Author Topic: Richmond's handling of injured players  (Read 2335 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richmond's handling of injured players
« on: September 27, 2004, 04:26:17 PM »
Who has the final say whether someone plays or not? The player, coaches and/or medical staff?

I know most players will say they're right because they don't want to miss games and Club staff will go with that but when you look at how the Club has handled Cogs' groin complaint this year and Gas' knee in the week leading up to the Roos' match last year when he then did it completely, you've got to question why we appear to stuff up when compared to other clubs. We appear in these cases to risk the long term unavailability of our players just so we can score a single win in the up coming match such is the pressure the Club is under not to lose.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond's handling of injured players
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:36:14 PM »
I think in the past they've left it up to the players - or been convinced by the players anyway. I know Campbell declared himself fit in 2003 prior to a trip to the West and then completely stuffed up his calf/achilles....evidently the coaching staff wasn't happy - then again they played him.

I think Gas also felt that he should play last year 'cause he was VC and on big money and yet the medical staff didn't think he was ready.

Hopefully we'll get more professional and if a player isn't right then we won't play them. Even the Lions found out the hard way, you can't afford to take injured players into a game....not unless you're playing the Pies anyway ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:39:35 PM »
Interesting point you raise MT.

Why Cogs played the last 2 games of season 2004 defies logic. Why he started the season when he wasn't fit and was injured was unforgiveable IMO. There was no short term gain but it certainly has given us some long term worries.

Why wasn't Gaspar given the full 12 months to recover from knee reco? I know with Gaspar they told us at the Player Link pre-match functions that he (Gaspar) was saying he was right and they Coaching staff trusted and backed him on his judgement but in the end "blind freddie" could see he wasn't right. It took them what, 15-16 weeks to say it hasn't work? Why?

I have questioned some of the decisions and choices made by our fitness and conditioning staff in the last 12 months. I am also waiting to see if they are going to be there in 2005. We haven't heard anything but surely they would've been getting reviewed wouldn't they?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 04:51:32 PM »
I remember the Club telling us early in the year that Cogs injury would get "better" the more games he played  :banghead.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 05:29:22 PM »
Who has the final say whether someone plays or not? The player, coaches and/or medical staff?

I know most players will say they're right because they don't want to miss games and Club staff will go with that but when you look at how the Club has handled Cogs' groin complaint this year and Gas' knee in the week leading up to the Roos' match last year when he then did it completely, you've got to question why we appear to stuff up when compared to other clubs. We appear in these cases to risk the long term unavailability of our players just so we can score a single win in the up coming match such is the pressure the Club is under not to lose.

Unless it’s a final, no game is worth long-term injury to any player.  Clubs tread a fine line when leaving it up to players to say if they’re right or not.

Surely they have to go with what the medicos say, otherwise why have them there, other than to bandage up players?

Telstra Dome is supposedly the hardest ground in the AFL.  Yet I’ve lost count of the number of times we brought players in who were coming back from hamstring, leg-related injuries.  In those circumstances, wouldn’t you err on the side of caution and give players an extra week, rather than taking a risk when they’re less than 100% fit and risk further, long-term damage?

Taking into account the pre season comp and home and away games, I think we played about 4 of our first 6 or so games at Telstra Dome.  Cogs wasn’t right so they play him for about half a game or so, each week.  Wouldn’t the fact he was spending nearly as much time on the bench as he was on the ground tell you he’s not right.

I remember the Club telling us early in the year that Cogs injury would get "better" the more games he played :banghead.

I’m not sure how they came up with that MT, when, in the end, he couldn’t chase, turn and do all those things he would normally do when fit.  So they finally relent and rest him?

The Gas and Cambo examples just highlight that the decision should always be left to the medical staff.

…you can't afford to take injured players into a game....not unless you're playing the Pies anyway ;D

POW!  Right in the kisser.  Nice shot bg25.  :bow
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 08:14:25 AM »
Does Richmond ever use the hyperbaric chamber?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 02:08:35 PM »

Don't know Julz. I don't recall any Tiger player mentioning spending time in one and I don't reckon we could afford one on our own. Maybe we have or could get a deal with a local medical institution to use one. I mean the Epworth, St Vincent's and Mercy Hospitals are nearby Punt Road Oval/MCG.

Sounds like the Tiges just do with the good ol' ice bath. Remember Benny Gale use to hop into one after every game :o.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 03:25:39 PM »
Sounds like the Tiges just do with the good ol' ice bath. Remember Benny Gale use to hop into one after every game :o.
Bet he needed his trakkie dacks after that ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 01:23:39 AM »
Interesting from the Hun!

------

PORT Adelaide fitness coach Andrew Russell has quit the club and hopes to join a Victorian team.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10933101%255E19742,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 08:24:05 AM »
Ok I'll admit I'm to blame a bit here.  Too much going on up here and stress and everything has meant that I haven't been able to do my job as masseuse.  Or maybe again, that was the problem - softened the players up too much :scream

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 09:16:49 AM »

Don't know Julz. I don't recall any Tiger player mentioning spending time in one and I don't reckon we could afford one on our own. Maybe we have or could get a deal with a local medical institution to use one. I mean the Epworth, St Vincent's and Mercy Hospitals are nearby Punt Road Oval/MCG.

The IVF clinic is just up the road too.