Author Topic: The Remedy.  (Read 2035 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
The Remedy.
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
I'm heavily involved professionally and personally with the AFL draft every year in terms of my involvement with the Eastern Ranges and Vic Metro so this is a little insight to how we run as a football team considering its very relevant as we need to build a team every 2-3 years to be competitive in the Under 18's.

RFC situation is similar to ours about 6-7 years ago where we thought we had a lot of talent that could take us along way that we foolishly kept more than 70% of teh list for another year. This cause the problem of top leveling our list to tilt it towards success and starving the development of younger talent that wouldn't perform as well at frst but give us teh opportunity in 3-4 years possibly that the current group would not as they woudl be too old. = This relates to the top heavy list that occured at RFC when Frawley left teh club.

I wont go into the specifics out of respect to our boys but relating it to the list RFC has at the present time our Remedy could possibly help the RFC turn it around. To back up our success Vic Metro won the TAC cup last year after our "remedy" that was bolstered by numerous Eastern Ranges players a total of 13 in the squad the highest the Ranges have ever fielded.

The Remedy:
Hard decision that need to be made that relate to what we did:

Players above (x) age that wont feature in the next success of the of club need to go.
Lets have RFC (x) age be 26.

Players that just need to go are:
Bowden
Johnson
Simmonds
Brown
Tuck
Richardson*
Cousins*

I believe that the last 2 have something to offer in terms of teaching younger kids how to play and they serve a good purpose. We kept 2-3 really experienced hard bodies to help out our 1st years. They unfortunately didn't taste success but are still remembered in the building phase.

The oldest player at the club next year should be Mark Coughlan.

We also need to trade for draft picks whilst in a phase of stacking youth. Be flooded with options. Raines, McGuane, Jackson, Graham, Schultz should all be flirted to GC for draft picks.

It's the remedy that we used and I think is really similar to RFC and could work. I must admit being a Tiger supporter since birth it really puzzles me how watery RFC are when it comes to studying the young kids. It's no surprise Collingwood have unearthed some guns cause they put so much time into coming to our games and studying our players. RFC's absence to me is always noticeable. I plead to you RFC to come and study the Under 18's a lot more especially in this time of need to get draft picks right.

Go Tigers!

Con65

Re: The Remedy.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
Popelord...dont know about your Remedy...

but as for RFC not coming down to your club...may i suggest you just call or email Francis Jackson...he has repeatedly said at the pre-draft night...if anyone knows of any kid worth looking at...just call him...he will come down to watch the kid...So just call him...

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »
Don't get me wrong the RFC reps can be seen thought the Under 18 carnivals they are simply no way near as involved as the other clubs have been recently well in the past 11 years I have been involved with Metro.

Being involved we certainly get asked the simple questions of whose the best runner, who has the best key position player, who has the best footy brain etc. But it kills me to give this information constantly to the likes of Collingwood and North Melbourne both clubs heavily involved with studying Under 18 players more so than other clubs in particular Richmond. It just unfortunately shows in our recruiting as I don't see enough work been done on our end of things in comparison to other clubs.

I regards to our remedy the question we asked ourselves for each player offloaded.
What can be gained in terms of team success with this player?

Regarding all players above 28 I hate to say that unfortunately short term success is just not possible as our younger brigade have not developed quick enough (not saying tehy wont be ready at 25/26 years of age) thus these older players have just missed out on being apart of team success. So we need to free there spots up on the list for players that will be at the club in 3-10 years times time when success is possible.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:03 PM »
The Remedy:
Hard decision that need to be made that relate to what we did:

Players above (x) age that wont feature in the next success of the of club need to go.
Lets have RFC (x) age be 26.

Players that just need to go are:
Bowden
Johnson
Simmonds
Brown
Tuck
Richardson*
Cousins*

I believe that the last 2 have something to offer in terms of teaching younger kids how to play and they serve a good purpose. We kept 2-3 really experienced hard bodies to help out our 1st years. They unfortunately didn't taste success but are still remembered in the building phase.

The oldest player at the club next year should be Mark Coughlan.
Bowden and Johnson will retire at the end of the season so that will sort itself out.

Simmonds is the worry at the moment. Totally out of form but our other ruck options are very young and inexperienced :-\.

Browny is slowing down and since the broken leg has lost penetration in his kicking. Needs to be played forward for the rest of his career IMO. You could make the tough decision to cut him if uncontracted but there's probably a number of others who should go first. It's not like he can be traded for a pick.

Like you Popelord I think Richo and Cuz will get one more year although if Cuz's hammy goes again then it'll be curtains for him too.

A bit harsh on Tucky given he and Foley are carrying our midfield at the moment. Tucky is no A-grader but Petts is just as old and would be out the door before him. We also don't know Cogs' future until he returns.

We also need to trade for draft picks whilst in a phase of stacking youth. Be flooded with options. Raines, McGuane, Jackson, Graham, Schultz should all be flirted to GC for draft picks.
The problem now is clubs won't give up good picks given this is the last uncompromised draft to grab kids. You probably get a late 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder at best for a decent player let alone some of the above names. The GC picks exchanged for a uncontracted player next year are determined by some formula based on age and experience/games played. Can we rig the formula to get a top 5 pick for one of the above  ;D

It's the remedy that we used and I think is really similar to RFC and could work. I must admit being a Tiger supporter since birth it really puzzles me how watery RFC are when it comes to studying the young kids. It's no surprise Collingwood have unearthed some guns cause they put so much time into coming to our games and studying our players. RFC's absence to me is always noticeable. I plead to you RFC to come and study the Under 18's a lot more especially in this time of need to get draft picks right.
Having the worst/poorest resources in recruiting over the years makes this comment not surprising. I always felt in the past we based our choices more on watching tapes provided to all clubs for free rather than watching potential draftees live numerous times. I think now it's starting to improve as I know we have scouts looking at leagues as well as the TAC Cup. It would help also if we didn't trade picks away for other clubs' fringe players  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Tucky is harsh I rate him massively but unfortunately because of the lack of development a hard call may have to be made. I think he certainly woudl have some trade value. Certainly to a Gold Coast team that would be dying for a hard body. Realistically you would only keep Tucky if you believed a premiership was possible in 3 years. With a lot of older heads going in the next 2 years I think its a very long shot.

The video tapes show possibly 10% of the player. How they conduct themselves at qtr and 3 qtr time, with coaches and team mates, each player at training, behind the play body language the list goes on and on. At draft camps a club have 2-3 minutes with each player like a speed dating convention. RFC seem to have taken this more seriously then seeing the kids in the flesh and how they conduct themselves.

It's extremely early but 2 kids to watch out for this draft are Jordan Gysbert and Matthew Scott, both wont go top 10 but if you were a scout you'd be keeping an eye on these 2 as smokeys in 2nd round. Melbourne FC rep and Essendon FC have been noticed at our training before our Gold Coast game. I just wish I could see a RFC rep every week.
Go Tigers!

FooffooValve

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
Popelord - a query - Ben Wilson - what junior club does he hail from?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
Willo is another to watch out for, he hails from Emmaus Wattle Park he is one of our Rookies and has been training the house down.
Go Tigers!

FooffooValve

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »
Thanks Popelord, saw him kick a bag in his club GF last year, and wondered whether it was the same kid. Seemed to be ahead of Vastbinder IMO.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »
Both from EWP, both big kids too.

Tend to agree with Wilson he plays a lot taller than he is. Both great young men aswell.
Go Tigers!

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
Got any ideas for this years draft, Pope?

10 FLAGS

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:41 PM »
the remedy sounds alot like the war machine  :help

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »
lmao what a random bump u nuffer

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
lmao what a random bump u nuffer

You have barely been around for 1 year. Pull your head in.