Author Topic: Kane Johnson led Tiger player revolt: Caro (Age)  (Read 3138 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane Johnson led Tiger player revolt: Caro (Age)
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
Johnson led Tiger revolt
Caroline Wilson | May 21, 2009

KANE Johnson has emerged as a key participant in Monday's player push to have Terry Wallace removed as coach of Richmond.

Although it was captain Chris Newman who delivered the unpalatable message to Wallace three days ago, The Age understands that Newman's predecessor Johnson was the loudest voice in the small group of Richmond footballers who heavily influenced the rookie skipper to approach the coach.

As the dust settled yesterday on the strife-torn club, it became apparent that Tiger football boss Craig Cameron made it clear to the players in no uncertain terms that they would not be deciding Wallace's future.

Cameron's message was not only backed up by president Gary March but also endorsed by significant voices in the playing group including veterans Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden.

It has now become clear that Newman strongly suggested to Wallace on Monday that he step aside as coach.

The new skipper, who was celebrating his 27th birthday, said he believed the playing group had reached the end of its professional relationship with Wallace.

A number of concerns were raised and it also became clear that some senior players believed that Wallace would soon be gone and had become fearful the club could retain him until the end of the year.

By Monday night, Newman was reportedly remorseful once he realised the massive ramifications of his actions.

Having been encouraged to work on improving communication between coach and players, Newman at some point in recent days had become overwhelmed by concern that Wallace had lost a significant group of players.

The club has privately vowed to continue to support Newman as captain with the prevailing view that his performance on Monday in confronting Wallace was well-intentioned if naive.

Johnson, 31, who stepped down as captain last year and has had misgivings about the coach for at least a year, is due to return from injury some time in June.

He is understood to have spoken with Newman and had received some support from another senior player in Troy Simmonds. Jake King also spent a small portion of time speaking with Wallace in Newman's presence.

It is not known whether Johnson has been spoken to by club executives, all of whom refused to comment yesterday on what took place in Tuesday's talks.

Wallace, in turn, believed he was facing the sack on Monday night and revealed as much to at least one associate, which explained the misreporting of his fate which took place two days ago.

The coach was never sacked and the Richmond hierarchy made its case plain to the players at the start of Tuesday's meeting.

Bowden and Richardson spoke out strongly against a player revolt, pointing out that such a decision was not theirs to make and that the club's reputation would only be further damaged should the players be seen to have sacked the coach.

The Tuesday talks, which took place with 13 senior players in Port Melbourne, revealed a number of divisions among the playing group regarding the coach's future and Wallace's comments to Mitch Morton after the Port Adelaide loss were only briefly raised.

While Wallace stayed away from the club yesterday, as is customary for a Wednesday, the coach is understood to have emerged from Tuesday's crisis meeting satisfied that he had the support of the Richmond board and administration to continue as coach of the club until the end of the season.

Although Wallace and the club remain mutually convinced that he will not receive another coaching contract, the preference is for Wallace to complete the season after his fate has been decided by June's much-vaunted mid-year review.

The crisis talks also made it clear to the decision-makers at the club that internal development required some external assistance, with a program such as Leading Teams — utilised, among others, by the highly successful Geelong in recent years — put forward as one possible solution to player issues at Tigerland.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/johnson-led-tiger-revolt/2009/05/20/1242498807872.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kane Johnson led Tiger player revolt: Caro (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
IF ANY OF YOU THINKK CHRIS NEMMAN IS THE RIGHT MAN TO LEAD THS CLUB THEN YOUR ON DRUGS.

TRADE NEMMAN RIGHT NOW. HE IS A stuffin LIABILITY.

Who does he think he is and to partner Sugar in this revolt is comical to say the least.

Send him to GC17 or to the Blues. stuff HIM OFF NOW

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Johnson, Simmonds and Jake King of all people!!!! 

Gaspar was playing better footy than all 3 put together when we sacked him.

See ya later losers. LMFAO at all of you. Now FO

Offline tigerlily

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »
Why would you bother quoting anything that fat ugly pig idiot gossip slag writes in the fish and chip wrapper

Edit: please do not avoid the swear filter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:11:19 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »
Sorry i have read this article about 3 times now just to make sure i get the names right.

Thats Sugar, the most pathetic captain we have had at our club.

Newman, see above. Coming at a close second

Jake King and Simmonds. Poor babies not getting enough game time is it??

GIVE ME A stuffin BREAK. MARCH SHOULD HAVE SACKED THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM FOR BRINGING THE CLUB INTO DISREPUTE THEN SOLARIUM SHOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME FOR PUTTING US THROUGH TORTURE FOR 5 YEARS.

WHAT THE stuff IS HAPPENING TO THIS CLUB.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
OMG...the media must see Richmond as the gift that keeps on giving.
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »
i bet now terry regrets that he never made joel or richo captain . serves terry right, the ones he selected are the ones that stuffed him

learn from ur mistakes terrr, the 2 guys that should have been captains are backing u and saved ur arse lmao

and the 2 guys u picked are stuffing u

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:26:18 AM »
Very disappointing effort from Kane Johnson stabbing a guy in the back who supported him for all these years when most other coaches would have retired him years ago. The fact he's not got on the park this year proves he shouldn't have stayed on this year. Door is over that way Johnson.

Kinda funny seeing Jake King in on the talks, he has no place being there at all, his papers are stamped. I hardly see what Simmo has to complain about either, he's been crap too. Definitely hope all three are gone at the end of the year now.

As for Newman, well given he's pretty fresh with the captaincy and we know he's been working with Johnson closely which makes it all the more disappointing that Sugar would get him to do his dirty work. I would suggest that Johnson would have been able to use his influence over Newman being the ex-Captain, so I won't call for Newman's head, however he would land us a decent pick at trade time so would be happy to put him on the market now. He's probably the exact type of player we should be trading for picks really.

Good to see Bowden & Richo have some sense

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »
Caro needs a makeover  ;D

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:58:25 AM »

RRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Relax!!!

We're all just getting overexcited at exit interviews!!!! Nothing to see here, move on!!!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
I just dont believe anything i read anymore! Pinch of salt.......

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
So, if Caro is on the money, we now have:
- A coach who has publicly stated that he won't walk because it will adversely impact his reputation.
- A club that won't sack the coach because it would adversely impact it's chances of getting a good replacement
- A subset of the playing list that wants the coach sacked
- A second subset that wants to keep the coach
- The new leadership team doing the bidding for the old leadership team

Any way you look at it, the present situation is untenable.

Team selection this week should provide an insight into the winners and losers

I would think the leaders of the failed coupe d'tat would be hung out to dry. 

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »
So, if Caro is on the money, we now have:
- A coach who has publicly stated that he won't walk because it will adversely impact his reputation.
- A club that won't sack the coach because it would adversely impact it's chances of getting a good replacement
- A subset of the playing list that wants the coach sacked
- A second subset that wants to keep the coach
- The new leadership team doing the bidding for the old leadership team

Any way you look at it, the present situation is untenable.

Team selection this week should provide an insight into the winners and losers

I would think the leaders of the failed coupe d'tat would be hung out to dry. 

Or the whole simplistic 'real' story has become so distorted by the media and subsequent public innuendo that it bears no resemblance to what really happened.

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »

Basically what I was gunna say - That is stuffen hilarious  :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
I am not sure what's funnier

This article or......................

:jump

:ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL

:eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)