Author Topic: Should we stay away from trades which "parcel" players to Tigerland?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If we accepted the Geelong offer of picks 16, 32 + 2 players, I can't help but think that the likes of Enright, Gardiner or Chambers wouldn't want leave top 4 side Geelong to spend the next say 4 years at Tigerland playing in a side that's rebuilding basically from scratch. I'm also thinking of Blumfield's time at Richmond  :P.

Is it worth the risk to take players who don't necessarily want to leave their current club?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Should we stay away from trades which "parcel" players to Tigerland?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 02:44:46 PM »
If we accepted the Geelong offer of picks 16, 32 + 2 players, I can't help but think that the likes of Enright, Gardiner or Chambers wouldn't want leave top 4 side Geelong to spend the next say 4 years at Tigerland playing in a side that's rebuilding basically from scratch. I'm also thinking of Blumfield's time at Richmond  :P.

Is it worth the risk to take players who don't necessarily want to leave their current club?

It's a very hard question to answer, no doubt Blumfield was shattered to leave the Dons and on top of a major injury never recovered. His heart just wasn't in it for us and I believe irrespective of his injuries he would have never made the grade with us.

If I was Miller I would be having a very serious talk with any potential trade comming our way and making sure that the players heart was really in it other wise I wouldn't bother doing the deal.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »
The saints were in a similar postion to where we are now and along with early picks they also complimented there list with some very good players from other sides. Whether the players in question had the same issues that confront  Enright, Gardiner or Chambers etc is hard to know. Without going thru there season stats, how many of these guys are getting regular games. If they are on the outer then maybe the issue of moving to another club isn't such a big deal particularly if they dont feel like they will contribute to future success of geelong.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 04:04:01 PM »
MY, Enright missed alot of footy this year with a wrist injury. He'd normally be in their best 18/22. Gardiner played 19 matches this year including their last two finals. He's first year of getting a regular senior game. Chambers played 8 games but the missed most of mid-year with a knee injury. He's still a finger player.

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 04:26:37 PM »
Im not advocating that we should pick them up MT...hell i'd rather we were are able to get to first rnd choices. But in attempting to answer your orignal question i just wondered where they might have fitted into geelongs overall plans longterm. The fact Geelong have named these players as trade might not sit well the players in question and might have the reverse effect to the original point you made.... who knows?

Most players would realise these days that there might come a point in ther careers where clubs for one reason or anther cut them lose and "most" probably accept it without losing the desire and or natural ability when moving to another club.

Hard as it would be for chambers and co to leave an environment where success looks good, im of the belief that most accept it and move on.

Call me naive.  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 04:36:27 PM »
No worries MY. Apologies if it came across I thought you were advocating them  :cheers.

As professional footballers it is fair to assume they understand that these type of trades can happen at this time of year and just accept it as part of modern AFL footy and move on. As you say whether this happens in reality or not who knows. I'd guess it would depend on the individual involved.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 04:41:59 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 11:30:32 AM »
Glad this was brought up.  I was going to ask people's thoughts on Chambers last week.

Here are some details.  Only 22 and played 24 games.  Managed 13 games in 2003 and 8 in 2004.

Paul Chambers
Guernsey Number: 31
Height 197cm
Weight: 95kg
Recruited From: Melton South/Western U18
Debut: vs. St Kilda, round 4, 2002
Date of Birth: 23 June 1982

ABOUT THE CATS
Lightly built ruckman stepped up and played 13 games last year after managing three in 2002. Used mostly as a back-up to Steven King but shared the No. 1 role with Peter Street when King was injured in the second half of the season. Competed well at the centre bounces, but needs to do more around the ground.

AWARDS & HONOURS
TAC Cup
Western Jets best & fairest 1999
Western Jets captain 2000

Premierships
VFL 2002 (Geelong)

Representative honours
Victoria Metro under 18 2000 

PLAYER HISTORY
AFL record
2002-03: Geelong - 16 games, 3 goals (2004: 8 games)

Draft history
Selected by Geelong in 2000 rookie draft
Rookie elevation by Geelong in 2001
Rookie elevation by Geelong in 2002

http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=14110
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 12:30:01 PM »
Looks like a bold offer no doubt they will get bigger and better as the trade period goes on!

Im all for Parcels, as has been evidenced by our wooden spoon we need drastic changes and the geelong offer is seriously worth considering, although i believe we should and will get more for Nottens.

Im shocked at how much people rate him!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 01:44:30 PM »
Im shocked at how much people rate him!

And in turn don't rate Frawley  :thumbsup. I'd reckon that has a bit to do with it.