 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kevin Sheedy says Tigers can win a flag in 2009
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:54:39 AM »
Kevin Sheedy says Tigers can win a flag in 2009
Jon Ralph | March 19, 2009

Richmond and Essendon legend Kevin Sheedy shares a laugh with controversial recruit Ben Cousins at the Tigers' season launch. Picture: Michael Dodge.

RICHMOND legend Kevin Sheedy returned to the club last night to declare provocatively that the Tigers are a chance to snatch this year's flag.

Sheedy, the club's membership ambassador, used his official toast at Richmond's season launch to urge the players to snare an upset premiership, just as his Baby Bombers did in 1993.

Sheedy played an integral part in the Tigers' recruitment of Ben Cousins after it seemed the former West Coast captain was likely to end up on football's scrap heap.

Last night he told the players that despite the club's lack of success in the past 25 years, the sky was the limit this season.

"I think that everyone is talking about Geelong and Hawthorn," Sheedy said at the Regent Theatre.
Related Links

"It doesn't have to be like that. Why not this year? Could you win it this year? I think you could.

"It's a great opportunity. I think everyone might drop their guard. If they drop their guard and you lift 5 per cent and they drop 5 per cent, it's a very even ball game."

Sheedy said just as in 1993 and with Richmond's 1967 premiership win, a team could achieve something against the odds.

"In 1993 no one thought Essendon could win a premiership," he said.

"They were 50-1 and given no chance, with a few senior players and lots of young, talented players.

"In 1967 it was classic because it's very similar to Richmond this year.

"If you could take something from the past and history and you look at it, then you may have a wonderful opportunity if you want it to be. The players have to realise that."

Sheedy also taunted the club about its lack of success in the modern era, with the Tigers having played finals only twice since losing the 1982 Grand Final.

Richmond has not played finals since 2001, and it is widely acknowledged coach Terry Wallace will be sacked if Richmond does not play in September this year.

"How do you want to see this year? You do have an exciting opportunity," Sheedy said.

"You have got enough experience and youth. For God's sake you have to have the hunger.

"It's a quarter of a century. Don't just roll out another footy season like the last 25, because you have a chance."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25208792-19742,00.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
You can win flag, Sheedy to Tigers (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »
You can win flag, Sheedy to Tigers
Rohan Connolly | March 19, 2009

TIGERS legend Kevin Sheedy last night told the Richmond players they could win the 2009 AFL premiership.

Speaking at a Richmond official season launch at the Regent Theatre, an impassioned Sheedy addressed the Tigers' senior list directly, imploring them to grab what he believed was a genuine opportunity to defy the odds and win this year's flag.

"It's a great opportunity, and I think to myself, 'Could you win it this year?' I think you could, because I think everybody might drop their guard, and if they drop their guard and you lift 5 per cent and they drop 5 per cent, it's a very even ball game," he said.

"If you do it together as a team, it could be exciting … if you march out and go to war every week."

Sheedy, who returned to Punt Road last year as commercial and membership ambassador, told the players there were good reasons why they were capable of lifting themselves above last year's ninth placing and defying their $18 odds to raise the premiership cup in 2009.

"You've got enough experience, you've definitely got enough youth. For God's sake, you have to have the hunger. I mean, it's a quarter of a century (since Richmond's last flag). So when you reach deep down into yourself, how do you want to see this year?

"Don't just roll out another footy season like the last 25, because you have a chance, and there are a number of reasons you have a chance.

"One is, I think, the draw could be a good draw for you. You don't often get that. Secondly, I think that everyone will talk about Geelong and Hawthorn and that Richmond may make it. Well, that doesn't have to be like that. That's when your willpower comes into it. So when you see yourself sitting down in 10 years, like the great Kevin Bartlett and the great Richmond players looking back at their life, they can honestly, justifiably say, 'I tried my absolute 100 per cent best,' and we may have missed one or dropped one here or there, but I can tell you now, I want to know what you're going to think in 10 years time."

Sheedy, who played in premierships sides in 1969, '73, '74 during his 251-game career with the Tigers, said the spirit of players such as captain Chris Newman, Nathan Foley, Shane Tuck, Trent Cochin and Jack Riewoldt could lift Richmond.

"Yes, there's a bit of class there, and that will take you a fair way, but it's that sort of vision and planning and spirit, along with your coach and your coaching staff you need to go somewhere. And why not this year? Why not?"

Senior coach Terry Wallace last night outlined five reasons he believed Richmond would improve on 2008.

