Author Topic: Gold Coast to attempt to poach Nathan Foley (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1876 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gold Coast to attempt to poach Nathan Foley (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
Gold Coast to attempt to poach Richmond's Nathan Foley
By Jay Clark
May 24, 2009

Gold Coast will try to shatter Richmond's rebuilding plans with an aggressive attempt to poach onball gem Nathan Foley.

Sources have confirmed the new club is interested in Foley and is well-placed to beat the Tigers' next contractual offer by a whopping $200,000 a season.

Foley, who comes out of contract next year, is the linchpin midfielder and future captain the Tigers could least afford to lose, other than draft ace Trent Cotchin.

Richmond has told Foley's management it is keen to get working on a deal to secure his long-term future at Punt Rd.

While the Tigers' vice-captain has shown no interest in leaving, Foley, 23, will most certainly consider their direction before deciding whether to re-commit.

The struggling club is in crisis mode after a renegade pocket of the fractured playing group, led by captain Chris Newman, reportedly asked besieged coach Terry Wallace to stand down last week following a horror 1-7 start to the season.

The club has neither confirmed nor denied the claims but has acknowledged players demanded Wallace change elements of his coaching style in the emergency meeting that saved his job last week.

Players' frustrations revolved around inconsistencies in Wallace's selection policy and his penchant for making unforeseen, last-minute changes to the game plan.

Despite the turmoil, Foley's manager, Peter Lenton, considered his client to be a loyal player and a big part of the future at Tigerland.

"I have spoken with Craig Cameron (football general manager) and he is keen to get something (a new deal) going," Lenton said.

Foley could attract about $400,000 a season at Richmond or upwards of $600,000 at Gold Coast.

Further, the Queensland club could be more advanced toward a flag than the Tigers, who face the prospect of a total list overhaul, with six of its best players all 30-plus.

Gold Coast chiefs believe they will be in a position to win a premiership within their first four years.

Their generous start-up concessions include nine picks in the first round of the 2010 national draft and an extra million dollars in its salary cap to help lure a maximum of one senior player from each club.

Gold Coast's chief targets include Hawthorn pair Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead, Bulldogs duo Adam Cooney and Shaun Higgins, and Geelong stars Gary Ablett and Joel Selwood.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25529362-5018851,00.html

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Gold Coast to attempt to poach Nathan Foley (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
GC17 can have foley

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
We can not afford to lose talent out of our midfield particularly as we would only be compensated with a raw late pick in the draft who could never see AFL action at all.

If he is keen to go we better start giving him extra votes so he finished up in the club B&F.

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Cant afford to lose him unless we get another inside mid who excels at hard ball gets.

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »
Trade him at the end of this year, plenty of clubs will want him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
This is an interesting one because if he was to sign with the GC17 we would get a compensation in the form of a draft pick. I am sure that's how this signing uncontracted players thing is supposed to work

2 questions

1/ Who determines what pick number a club would get?

2/ more importantly what number would he be worth?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »
Before Foleys situation is looked at, Id suggest RFC try and get Brett Deledios and Trent Cotchins signatures on respective contracts. Foley is trade bait and his contract needs to be looked at only when Deledios and Cotchins contracts have been concluded. Personally Id put Foley up for Trade, Id offer him to Geelong in the hope that theyve lost hope in Hawkins.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
The other factor to be concerned with is when we can use any compensation. With our current young players Foley is of a similiar age so hypothetically, if they do all develop and begin performing together in the future  :pray our 'draft pick' would have to be used in the 2011+ draft putting the player at least 6 years younger than these players. If he came on immediately like Rich or Selwood then this would be fine but it is more likely he would takea few years to develop and by this time we might have an aging list again  :-[

So its not as simple as getting rid of one players and instantly replacing them with a star recruit. A lot of risk without any garrantees.

Stripes

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »
GC17 can have foley
Richmond are in a great position to give away their best players! :gobdrop

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
Before Foleys situation is looked at, Id suggest RFC try and get Brett Deledios and Trent Cotchins signatures on respective contracts. Foley is trade bait and his contract needs to be looked at only when Deledios and Cotchins contracts have been concluded. Personally Id put Foley up for Trade, Id offer him to Geelong in the hope that theyve lost hope in Hawkins.

Agree Ramps

Deledio's should be the priority as he is out of contract this year

Cotchin I think maybe to tied up until 2010 - RFC have historical given there number 1 draft picks 3 years as opposed to the 2 year minimum. But will admit to not being 100% sure on that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »

oh yeah, marvelous idea, worked well last itme..Ottens  for Meyer/Patto...gee whiz what NEXT :help
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »
The last thing we need is to weaken our midfield depth, Foley is a top quality midfielder and losing him for a punt in a future draft would put us back more than we gain. Foley is the right age to be a key player for the next 6+ years, it would take 6 years for us to get another player (assuming its an early enough pick) up to Foley's level.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
We can not afford to lose talent out of our midfield particularly as we would only be compensated with a raw late pick in the draft who could never see AFL action at all.

If he is keen to go we better start giving him extra votes so he finished up in the club B&F.

Stripes

why do you say that?? I would say he would be worth a top 10 pick for sure.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »
The last thing we need is to weaken our midfield depth, Foley is a top quality midfielder and losing him for a punt in a future draft would put us back more than we gain. Foley is the right age to be a key player for the next 6+ years, it would take 6 years for us to get another player (assuming its an early enough pick) up to Foley's level.

We need to change our tact and not worry about what we will lose. In 2001 Hawthorn successfully gained pick 1 in a superdraft for Trent Croad. They picked up Luke Hodge who won a Norm Smith and regained the services of Croad from Freo. We could easily get a pick 7 to pick 15 for Foley. Will benefit the club long term and allow us the opportunities to address any deficiency we could not after this years draft or after season 2010.

I am not saying it should happen but of the 3 Cotchin Lids and Foley I would be least upset if Foley was traded to GC. Hey for good measure on current skill I'd throw in Raines just to help Axel feel at home in QLD and have a chapperone there for the first few months.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »

We need to change our tact and not worry about what we will lose. In 2001 Hawthorn successfully gained pick 1 in a superdraft for Trent Croad. They picked up Luke Hodge who won a Norm Smith and regained the services of Croad from Freo. We could easily get a pick 7 to pick 15 for Foley. Will benefit the club long term and allow us the opportunities to address any deficiency we could not after this years draft or after season 2010.

I am not saying it should happen but of the 3 Cotchin Lids and Foley I would be least upset if Foley was traded to GC. Hey for good measure on current skill I'd throw in Raines just to help Axel feel at home in QLD and have a chapperone there for the first few months.
I'd much rather trade Chris Newman, he's older and less critical to team structure