Author Topic: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME......  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME......
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »
What amazes me about you Stripes, with the start of the season the way it has gone, you want Terry to be resigned and you want to attack Richo as a player and a champion of our club.

I dont think he is suggesting either and in regards to TW exactly the opposite, it might pay to actually read his posts

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
What amazes me about you Stripes, with the start of the season the way it has gone, you want Terry to be resigned and you want to attack Richo as a player and a champion of our club.

I dont think he is suggesting either and in regards to TW exactly the opposite, it might pay to actually read his posts
I do Chuck, and even up till last week he posted we should resign TW.
It might actually pay for YOU to read his posts too.
But i'm sure if he disagreed with what i said, HE might have said something.
Thanks anyay Chucky!!  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
Wow! See what happens when you don't read the forum for a couple of days!

Big Tone - Richo is an out and out champion of the club that bleeds yellow and black and is a fantastic bloke all round - that is indesputable. When I say he is 'individualistic' I think you need to read my explanation more carefully. What I am saying is that he looks to win every battle, every mark, every contest on his own.

When Richo plays in the forwardline he only has eyes for the ball. If he is in the pocket the ball is kicked to a leading Schulz etc he will race to the contest, crash the pack and attempt to take the mark himself. This is why Schulz has been injuried so many times by the big fellow and why playing them side by side is unworkable to date.

I don't think Richo plays a team orientated game. In the example above he wouldn't think to shepherd out Schulz's defender, or make a dummy lead to give the other forwards more space to lead. Richo is an incredible mark but his frequent poor kicking often hinders the team on the score board and in terms of morale too.

He has shouldered much of the resposibility of the team for years now and been the face of the club but he has flaws as we all have said. We need to start to look to the future now and see if Richo, despite all the assets he brings to the team, is in fact doing more harm than good to the younger players through his example and team structures.

There is no doubt that we were a better team when Richo was moved out of the forwardline. We became less predictable instantly, had a broader range of gaols kickers and had a tall marking option/link player on the wing. This should have been done years a go to allow our young forwards a chance to develop because the presence of the big fellow swallowed up all the F50 deliveries (and good help the midfielder who looked beyond Richo to another forward!) and all the space in the 50 (as I have already refered to with Rich running from anywhere to take the grab).

I think its too late now, but if Richo could develop a defensive game to compliment his offensive game then he would be unstoppable but the facts remain that he doesn't tackle, he doesn't shepherd, he does dummy lead, he doesn't block and he doesn't lead the lead the team. If he did he would have been made captain decades a go.

Our senior players need to lead through word and deed, and despite their obvious strengths they have the same glaring weaknesses that have been dragging down this team for decades. We need our champions to do the 1% if we ever hope our young developing players will and if they can't then judgements need to be made if we have any chance for future success.

Stripes
(a.k.a peanut)

Agree 100% with what you say Stripes (or is it peanut now).  Richo never was and never will be captain material.  He has played his whole career in an individualistic manner and didn't get anywhere the maturity level needed to be seriously considered for captaincy until he was too old.  And judging by a couple of instances in games so far this year, maybe he is still not mature enough.  Petulant on field berating and overt displays of annoyance with your team mates are not the way of effective captaincy, especially when you have a personal history of letting your team mates down with poor conversion.  He might bleed yellow and black, he might have remained extremely loyal in testing times, he might have been 'head and shoulders' the best player in the club in the past 20 years but he never was and never will be a suitable candidate for captain.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
Big tone.You are correct Sir...no one has said that Richo if off limits.I can only speculate that it how you feel given your strong response to Matthew being called "indivualistic"Do I think Richo is indivualistic....that depends on what your definition of indivualistic is.Do I think Richo is a selfish player...Big Fat No.
The only grievance i have with Richos game apart from the obvious(kicking for goal) is his lack of defensive pressure.When a team like Richmond has a reputation as being "soft as butter" and its spiritual leader only averages 0.5 tackles a game-somthing is wrong.

Lets compare apples with apples.

Matthew Richardson...games 280   career tackles 132
Buddy Franklin.....games 85  career tackles 173

You can draw your own conclusions.

Richo is still my hero and you only have to look at my office which is a shrine to the big fella to understand that.
Unleash the tornado

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
Wow! See what happens when you don't read the forum for a couple of days!

Big Tone - Richo is an out and out champion of the club that bleeds yellow and black and is a fantastic bloke all round - that is indesputable. When I say he is 'individualistic' I think you need to read my explanation more carefully. What I am saying is that he looks to win every battle, every mark, every contest on his own.

When Richo plays in the forwardline he only has eyes for the ball. If he is in the pocket the ball is kicked to a leading Schulz etc he will race to the contest, crash the pack and attempt to take the mark himself. This is why Schulz has been injuried so many times by the big fellow and why playing them side by side is unworkable to date.

I don't think Richo plays a team orientated game. In the example above he wouldn't think to shepherd out Schulz's defender, or make a dummy lead to give the other forwards more space to lead. Richo is an incredible mark but his frequent poor kicking often hinders the team on the score board and in terms of morale too.

He has shouldered much of the resposibility of the team for years now and been the face of the club but he has flaws as we all have said. We need to start to look to the future now and see if Richo, despite all the assets he brings to the team, is in fact doing more harm than good to the younger players through his example and team structures.

There is no doubt that we were a better team when Richo was moved out of the forwardline. We became less predictable instantly, had a broader range of gaols kickers and had a tall marking option/link player on the wing. This should have been done years a go to allow our young forwards a chance to develop because the presence of the big fellow swallowed up all the F50 deliveries (and good help the midfielder who looked beyond Richo to another forward!) and all the space in the 50 (as I have already refered to with Rich running from anywhere to take the grab).

I think its too late now, but if Richo could develop a defensive game to compliment his offensive game then he would be unstoppable but the facts remain that he doesn't tackle, he doesn't shepherd, he does dummy lead, he doesn't block and he doesn't lead the lead the team. If he did he would have been made captain decades a go.

Our senior players need to lead through word and deed, and despite their obvious strengths they have the same glaring weaknesses that have been dragging down this team for decades. We need our champions to do the 1% if we ever hope our young developing players will and if they can't then judgements need to be made if we have any chance for future success.

Stripes
(a.k.a peanut)

Agree 100% with what you say Stripes (or is it peanut now).  Richo never was and never will be captain material.  He has played his whole career in an individualistic manner and didn't get anywhere the maturity level needed to be seriously considered for captaincy until he was too old.  And judging by a couple of instances in games so far this year, maybe he is still not mature enough.  Petulant on field berating and overt displays of annoyance with your team mates are not the way of effective captaincy, especially when you have a personal history of letting your team mates down with poor conversion.  He might bleed yellow and black, he might have remained extremely loyal in testing times, he might have been 'head and shoulders' the best player in the club in the past 20 years but he never was and never will be a suitable candidate for captain.
Awesome! If we keep this up we can have ourselves a bowl of "Peanuts"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »

What amazes me about you Stripes, with the start of the season the way it has gone, you want Terry to be resigned

Where did he say that?  I must have missed that post.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »

What amazes me about you Stripes, with the start of the season the way it has gone, you want Terry to be resigned

Where did he say that?  I must have missed that post.
Why not just ask him....

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »

Why not just ask him....

??  You pebble - are you related to Daniel by chance?

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2009, 02:33:39 PM »
Big tone do you still think we were being to harsh on Jake King ?
Unleash the tornado

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I do Chuck, and even up till last week he posted we should resign TW.
It might actually pay for YOU to read his posts too.
But i'm sure if he disagreed with what i said, HE might have said something.
Thanks anyay Chucky!!  :banghead

No problems happy to help  ;D

I know Stripes (aka peanut) posts are long but they are usually well balanced and logical.  Here are some bits Stripes recently had to say on TW as it looks like you missed them.

I think TW has done his job in terms of starting the rebuild but I think we now have to hand over the reins to a coach who can instill the mental strengths, capabilities, strategies and confidence to go forward.

I lay the blame fore our losses on our players and coach. TW should have placed the players in a 'bubble' before the Carlton game, reduced the hype and ensured they were mentally prepared and focused. He didn't. Tw should have also not attempted to change our defense tactics to mimic Hawthorns because, as we have all witnessed now, other teams are prepared/drilled to work there way through a zone and we are not drilled, lead, coach or committed to executed the tactic. Stripes

If you need any more help on what is well balanced and what is not just advise

Regards Chucky (aka one of the other peanuts in the bowl)

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
I wish to apply for the position of Junior Vice President of the peanut club.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »
I wish to apply for the position of Junior Vice President of the peanut club.

I would also like to apply, intially as the stale old peanut and work my way up to the nobbies variety ;)

To be fair to you bigtone I did say we should reappoint TW last week but I was refering to a quick method to shut the media up. I was not seriously suggesting we should do it from a profession perspective but more for the shock value!

If TW can take the team to the finals I think we should be true to our word and recontract him, though to be honest I now hope he doesn't because we need a new motivator, game plan and leader to take this young list forward.

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
I'll second both you guys in, so that looks like we have a triumvarite (sp?) peanut board.

Go the mighty peanuts.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
I'll second both you guys in, so that looks like we have a triumvarite (sp?) peanut board.

Go the mighty peanuts.

And might I say, collectively a bowl of peanuts way exceeds the IQ level of some posters on here.   :o

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »
last night the light at the tunnel got brighter
well done tiges , lets hope we can build from here and kick start our season