Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 39704 times)

Ramps

Re: ITS TIME TO GO THE TANK- ITS OUR ONLY HOPE!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
Has anyone got a list of the top 20 players available in this years National Draft. Hopefully we will have 3 picks in the top 18.

bushranger

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
Way we are going we need all of the top 20. Not just a lonely 3 picks.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
terry should go....it's apparent that no matter what happens he will not be coach next year, so letting him coach out the year makes no sense in terms of development.  and terry is the type of coach who has too much pride, and he will be still trying to get as many meaningless wins as he could, which would be jeopardising our future. 

we want a whole swag of picks in the national draft this year.  certainly 3 in the top 20, preferably with pick 1. only way to do that is to play the year out with a caretaker coach who will do what the board wants and tank.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
Guttering way to lose a game but if we take the emotion out of it and think post-2009 now that we are 1-7 then Ramps is right. The Board should keep Terry on until the end of the season and tell him on Tuesday night to do a Ratten for the rest of the season, play the youngsters and aim for a top 2 pick with 4 wins or less so we have 3 picks in the top 20. People will say it's a loser mentality but we aren't good enough to seal wins anyway and its how the stupid draft system works and rewards. Make the most of a bad year by investing in the future.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »
Guttering way to lose a game but if we take the emotion out of it and think post-2009 now that we are 1-7 then Ramps is right. The Board should keep Terry on until the end of the season and tell him on Tuesday night to do a Ratten for the rest of the season, play the youngsters and aim for a top 2 pick with 4 wins or less so we have 3 picks in the top 20. People will say it's a loser mentality but we aren't good enough to seal wins anyway and its how the stupid draft system works and rewards. Make the most of a bad year by investing in the future.

Correct!

Lets take the early picks. Another issue is are there any more handy players in the VFL- ala Nahas. Theres no doubt in my mind your almost better off going with a 20-21 yo VFL player who "knows" how to play the game with the late picks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

Correct!

Lets take the early picks. Another issue is are there any more handy players in the VFL- ala Nahas. Theres no doubt in my mind your almost better off going with a 20-21 yo VFL player who "knows" how to play the game with the late picks.
Nahas really stood out last year with 50 goals from a FP and we took him as a rookie so it didn't cost us a pick. His size or lack of it is why he has been overlooked before. His footy ability and 1%ers are good. Most VFL players though are ordinary - King and Silvester for instance. Skills and/or pace needed at AFL level aren't there.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »

Correct!

Yep!!!

What would have a win proved today. Ooh yeah thats right another mid table finish leaving the new coach nothing to work with.

These are the kind of results that we should have got all those years when we ended up in no man's land (9th).

Nahas and Collins i think are fantastic players and will be good cattle for the new coach to work with. A tick for whoever found him and a tick for bringing Cousins to this club for he is a true champion of the game and should be in the leadership group at once.

Nahas B & F by the length of the straight as it stands right now

Bowden and Brown can set sail into the sunset together because they are finished as footballers for this club.

Sorry Bowden because i have defended him in the past but today i believed he shouldn't have been put on Tredrea so again the fault of our soon to be ex coach Wallace.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Nahas and Collins i think are fantastic players and will be good cattle for the new coach to work with. A tick for whoever found him
Collins was a Miller pick

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
Nahas and Collins i think are fantastic players and will be good cattle for the new coach to work with. A tick for whoever found him

we were just lucky he had severe op when that draft was on

we dont need to tank, we will lose most games when we have those few freeloaders and lazt pricks in our team

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »

well he got something right there.

He didnt get much of the ball today but i liked what i saw.

Its time to say goodbye to Bowden, Simmo and that show pony Brown.

Goodbye and Goodluck

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »

we were just lucky he had severe op when that draft was on

we dont need to tank, we will lose most games when we have those few freeloaders and lazt pricks in our team
Rubbish, Collins developed OP in his first year on our list
He was a smokey on no one elses radar at the time, those in the media knew we liked him, but injury had NOTHING to do with him going late in the draft

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
i actually believe that our needs are quite pointed in terms of a dynamic FF..we are winning plenty of footy for little reward...imagine if we had roughead at FF...there's a few that look as they might be struggling at the level with questions looming over polo but rance will take him over...Tanking will cost us millions in falling gate receipts and memberships..Not sure I see any advantages in taking us to the brink ::)   then again spose we could work our way to 5 picks in top 20 once again to really set ourselves up like we did in 2005, that worked ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »
definitely should play the young players and tank for the rest of the year.  as for wallace, i dont' mind him staying on as long as he is told that he must drop the oldies (except cousins) and tank with the young ones. (though it would be helpful if we appoint the new coach towards the end of the season before the season finishes so he has a couple of games in which to implement his game plan and assess the young players in terms of list management.

best case scenario we get the wooden spoon.  that would ensure we get picks 1 or 2 depending on whether melbourne gets priority pick, and enable us to pick up one of scully or butcher.  We'd get a top 2 pick and 2 more in the top 20.  Josh free as F/S with our last pick and pick 1 in the PSD.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »
I agree that it is time to look to the draft now and play the youth. We can't make the finals now (well it would be a miracle) so fighting out the rest of the season would be counter productive IMHO.With the mass exodus of our senior players including players such as Pettifier, King and JON we need quality youth to replace them with. No use getting rid of older players only to replace them with poor to average players.

Stripes

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
I agree that it is time to look to the draft now and play the youth. We can't make the finals now (well it would be a miracle) so fighting out the rest of the season would be counter productive IMHO.With the mass exodus of our senior players including players such as Pettifier, King and JON we need quality youth to replace them with. No use getting rid of older players only to replace them with poor to average players.

Stripes

smart post

alexander rybak