Author Topic: Tigers must look to the past to go forward (The Age)  (Read 1977 times)

Tigers must look to the past to go forward (The Age)
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:51:26 AM »
"Tigers must look to the past to go forward" (The Age)

IN 2005, I interviewed Wayne Campbell before his 297th and final game with Richmond. We met at Punt Road. One of the first things he did once we were inside the old black and yellow rooms was open a door from which we could see the green of the oval. That, he said, is one of the best things this footy club has got going for it — the club's connection to its original base...
Richmond Football Club is a great character of the game. Like Collingwood, but a lot funnier. In recent years the affairs of the Richmond Football Club have largely been comedy. You have to remember that Richmond had its best years when it was ruled by a dictator named Graeme Richmond. We are talking about a dictator in the communist manner, or what was supposed to be the communist manner.

Richmond has got possibly the best piece of real estate in the game. Over the road from the blood-curdlingly tough suburb from which the football club came, the ground pre-dates the chaos of the club's recent history and goes back to the days when Jack Dyer was a man and not a football legend.

The club won under Jack in 1943. It didn't win again until 1967, which was the start of its period of greatness — five premierships in 13 years — and the source of many of its present woes. The Tigers were great within living memory but aren't any more.

Near enough the second thing Campbell showed me on the eve of his last game was the Richmond Football Club museum, introducing me to its then curator, Ronnie Reiffel. We went together through the several rows of glass cases, finding bits and pieces of interest. I noted the relationship between Campbell and Reiffel. They shared a similarly intelligent appreciation of the club history.

Campbell won four best and fairests with Richmond. He went within one vote of winning it in his first year as a 19-year-old from Bendigo. He was captain for four years. Those who played under him speak highly of his leadership qualities. He also happens to be one of the smartest blokes I've met in footy. He was a smart player. Doug Vickers, who recruited him, said he was always two moves ahead of the play. "He'd give it to you because he'd see who you could give it to."

Dale "Flea" Weightman, a Richmond icon, told me Campbell was misunderstood by Richmond supporters because he wasn't in the old "knock-'em down Richmond mould". And he wasn't. He was ahead of the game. He was playing it like it's played now. Since retiring, he has spent a year at the Western Bulldogs as an assistant coach to Rodney Eade — as good a place as any to further your football education. Eade's record of starting games without a winning hand and winning has to be as good as anyone's.

The day Campbell took me around Punt Road, he showed me a photograph of former property steward Dusty O'Brien. He said that if anyone summed up Richmond for him, it was Dusty. "He was hard, he'd been in the war, he gave his all for Richmond. He kept his thoughts to himself but he knew the blokes who had a go, he knew the blokes who didn't, and you knew if you had his respect or not."

A former Geelong Grammar student who owned a pub and otherwise dealt with punk rock bands, "GR", as he was known, was utterly ruthless, but what was undeniable was that he always acted in the best interests of the club.

In 1966, there was even a plan to install GR as the game's first manager/coach in the manner of Manchester United's Alex Ferguson, a man he, it might be said, resembled.

GR's exit followed the departure from the club of three key members of the 1980 premiership team — centre-half forward David Cloke, centreman Geoff Raines and defender Bryan Wood. The Tigers never recovered. The club which had been ruled with an iron fist became a club of fierce and indiscriminate internal disputes.

Leon Daphne, then the head of Nissan in Australia, was considered a very good Richmond president. He was brought down from within. If Shakespeare had been a sportswriter, he might have called the incident a tragedy.

I am spending this season with Melbourne. In the way that I judge these things, Melbourne is a good footy club. I'm not saying the people who ran the club before Jimmy Stynes took the presidency lacked either energy or good intentions. I am saying ideas that live in the public mind can have real force. As a player, everyone knew where Stynes was coming from. As president, it's pretty much the same. If the person at the centre of an organisation is seen to be acting for the right reason, that example spreads like ripples from a rock dropped into a pond. It's all about the power that comes from within.

Richmond needs to signal the carnival is over. It needs someone credible to say this is where we come from, this is where we are going and why. Ben Gale coming back as club president would give Richmond a real chance of finding the sort of motivation and focus it needs. So, I believe, would Wayne Campbell as coach.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-must-look-to-the-past-to-go-forward/2009/05/15/1242335882948.html?page=2

Re: Tigers must look to the past to go forward (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »

I am starting to think that Campbell maybe the man for the job.

We need to find out. The club needs to move TW on and appoint Wayne Cambell as Caretaker so we can find out.

:thumbsup

'65

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »

We need to find out. The club needs to move TW on and appoint Wayne Cambell as Caretaker so we can find out.

'65

What if Wayne doesn't want to be caretaker?

Who gets the gig then  ???
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »

'65

Two things

1 The club would sound him out first and

2. Tell him, If he doesn't accept then he will not get shortlisted at the end of the year.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
This charade will over be soon and IMO campo will be our next coach.
We should learn a lot from ratts when he took over as Caretaker. Honourable losses in that year till he was announced coach at the end of the year.

LMAO at some people who dont like Campo and to think these were the same people just last year who were gunning for TW to sign on again after our finish to the end of the season.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
This charade will over be soon and IMO campo will be our next coach.
We should learn a lot from ratts when he took over as Caretaker. Honourable losses in that year till he was announced coach at the end of the year.

LMAO at some people who dont like Campo and to think these were the same people just last year who were gunning for TW to sign on again after our finish to the end of the season.

OMFG Daniel and I agree.

Where's the shotgun?

:help

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »

'65

Jeff Gieschen  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Decent article I must say.  I'm still not on or off the Campbell coaching wagon - haven't made up my mind yet, but I like what he said about Benny Gale.  I think he has the strength of character and street cred that would be an improvement on the publicly less polished March.  I'm not saying March must go and I state now I believe his administration have done a good job in turning the club around from 'Caseywreck' but I just get the feeling there is something missing at the top.  Don't know what is is or how to describe it - there just seems to be a disconnect between them and the football entity.  Maybe it's just plain old football nous.

Moi

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »
You all fall for pretty words and sentiments  you want to hear
Actions speak louder than words kiddies
He's demonstrated nothing to say he will be a great coach
Excuse me if I'm sceptical

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »

I agree, so why not make him caretaker and find out.

Moi

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »

I agree, so why not make him caretaker and find out.

Because there's not a chance in this world that the club, now seemingly run by one of his best mates in Free, won't give him the gig at the end of it, especially if it's believed we are going down the "honourable loss" path as Daniel advocates.

Moi

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »

'65

Jeff Gieschen  ;D
Remembering how we put him in as interim coach and then what happened afterwards after we all got excited at a couple of wins  :help

Moi

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »
If he's a former Richmond person great, but WE WANT THE BEST AVAILABLE.
We deserve the best after what we've been through
If you want a Tiger person, Prescott is better qualified at this stage of his career
He's at least done an apprenticeship and is highly touted by the footy fraternity

Moi

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »

'65

If he doesn't have the confidence in his abilities to be caretaker, we should be taking him out of the mix for the senior role I reckon.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »
4 things
* Tony Free is a voice amongst 10 people, he isnt running the club.
* Wallace would of been gone 2 weeks ago ,but there is an issue with his contract, and Richmond hasnt got the $$$$$$$$$ to pay him out ( as it paid for the Ben Holland fiasco ;), although there will be a comprimise soon ( within a fortnight)
* Wayne Campbell will be caretaker coach. Wayne is a great person and his ideas on footy are similiar to Mattys  At least you we will all be able to go the footy in a few weeks and enjoy a quicker style,direct game.
* and if anyone thinks Terry cares about the RFC , is are all on DRUG, Terry cares for Terry $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I might tell you one day ;)