He said the Tigers had finally assembled a list that was good enough. The club's senior players had had fabulous preseasons. The Tigers had more depth, pointing to the likes of former Essendon player Tom Hislop, Port Adelaide's Adam Thomson, along with Ben Cousins.

Wallace said players such as Andrew Raines, Dean Polo and Mark Coughlan were again fit and the club's young leaders wanted to create their own history.

He said the Tigers were ready to handle the hype accompanying their start to the season. "Will there be pressure on us?" he asked. "Yes, there will. But bring on the expectation, because that won't be any greater than the expectation these blokes bring on themselves."

Bartlett last night presented the senior list with their jumpers.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/sheedy-talks-flags-to-tigers/2009/03/19/1237054913511.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Kevin Sheedy says Tigers can win a flag in 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:19:40 AM »
No pressure eh Sheeds!   :-X

At this rate we'll be talking next week about the next 5 flags in a row  :rollin.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:13:05 AM »
Sheeds..... Could sell ice to the Eskimo's I reckon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »
He sure misses coaching. lol.

Good to have Sheeds back even if this is basically just another marketing stunt.

Besides not much wrong with aiming for the sky, hopefully we might hit a tree.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
I wonder what some of the reactions from the players were

Jack   I could imagine him standing on his seat and pumping his fist looking at the others saying yeah boys we can do this

Richo Thinking to himself, FFS I was only planning to carry them into the finals now I have to carry them to a flag

Lids   Giving Sheeds the same look he gives Symonds in the Greatest Sportsman show that suggest he is wondering what this fella is on 

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
Well going under the radar hasn't worked in previous years so why not talk ourselves up as being WORLD BEATERS. :lol
Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »
As he spoke and made the comment about the Flag I just grab for my drink  :P

Actually is kinda funny... If Tezza, March or any player made that statement we'd want to hang them.

Sheeds makes it and we basically laugh it off as Sheeds being Sheeds

As he spoke I thought "gawd the media will have field day with this, ditto the the folks I work with... haven't been disappointed with the reaction

Did he say "we will win it"? Nope but struth you'd think that's what he said....

Actually the most interesting thing from his whole speech from my perspective was the fact he kept telling players what they owed "their coach and coaching staff"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »
I don't think Sheed's comments have added any pressure at all. What I got from it was that if we were to lift and play to our potential we are a chance as long as the players believe in themselves and back their own ability then a flag is a possibility. Very well worded if you ask me. A nice little motivations spruik  :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
If you dont believe in yourself then no one else will, someone at Richmond has to try and make the players believe, most of us reckon that theyre not quite there, but a consistent message based on lifting yourself to succeed, eventually must sink in ... of course if we lose the first 3 games, everyone will say sheeds was having a lend, but Im not dismissive of what he has done or what he said.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:31 PM »
Whilst we're at it.

Cousins to have a fairytale return with a premiership

Schulz to kick sixty goals

Richo to win the Brownlow

Tambling - Buddy who?

Connors to win the Rising Star

Cogs to get back to near his best

McGuane to become the competition's premier defender

McMahon to win the Norm Smith Medal

Polak to make a miraculous return to senior football

Raines to echo memories of his father

Thomson & Hislop to become the recycled recruits of the decade

Post Richo's heir apparent

If we say it enough it must come true!

Feel free to contribute. ;D

richmondrules

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
That's a damn good list there Mr M. Dare I say a Magic list :D

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
LOL MM

A couple of mine are

Jordan McMahon wins most punishing tackle of the year after reducing G Ablett to tears in a bone crunching tackle

JON wins goal of the year after dodging 18 Dawks players,two of their waterboys and one of their runners in a 21 man rolling zone and slots through a goal from 60m out

Moi

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
Actually the most interesting thing from his whole speech from my perspective was the fact he kept telling players what they owed "their coach and coaching staff"
Great that he's supporting them publicly.  I hope that lasts.

Personally, I would be happy if we win round one, and then we reassess and try and win round 2 etc.  Nothing like getting ahead of ourselves  ::)

Be confident but don't do a Peter Schwab on us thanks  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
Good to have Sheeds back even if this is basically just another marketing stunt.
Yep Sheeds has done his marketing role well because Richmond again is in the major papers and was talked about on the footy radio stations today.

Prefer though this kind of statement was kept behind closed doors for the players themselves and no one else. Preseason talk in public is cheap. It's actions that the football world remembers and until we prove otherwise everyone will laugh at us making such a comment after just 2 finals appearances in 26 years even if it comes from Sheeds.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd