Author Topic: We have the next core to build around  (Read 3021 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: We have the next core to build around
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
So if the club "HYPOTHETICALLY" put up Willy T. at years end, what do you guys reckon we could get for him in terms of draft pick or player swap. Just interested to see all your views on this, coz Ive thought that Thursty was pretty safe list wise.

In your wildest dreams you 'might' get a 3rd round for him - more likely 4-5th.

Hes not that bad surely!
With it being the last draft before GC17 and West Sydney hog the next three years worth of kids it's going to be hard to get a high pick in return for anyone. I think Thursty would be worth a 2nd rounder in an open market if he was put on the trade table and there was no new teams coming in. In saying that I don't think he will be traded because he's going through a rough patch of form of lack of it and if he was traded you'd be better off trading him to GC17 who will pay up higher in terms of a pick than any of the existing clubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
I'm not sure why we would trade either of them - 21 and 22 yo, our club has been addicted to trading for much of the Miller era - this continued last year and in my view, should now be wound right back.

Our problem is the chase for the quick fix, when there are no quick fixes.

Let these young, key position players develop until such time as we feel their potential has been exhausted or the coaches ability to develop them has been exhausted.

When Terry Wallace joined the club, he announced that our club would be about "developing our own" and paraded 5 top 20 draft picks in the 2004 draft.
While that group are not looking nearly as good as the Hawks trio of the same draft, he had the right idea.

He just needs to follow through on the development piece.

The talent is there, it is both the level and speed of development which has to be questioned.
This is why one club names 4 debutants and the other clubs name 1 in the 1st round.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
I'm not sure why we would trade either of them - 21 and 22 yo, our club has been addicted to trading for much of the Miller era - this continued last year and in my view, should now be wound right back.

Our problem is the chase for the quick fix, when there are no quick fixes.

Let these young, key position players develop until such time as we feel their potential has been exhausted or the coaches ability to develop them has been exhausted.

When Terry Wallace joined the club, he announced that our club would be about "developing our own" and paraded 5 top 20 draft picks in the 2004 draft.
While that group are not looking nearly as good as the Hawks trio of the same draft, he had the right idea.

He just needs to follow through on the development piece.

The talent is there, it is both the level and speed of development which has to be questioned.
This is why one club names 4 debutants and the other clubs name 1 in the 1st round.
I agree Y&B about us needing to develop and give time to our own cubs especially our talls.

Although I wouldn't trade Thursty either at this stage, the problem with our trading in the past though is we have given up picks for opposition rejects rather than what other clubs do which is trade players who you don't think are/will be up to it for more picks. We picked up only 2 kids last year and 3 the year before ignoring rookies. That's why we have had only two AFL debutants in Rance and rookie Browne. We really need to go for 5 or 6 kids in this year's draft to carry us through the upcoming draft dark ages. Also GC17 will be poaching uncontracted players next year. We really need to be smart about our list management and if we are forced to let someone go we let who we want to go go. We don't want another Maxfield situation  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd