Author Topic: Trade Period: Day One tidbits/SEN reported Otto deal  (Read 36222 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Trade Period: Day One tidbits/SEN reported Otto deal
« on: October 04, 2004, 08:47:58 PM »
Trade Period: Day One tidbits
6:41:12 PM Mon 4 October, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Hawthorn skipper Shane Crawford appears likely to remain at Glenferrie, with Swans recruiting manager Rick Barham indicating that the 1999 Brownlow Medallist hadn't been discussed by Sydney at this stage of the exchange period.

Barham also believes Geelong is still the frontrunner for the services of Tigers' ruckman/forward Brad Ottens.

He also said there was plenty of interest in Swans' duo Jason Saddington and Nic Fosdike, but he was adamant the pair was not on the move.

"There has been a bit there (about Saddington and Fosdike). I keep reading that in the papers but I don't know where it's come from," Barham said.

Russell Robertson and Clint Bizzell are 'not on the table at all' according to Melbourne recruiting manager Craig Camerson.

"They haven't indicated to us that they want to leave the club. They want to stay at the club," Cameron said.

On midfielder Scott Thompson, who wants to return to South Australia, Cameron said Adelaide was 'very keen', while Port Adelaide had also shown 'an interest in him'.

Cameron said the Demons would be keen on Port Adelaide youngster Steven Salopek, but he added that getting him back to Victoria was unlikely.

"We'd be interested in Salopek, but I'm not sure they're that keen for him to leave and I don't know that Salopek wants to (come home) to Melbourne," Cameron said.

Cameron said Demons' duo Darren Jolly and Peter Walsh had also been discussed in deals.

"There's a little bit of action with Darren and there's a little bit of interest in Peter Walsh and not many clubs have spoken to us about Daniel Ward at this stage," Cameron said.

Cameron also said the Demons had shown some interest in Hawthorn's Lance Picioane, but not his teammate Angelo Lekkas, while he added that Travis Johnstone and Steven Armstrong wanted to remain at Melbourne.

West Coast coach John Worsfold was very strong on trying to attain Hawthorn vice-captain Nathan Thompson.

"We'd like to get him, but it's hard to say whether we will or not," Worsfold said.

"(We'll do) whatever it takes, but obviously with our first-round draft pick, which is up for offer, we're keen to deal with Adelaide, with Tyson Stenglein.

"A first-round pick is not enough for Adelaide, so we've got to come up with a fair bit better than that, (so it will be) another player or another pick. We don't want to miss out on both."

He added that talks were 'good' with Adelaide regarding Stenglein, while he said the club had not received many offers on Chad Morrison. But Worsfold said Daniel Kerr and David Wirrpunda were required players, while 'a lot of clubs have shown some interest' in Callum Chambers.

Heath Black has again attracted interest from Fremantle, which was confirmed from St Kilda recruiting manager John Beveridge.

"There's been a bit of indication that he might want to move. I don't know whether he strongly wants to go back. But we really wouldn't want to lose him. If it is any sort of a possibility, we need to be adequately compensated," Beveridge said.

Hawthorn football manager John Hook said full-back Jon Hay would remain at the club, while he added the Hawks were likely to off-load Picioane.

"There's some interest with Lance and we'll try and endevour to find a home for him," Hook said.

Hook also said if a deal was not good enough, Hawthorn would not trade Thompson.

Six-time Western Bulldogs best-and-fairest winner Scott West, Crawford and Picioane were not discussed by Essendon.

But Bombers' coach Kevin Sheedy said he didn't 'mind' Richmond defender/forward Ty Zantuck, while he added the Dons could help Geelong and Richmond in an Ottens deal.

Richmond director of football Greg Miller believes the Kangaroos have the upper hand for the services of Ottens.

"They're being very genuine in their attempt, but I would doubt that they would be able to secure it. (There is) some interest from a couple of other clubs, asking the question," Miller said.

"They're (Geelong) trying to trade with the Kangaroos, but at this stage the Kangaroos were the most emphatic. Collingwood were very silent on the matter."

He added that Nathan Thompson had not come up in Richmond's discussions.

Miller said they would like to 'get' Fremantle ruckman/forward Troy Simmonds and confirmed the club had spoken to the Dockers about luring him back to Victoria.

But Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley said the club was unlikely to get Ottens at this stage.

"Where does Greg Miller get that stuff from? In all honestly, I can tell you and look you in the eye, we're not. Guys, honestly, I reckon we're just about out of the race for Ottens. I can honestly tell you that."

But Fremantle said it was hoping to keep Simmonds, according to football manager Steven Icke, but the Dockers had received some interest in forward/midfielder Troy Longmuir.

"We've said a second round pick and we'll stick with that," Icke said on Longmuir, who wants to head to Richmond, according to his management.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173976
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Trade Period: Day One tidbits
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 08:59:57 PM »

But Bombers' coach Kevin Sheedy said he didn't 'mind' Richmond defender/forward Ty Zantuck, while he added the Dons could help Geelong and Richmond in an Ottens deal.

Surprise suprise .... Sheedy sniffing around for Ty ;)

He (Miller)added that Nathan Thompson had not come up in Richmond's discussions.

Thank goodness for that!

Miller said they would like to 'get' Fremantle ruckman/forward Troy Simmonds and confirmed the club had spoken to the Dockers about luring him back to Victoria.

Dockers don't have much choice other than to talk to us  :thumbsup

But Fremantle said it was hoping to keep Simmonds, according to football manager Steven Icke, but the Dockers had received some interest in forward/midfielder Troy Longmuir.

"We've said a second round pick and we'll stick with that," Icke said on Longmuir, who wants to head to Richmond, according to his management.

Troy Longmuir  ???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 09:01:57 PM by mightytiges »

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 09:04:07 PM »
Thats no surprise about Ty ;)
Will be a bomber ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »
Sheedy loves his mongruel types. Sheeds see Ty as Paul Barnard Mark II.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 09:35:43 PM »
It was reported on Channel 7 news that Brad Ottens has refused to be traded to the Kangaroos - under no circumstances would Ottens go to the Roos.

guess what Brad you aint got many choices >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 09:41:47 PM »
Thats no surprise about Ty ;)
Will be a bomber ;)

But do we get in return? Pick or player? Henneman?

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 09:44:59 PM »
Hennerman? Please NOOOOOO

For all  his Faults Ty is a far better player(not hard i know)

Worst Nightmare = Hennerman and Longmuir playing for us...

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 09:57:19 PM »
Can't we just send Ottens to his least favoured club? What does it mean that he doesn't want to go there? Does he have to go where we send him? LMFAOOOOO if he does. Send him to the farken Hawks or Bulldogs. stuff the prik!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 10:13:56 PM »
We can only trade Otto to a Club he agrees to go to. He's basically now demanding that we make a trade with the Cats or he'll put a massive price on his head and go to the Pies for nothing in the PSD.
Maybe Roos coach Laidley knew this already.

As for Sheeds. The Bombers want midfielders so maybe he's after someone like an Enright, Corey, etc.. and would be willing to give up their first pick if we chuck in Zantuck as well.

Geelong lose pick 16, player(s)/picks ; gain Ottens
Essendon lose pick 13; gain, Geelong player(s)/picks and Ty
Richmond gain #13, #16.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 10:32:41 PM »
If Geelong don't front up with two first roundrs I say we keep him, pay him 500k grand and make him sit on the bench at Coburg and be given direct orders to be ignored by all the playing group. Torture the A-hole! (500k isn't much of a punishment, but being alienated and derided at every opportunity by his peers will make him feel like schit. ROFLFMAOOOO@the thought of it!)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 12:04:20 AM »
I'm beginning to remember why I hated Geelong for most of the nineties as well...their supporters are grade-A hicks and idiots :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 12:18:33 AM »
Trades - Your Club
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 5, 2004

The Tigers lead the race for homesick Fremantle ruckman/forward Troy Simmonds, who looms as an ideal replacement for Brad Ottens. Ottens wants to leave Punt Road and has nominated Geelong as his preferred club. Richmond football manager Greg Miller said Simmonds was a "suitable type of player to replace Brad". Essendon became the first club to show interest in Ty Zantuck, who also wants a fresh start.

Kevin Sheedy said he was interested in Richmond's Ty Zantuck, after learning that the Tigers would accept a draft pick "down the line a bit" for the defender. Sheedy said the Bombers could be the third club that gets Brad Ottens to Geelong, and that the only players Essendon would be letting go were kids searching for greater opportunity elsewhere.

The Dockers will try to convince Troy Simmonds to stay, rejecting Richmond's offer of a draft pick for the ruckman-forward.

Geelong is still in the race for Richmond ruckman Brad Ottens, who has nominated the Cats as his preferred club. But Tigers football manager Greg Miller was giving nothing away yesterday, saying the Kangaroos had edged ahead of the Cats on day one. "Geelong are doing the best they can, but at this stage I still think the Kangaroos have got the best offer on the table, which is pick 10 and something else in the first round," Miller said. "Geelong are trying their hardest to get under that, trying to do a deal with a club below (pick) 10 . . . but I doubt that they'll be able to secure it."

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley scoffed at suggestions from Richmond that the Roos were in front position to secure Brad Ottens. "Honestly, we are just about out of the race for Ottens," said Laidley. "It is just not going to happen."

Sydney Coach Paul Roos conceded that the scarcity of early picks up for trade meant the Swans would find it difficult to offer Richmond a suitable deal for Brad Ottens.

Bulldog Lindsay Gilbee has already asked to be traded and there is also speculation Patrick Bowden could be reunited with his brother Joel - and former coach Terry Wallace - at Richmond.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/04/1096871819009.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 08:14:51 AM »
Dean Laidley was on SEN this morning and suggested that the Ottens deal was about done with Geelong and said he wouldn't be surprised if it is finalised by 12.00pm today. He also said that he was not prepared to give up one of his younge "star" players for Ottens ;)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 10:12:07 AM »
We can only trade Otto to a Club he agrees to go to. He's basically now demanding that we make a trade with the Cats or he'll put a massive price on his head and go to the Pies for nothing in the PSD.
Maybe Roos coach Laidley knew this already.

As for Sheeds. The Bombers want midfielders so maybe he's after someone like an Enright, Corey, etc.. and would be willing to give up their first pick if we chuck in Zantuck as well.

Geelong lose pick 16, player(s)/picks ; gain Ottens
Essendon lose pick 13; gain, Geelong player(s)/picks and Ty
Richmond gain #13, #16.

Agree mighty.

The crafty Sheedy is sniffing around - he is the master of 3rd party dealings and usually always comes out on top.  He is after some pace and will ask for Wojcinski along with Zantuck for their first pick.  If the cats can throw a player like Enright our way along with picks 13 and 16, then I would take the deal.  Otherwise I would hold off and see if the cats can get pick 7 for us off the maggots.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 10:38:05 AM »
Lets hope the deal is done and dusted today, the sooner brad and zantuck are off our list the better!

Go sheed's! :thumbsup