Author Topic: Tigers just want to compete: Bowden  (Read 4496 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers just want to compete: Bowden
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »
Here's the podcast courtesy of SEN of Joel's interview at training:

http://www.podsentral.com/sites/default/files/Matt%20cross%20for%20Podcast.mp3

More here on the Herald-Sun site with video of the interview

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25268977-19742,00.html

Finn Bradshaw with AAP
March 31, 2009 12:45pm

Speaking before training today, veteran Joel Bowden said the team has tried to learn from last week's disappointment.

"We did the review on Friday and went through areas to improve on, areas we though we did OK ... there weren't too many we did OK on, unfortunately.

"This week we're going to be as competitive as we possibly can. Geelong are a very good side ... it's going to be a great challenge for us. In some ways that's a good thing for us ... we have to get back on the horse and show we're ready to go," Bowden said.

While admitting there were areas to work on, Bowden stressed that the team wasn't throwing the bady out with the bathwater.

"We don't train for six months to have one bad loss and then say everything's broken. So we're going to train today on the areas we've been training the past few months," he said.

Bowden put the onus on he and his teammates to put in better effort against Geelong on Saturday than they did in last Thursday's season opener, when they were humiliated by Carlton.

"Perhaps if we're not competitive maybe there's changes made to personnel or changes made to the structure or the system that we're trying to implement," he said.

Richmond's nightmare start - in which they were thrashed by 83 points on a massive stage and lost Ben Cousins and Andrew Raines to injury - heaped the pressure on Wallace and the players, who are out to reach the club's first finals series since 2001.

Bowden said the Tigers had to quickly learn to respond in the best way even though the Cats at Skilled Stadium represent one of the game's most formidable assignments.

"Football is a very, very hard game and someone once said footy's about 90 per cent mental and only 10 per cent physical," he said.

"This week against Geelong we need to go in with a very, very strong mindset that we're going to go hard at the ball and play our role.

"Everyone has to play their role, from the most senior to the most junior player, they're going to have to do better, myself included ... we have to make sure we're competitive because last week we weren't competitive."

Bowden said the mood at the club was still a positive one, although he had adopted a bunker-down approach by steering clear of newspapers, radio and television for the week.

"Although I do hold a position at the players' association (he is the AFLPA president) in a week like this I've decided to not be so involved in consuming (media)," he said.

So, Bowden said he was unaware of comments made by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who made the link between the Richmond coaching job and Kevin Sheedy.

"You know what? I missed that one," Bowden said.

BEN Cousins has taken the first steps on the road to recovery from the hamstring injury he suffered in his comeback match.

The Tigers' boom recruit jogged slowly along the boundary line with medical staff at Richmond training this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25268977-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers ready for Geelong challenge (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
Tigers ready for Geelong challenge
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 1:30 PM Tue 31 March, 2009

RICHMOND stalwart Joel Bowden says the Tigers have picked themselves up and are ready for the ultimate challenge against Geelong at Skilled Stadium this week.

“The mood’s okay, we just need to make sure we’re competitive this week – it’s a great challenge for us against Geelong,” he said from Victoria Park on Tuesday.

“We did the review on Friday and went through areas to improve on, and areas that we thought we did okay – and there weren’t too many where we did okay, unfortunately.

“The players know that they have to play well – it’s our job.

“We’re employed by to football club to put in a good performance, and last week wasn’t a good performance by any stretch of the imagination.”

There was some semi-good news on the training track with Ben Cousins running (gentle) laps and Trent Cotchin kicking the ball (gently).

And Bowden said the side had come back this week seeking redemption.

“We’re training hard, we had the weekend off to reflect, and everyone’s come back to say we want to do better,” he said.

“We want to be as competitive as we possibly can, and put in a much better performance this weekend.”
Bowden said this week’s game against Geelong – which has lost just three games since North Melbourne beat them in round five 2007 – could be a positive for the Tigers.

“Geelong are a very good side, and they’ve shown that over the last few years,” he said.

“It’s going to be a great challenge for us, and in some ways, that’s probably a good thing for us, make sure we get back on the horse, and make sure that we’re ready to go.

“Drive down to Skilled Stadium and put in our best possible performance.”
Bowden also stressed that in a team game like football, everyone needed to do their bit.

“This week against Geelong, we need to go in with a very very strong mindset, that we’re going to go hard at the ball, and play our role.

“Everyone has to play their role from the most senior to the most junior player, they’re going to have to do better, myself included.

“We all have to play our part. Unlike basketball, where one really dominant player can get the side up, in footy there’s 22 of us, we all need to do our job, play our part, set it up and make sure that we’re competitive this weekend, because last weekend we weren’t.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/74071/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Tigers just want to compete: Bowden
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
In all honesty, Joel shouldn't be there for this weeks game.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »

"Football is a very, very hard game and someone once said footy's about 90 per cent mental and only 10 per cent physical," he said.

Well if its 90 per cent mental and were playing dumb footy, doesn't give us a whole lot to fall back on. Hell at the moment I'd settle for 90 per cent physical and 10 per cent mental. At least we would go hard at the ball and tackle. doesn't take to much grey matter to do that.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

Sentiments shared, but I would probably give all the senior players one game to redeem themselves

Well if its 90 per cent mental and were playing dumb footy, doesn't give us a whole lot to fall back on. Hell at the moment I'd settle for 90 per cent physical and 10 per cent mental. At least we would go hard at the ball and tackle. doesn't take to much grey matter to do that.

Amen to that

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

yep enough is enough

i have defended this guy in the past but no more. He has not gotta defensive bone in his body along with about 18 off his mates

goodbye
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »
gees when bowden won games for us last year eg port and lions, he was a god, one bad game and he is bad again

we all know joel starts the season slow, but he is a class act and just shows that many tiger fans have no idea

hodge picks up a heap of touches as a loose man in defence and he is the best, joel does it and he is crap.  so many double standards in afl, and many many tiger fans have no idea what so ever but believe they know it all and have all the answers

im amazed why all of you know all have never played an afl game at this level
 :banghead

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »
gees when bowden won games for us last year eg port and lions, he was a god, one bad game and he is bad again

we all know joel starts the season slow, but he is a class act and just shows that many tiger fans have no idea

hodge picks up a heap of touches as a loose man in defence and he is the best, joel does it and he is crap.  so many double standards in afl, and many many tiger fans have no idea what so ever but believe they know it all and have all the answers

Its a team game, we can't wait for Joel Bowden to catch up just because he starts the season slowly - he can do that at Coburg.

Do you play AFL? Are you Joel Bowden? If so, why don't you out yourself and impart your wisdom to this forum on how the team could dish up an 83 point defeat to a team that finished below it on the ladder last year.
I
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »
Trawl through my posts if you like Tiger Time I have never been a Bowden supporter.
Doesn't make me any more special than any other poster here but for me having that fraud justify or recognise what we need to do only to play a pacified defensive game with 25+ possessions on Saturday in a 80 point plus walloping is why we are where we are as footy club. 

Now the pro Bowden posters will come on and say how he won us the game last year and AA in 2005 and what not. OK everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have presented an anti Bowden and some here have presented a pro Bowden agenda, but it is a player like him that has epitomised Richmond's standing yet lack of success throughout his career.

Let me encapsulate this

Bowden talented equates to RFC plenty of support plenty of members lots of passion

Bowden the player equates to lazy pacified egocentrical stats accumulation undefensive and undisciplined self preservation and fraudulently comes across as someone who cares aboiut the RFC using his so called saviness and human interest project to come across as caring.

He should not be our face/voice after the game he played on Thursday. This is where Newman needs to save face as skipper of the club. Bowden should not be ahead of a kid like Rance. Rance has 15 years of footy in front of him, Bowden is finished and washed up.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Its a team game, we can't wait for Joel Bowden to catch up just because he starts the season slowly - he can do that at Coburg.

Do you play AFL? Are you Joel Bowden? If so, why don't you out yourself and impart your wisdom to this forum on how the team could dish up an 83 point defeat to a team that finished below it on the ladder last year.
I

based on your team game theory we must drop 90% of the team.
Richo let the team down with his non existant accountability, he has since day dot let the team down with his poor  kicking for goal esp at crucial moments. in a team game one must not let the team down by not chasing and missing sitters. what about newman and deledio, should drop them too after their efforts and dont get me started on foley , who was he playing for our team or the blues, he has a 38% effective disposal count

joel wont be dropped , others will go before him

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »
Trawl through my posts if you like Tiger Time I have never been a Bowden supporter.
Doesn't make me any more special than any other poster here but for me having that fraud justify or recognise what we need to do only to play a pacified defensive game with 25+ possessions on Saturday in a 80 point plus walloping is why we are where we are as footy club. 

Now the pro Bowden posters will come on and say how he won us the game last year and AA in 2005 and what not. OK everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have presented an anti Bowden and some here have presented a pro Bowden agenda, but it is a player like him that has epitomised Richmond's standing yet lack of success throughout his career.

Let me encapsulate this

Bowden talented equates to RFC plenty of support plenty of members lots of passion

Bowden the player equates to lazy pacified egocentrical stats accumulation undefensive and undisciplined self preservation and fraudulently comes across as someone who cares aboiut the RFC using his so called saviness and human interest project to come across as caring.

He should not be our face/voice after the game he played on Thursday. This is where Newman needs to save face as skipper of the club. Bowden should not be ahead of a kid like Rance. Rance has 15 years of footy in front of him, Bowden is finished and washed up.

hodge plays that way, the afl worl love him

bowden , yes the guy who played with a broken cheek bone and has given is all , usually sacrificing his game to plug holes in our teams deficiencies

yes keep bagging him , but keep praising guys like foley who is our worst ball user, who cares if he is fast , flashy and looks like he is busting his gut, he is still way overrated.  joel may look lazy but all good footy players have that extra time.

as for newman, he is no skipper, another mistake by the club

deledio should have been made skipper if they were so dead set at not giving to richo for 1 yr.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
Bowden should never have come back into the side after he was dropped early last year
Even though we finished the year reasonably well, we never played with as much intensity as we did for the games he was dropped with Pettifer.
I don't care if he can a couple of decent games against bottom 4 sides Power & Essendon, his efforts were massively over rated by his fans. They were also balaned out by one of the worst games I've ever seen from a player in his game against Carlton for the centenary game.

As for comparing Hodge & Bowden, don't make me laugh. Hodge is far more versatile than playing on the half back line, he's also a very dangerous forward and brilliant midfielder. His disposal is deadly and he never has the brain farts that Bowden does. Hodge is also one of the hardest players at the ball in the entire AFL. Seriously the comparison is laughable.

As for rating Bowden over Foley, well given your comparison of Hodge & Bowden, I'm not going to pay too much attention to what you have to say anymore.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:30:38 PM »
Deledio is 22
Richo is the teams unoficial heartbeat. They had crap games but they have improvement left.
Bowden is 31 won't improve and is keeping a kid out of the side.
F*** him off and keep him at Coburg permanently.
Would rather Terry sacrifice for the club invest in the future and play Rance week in week out even if we lose than watch Bowden in the side win lose or draw. He is not the future.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Bowden should never have come back into the side after he was dropped early last year
Even though we finished the year reasonably well, we never played with as much intensity as we did for the games he was dropped with Pettifer.
I don't care if he can a couple of decent games against bottom 4 sides Power & Essendon, his efforts were massively over rated by his fans. They were also balaned out by one of the worst games I've ever seen from a player in his game against Carlton for the centenary game.

using that theaory we should have traded richo or delisted him when we last negotiated his contract in order to organise and develop a better functioning fwd line, same goes with sugar in our midfield etc etc

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »

using that theaory we should have traded richo or delisted him when we last negotiated his contract in order to organise and develop a better functioning fwd line, same goes with sugar in our midfield etc etc

Ummmm... no