Author Topic: Bill Morris inducted into the AFL Hall Of Fame  (Read 1939 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bill Morris inducted into the AFL Hall Of Fame
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »
Just announced on the Footy Show. One of 8 inductees tonight.

:clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Bill Morris inducted into the AFL Hall Of Fame
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
Congratulations, well deserved

However, I find it hard to get excited by the HOF to be honest as the focus always seems to be more about who isn't inducted than who is
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dees' mistake a gift for Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »
Dees' mistake a gift for Tigers
Jon Anderson | May 22, 2009

WHEN you swap a player with very little exposed form, you run the risk of it coming back to bite you in a mammoth way.

And there is no better case in point than the decision by Melbourne in 1942 to swap a young ruckman named Bill Morris with a player called Colin Galbraith.

The Demons thought Galbraith a budding star and regarded Morris as expendable given their quality ruck stocks at the time.

Men such as Don Cordner, Jack Mueller and Adrian Dullard were ahead of Morris, so the deal was done.

Morris had been tied to Melbourne after playing amateur football with Old Scotch but was cleared to Richmond following one reserves match.

Sadly, Galbraith injured a knee after just four senior games while Morris became a ruck genius, adept with either hand at finding his grateful rovers with the ball.

His expertise is highlighted by 15 state appearances, a Brownlow Medal (in 1948) and finishes of second, third and sixth, three club best-and-fairests and selection in the Tigers' Team of the Century.

But the man nicknamed "Paleface" because of his pallid complexion doesn't always get the kudos he deserves due to his early death in 1960.

Those who played with or against him rate Morris alongside the elite ruckmen of any era. Take Geelong legend Bob Davis, for example.

"He was a magnificent player, right up there with the best ruckmen I've seen," Davis said.

"He wasn't one of those monster ruckmen, more a player who glided across the ground. He had a great leap, could take a big mark and keep going all day.

"But, more importantly, he was a great fellow on and off the field. His place in the AFL Hall of Fame is richly deserved."

Ken Hands, inducted last night alongside Morris, played football from 1945-51 with and against him: "He was what I would describe as an effortless player, so fluent that he was a pleasure to watch," Hands said.

Morris was represented at the dinner by his wife Jill, daughter Virginia and grandsons Thomas, 22, Alexander, 18, and grand-daughter Charley, 14.

For Jill Morris it was a "very exciting but very unexpected" reward for a man who placed modesty ahead of fame.

"This recognition rounds off his career, but the sad part is he's not here to witness it. And a lot of people at the dinner would never have seen him (play)," she said.

"That's one reason why I invited two men in his teammate Havel Rowe and club historian Bill Meaklim, because they both saw Bill playing at his peak."

Morris was born in Culcairn in southern New South Wales, where his Scottish-born father worked as a bank manager.

His father and New Zealand-born mother then moved to the western suburbs of Melbourne before shifting to East Melbourne.

It was from there that Bill began his schooling at Scotch College and joined their old boys football team from 1939-41.

At 188cm he wasn't tall, even in an era when ruckman were 10-12cm smaller, on average, than today.

He compensated for his lack of height through judgment and balance, and being totally team orientated.

Morris began his VFL career rucking with Richmond legend Jack Dyer and finished in tandem with dual Brownlow medallist Roy Wright.

"Roy Wright always said Bill taught him everything he knew and, as good as Roy was, people say that was true," Jill Morris said.

"Bill would ruck the whole day. In fact, I never saw him sit on the bench in his 140 games, but I realise football is very different today."

Come Brownlow night this year the Morris family will be reminded again of Bill's greatness through his 1948 medal, which is kept in a safe.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25517935-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »
Profile: Bill Morris
By Chelsea Roffey 8:54 PM Thu 21 May, 2009

Bill Morris

Played 140 games, kicking 98 goals for Richmond 1942-1951
Played in five finals
State representative on 15 occasions
85 career Brownlow Medal votes
Captained his club on 32 occasions (1950-1951)
Grand finals 1942, 1944
Richmond best and fairest 1945, 1948, 1950
Second Richmond best and fairest 1946, 1947
Third Richmond best and fairest 1944
Brownlow Medallist 1948 (equal second 1946, equal third 1950)

Bill Morris was short for a ruckman by today’s standards, standing at 188cm – 6’2” on the old scale. Though he was tall for his time, his ruckwork was no doubt aided by a freakish leap which gave his rovers an armchair ride over a 10-year career with his beloved Tigers.

Morris attended Scotch College and played one game with the Melbourne seconds, before joining the army.

Tiger great Jack Dyer snared him from Melbourne but war service limited his appearances for Richmond in the early years. Even so, he played in the 1942 and ’44 grand final sides.

He played his first full year in 1945, winning the Tigers’ best and fairest and playing for Victoria. Morris was selected in every state side during his career from then on, bar 1948, the year he ironically won the Brownlow Medal.

He was named captain of Richmond and Victoria in 1950, a year in which he also finished equal second in the Brownlow and won his third club best and fairest.

A gentleman even on the field, Morris would help his opponents up after knocking them down, to the bewilderment of teammate Dyer.

Morris played 140 games for Richmond and represented his state 15 times in a decorated career. Following his playing career with Richmond he joined Box Hill as a playing coach for three seasons.

Tragically, Morris died in 1960, age 38.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77291/default.aspx

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
It is very pleasing to me personally to read that Bill Morris has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I recall having a lot of enjoyment watching him play in my formative years as he would palm the ball out of the ruck to his rovers Billy Wilson and Freddy Burge.
He worked for a bank and in those days they opened for business on saturday mornings and unlike today the books had to be balanced to the last halfpenny before the staff was allowed to leave the premises, consequently before most games when the team ran out to play Bill was not amongst them, then Punt road would erupt as he would come out at the last minute, he really was a crowd hero.
Les Jones (a nephew of Jack Dyer) was in the team in those days, Les was a solid barrel chested man who worked as a truck driver (it was said could lift a full 44 gallon drum up onto the tray on his own) it was his job to be Bills minder as some of the bigger fellows of the day would if the chance came along hit Morris with everything but the grandstand so to speak.
Unfortunately Les flatted an offender in the last game of the 1947 home and away matches and was suspended, consequently when the tigers played against fitzroy in the first semi-final the next week I'll never forget how Bill Morris in the last quarter was out there still running around absolutely stuffed after the physical punishment that was handed out to him on that day.
He certainly was a Richmond great.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
well done, about time :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Moi

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »
It's a shame this milestone is hijacked by a media pack frenzy on other issues.
Good news  :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
It is very pleasing to me personally to read that Bill Morris has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I recall having a lot of enjoyment watching him play in my formative years as he would palm the ball out of the ruck to his rovers Billy Wilson and Freddy Burge.
He worked for a bank and in those days they opened for business on saturday mornings and unlike today the books had to be balanced to the last halfpenny before the staff was allowed to leave the premises, consequently before most games when the team ran out to play Bill was not amongst them, then Punt road would erupt as he would come out at the last minute, he really was a crowd hero.
Les Jones (a nephew of Jack Dyer) was in the team in those days, Les was a solid barrel chested man who worked as a truck driver (it was said could lift a full 44 gallon drum up onto the tray on his own) it was his job to be Bills minder as some of the bigger fellows of the day would if the chance came along hit Morris with everything but the grandstand so to speak.
Unfortunately Les flatted an offender in the last game of the 1947 home and away matches and was suspended, consequently when the tigers played against fitzroy in the first semi-final the next week I'll never forget how Bill Morris in the last quarter was out there still running around absolutely stuffed after the physical punishment that was handed out to him on that day.
thx mopsy, that was a good read :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »
thx mopsy, that was a good read :thumbsup
Ditto. Thanks for that read Mopsy  :)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 03:56:49 AM »
Tim Lane in the Sunday Age

The induction of Morris, the champion Richmond ruckman of the 1940s and early '50s, didn't occur before time. His deeds more than qualified him. As well as winning the 1948 Brownlow Medal, Morris finished in a tie for second in 1946 and a tie for third in 1950. He played for Victoria in almost every season from 1945 to '51 and captained the state at the 1950 and '51 carnivals. Dual Brownlow winner Roy Wright, who followed Morris as the Tigers' No. 1 ruckman, said he could never get a game at Richmond until Morris retired.

All this was achieved in a career which, due to war service, didn't properly begin until he was 24. Morris was originally tied to Melbourne, but played just one reserves game for the Fuschias before joining the army. He was subsequently swapped to Richmond for Colin Galbraith, who was to appear only four times for Melbourne before injuring a knee and never playing again. It will be 49 years tomorrow since Morris died. He made his VFL debut 67 years ago. His life and premature death seem so deep in the past that one can be forgiven for imagining that any acceptance speech on an occasion such as Thursday night's would be delivered by offspring. For those at the dinner familiar with the Morris story, it was a moment to produce a stifled gasp when it was announced that Bill's widow, Jill, would receive her husband's plaque.

Not only did she do that, Jill Morris was the star of the evening. She is an 81-year-old — seven years younger than her late husband — not to be trifled with. She was a schoolgirl when she asked him for an autograph — she described herself as "a footy groupie" — and it was exchanged for a phone number. Her interest wasn't so much sparked by Bill's ability as a footballer, she said, as by his good looks. When she was 21, the pair married.

One of his few surviving teammates, Havel Rowe, was there on Thursday night. He recalled his debut for Richmond, a drawn game at Windy Hill in 1948, and of Morris hugging him afterwards and saying "well done". Rowe, who was new at the club and didn't know Morris, said he "was pleased for me — which I was very impressed with".

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/hall-of-fame-inductions-poignant/2009/05/23/1242498972821.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1