Author Topic: Should Newman step down as captain?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Should Newman step down as captain?
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:01:14 AM »
Garry Lyon says yes....

Former Melbourne skipper and Footy Show co-host Garry Lyon said Tigers captain Chris Newman should step down if reports were true that he had sparked Tuesday's meeting by suggesting to Wallace that he resign.

"If he's gone to Terry and said I want you to resign then he has to step down as captain of the Richmond footy club, he's got no other choice but to do that," Lyon said.

"It's an untenable working situation now for him to go about and lead that footy club."

He said Newman was a young, inexperienced captain who had shown positive leadership qualities but the current situation at Tigerland was "over his head" and no coach's departure should be player-driven.

"You'd say (as the coach) 'Son, I'm coaching this footy club, your job is to play, albeit as the leader of this footy club and I'll continue to coach unless the board of this football club tell me to resign,'" Lyon said.

"The tail doesn't wag the dog, when it starts to that's when your footy club's in a mess."

By Sam Lienert And Adam Cooper
May 21, 2009 - 11:39PM
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/morton-says-no-grudge-against-wallace-20090521-bgq5.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Should Newman step down as captain?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
100 % correct - Sorry no intestinal fortitude at all

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:41:52 AM »
Newie was sucked in by some of his older peers.

A learning experience that will see Newie develop his captaincy skills as we climb the ladder.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
Not too sure if we will ever know exactly what went down, which is probably as it should be as way too much got out anyway.

I really think he should be given an extended go at the role.  In the long run I am still not convinced he will be the captain ideally one of our young guns will step up to an elite status and demand the position.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »
Newie was sucked in by some of his older peers.

Probably was but it was still poor.

And Ill admit I am not sure what the right way to go is on this  :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
I'm a massive Newman fan, and I'm on the fence. Maybe cause I'm bias.

Who knows if he asked Terry to resign or whether he was trying to persuade him who knows.

I still think he should captain out the year he's 27 he wont be captain for much longer anyway just until Lids or Trent take over in a few years.
Go Tigers!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
Apologies to Lids.
Not sure quite when but Cotchin ooozes captaincy material

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »
When your the spokesperson for a coup, you gotta have the numbers, we all know what happens when you organise a coup and it fails. Newman should go as captain, and the other 3 who were named should have gotten the arse out of the club completely.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »
so gary thinks it's wrong for a captain to ask the coach to step down, but it's fine for a media commentator to ask an afl captain to step down?
which bit of the tail is wagging the tiger anyway?

newman should step down if it will get us closer to winning a premiership.
if not he should not. only rfc should decide that.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »
HOW THEY CAN GO ON LIKE THIS IS A DISGRACE

How can they go out on a field after this crap. Seriously Newman needs to go and go NOW

I would give the captaincy to Lids. do it now.

Newman is replaceable. All he provides is a few torps here and there. SHUT THE DOOR ON YOUR WAY YOU LITTLE prick. stuff OFF

Schulz, King and Simmo can join hands and go for a walk down Commercial Road for all i care.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77359/default.aspx
By Mic Cullen
 11:00 AM Fri 22 May, 2009
RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has defended captain Chris Newman, saying calls for the first-year skipper to stand down were ‘outrageous’.

Some Melbourne media incorrectly reported on Tuesday morning that Wallace had been sacked by the club, and that the catalyst may have been a meeting between senior players and the coach, where Newman asked Wallace to stand down.

Speaking at Punt Road on Friday morning, Wallace said what transpired in the meeting was private and he would not comment on it.

He said the media had beaten up a non story into a huge frenzy, based on misinformation and presumption, and was determined to continue in his job leading the Tigers as long as the club desired.

Wallace said he made the commitment to stay at the club several weeks ago and that nothing had changed.

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron confirmed this week that Wallace’s position will be reviewed during the split round, which starts in a fortnight.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
I voted Yes, however I'm going to play devil's advocate now and say the only reason why he shouldn't is that it would admit to the football world that what Hutchy reported was true.

God I wish one of the players when ambushed by Hutchy after the meeting asked him why he was hassling them and wasn't busy chasing ambulances

Jackstar is back

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »
The answer is no.
The problems that have just come to the surface have been there for the past 3 years.
Poor communciation , poor game plans etc etc
Terry lost his way and the playing group know that.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »
The answer is no.
The problems that have just come to the surface have been there for the past 3 years.
Poor communciation , poor game plans etc etc
Terry lost his way and the playing group know that.

That doesn't excule them from the leadership they show on the field tho Jack, ie: last week!
I know where you come from man : sort of?

Apologies to Lids.
Not sure quite when but Cotchin ooozes captaincy material

Geez I like Rance also, shows real captaincy stuff as well, not trying to win friends but pretty sure 100% of Richmond supporters can see that!

Really like him.

NO I wont turn  :rollin

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 09:55:24 PM »
most definately not, unless Im mistaken we dont have chairman Mao coaching this club...180 degree feedback is the order of the day in 2009...to suggest we sack someone for providing some constructive comment from the team is ludicrous :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled