Author Topic: Kane Johnson won't call it quits at Richmond (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1850 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane Johnson won't call it quits at Richmond (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
Kane Johnson won't call it quits at Richmond
Jon Ralph | May 25, 2009

RICHMOND has denied rumours former captain Kane Johnson was poised to retire, saying he was determined to play this year.

Rejecting reports he was considering his future because of a persistent knee injury, Richmond said Johnson would train at Punt Rd this morning.

Johnson has been hampered by a posterior cruciate injury since late February and is not back in full training.

He is known to be livid at being portrayed as an instigator of the crisis meeting that put coach Terry Wallace's future in doubt last week.

Tigers' head of football Craig Cameron said the 31-year-old would train this morning, hopeful of readying his body for a senior recall.

Asked whether Johnson was furious at the events of the past week, Cameron replied: "I am not going to comment on that, because to be honest we are trying to put it behind us a bit. He will definitely be training tomorrow.

"Someone called me and asked me if he had retired, which is also not true."

Johnson, considered likely to retire at the end of the season, is at least a month away from a senior return.

He has been told he must train fully for two weeks to be elevated from the long-term injury list, and is yet to train with the main group.

He would have a lengthy spell at VFL affiliate Coburg to push for senior selection.

"He is probably taking a little longer than we expected to recover from his knee, but outside of that everything's fine," Cameron said.

"They are funny things, posterior cruciates, so it's just taking longer than expected. The bottom line is that he had to do two solid weeks on the track, so until he's done that we won't take him off the long-term injury list."

It has been reported Johnson has had serious misgivings about Wallace for a year, and was a key participant in the push to have him removed.

It is known Johnson and fellow veteran Troy Simmonds feel they have been hung out to dry by leaked information that paints them as the agitators in last week's drama.

Teammate Matthew Richardson yesterday described that version of events "an absolute disgrace".

The senior group is emphatic that the leaks detailing who approached Wallace to ask him to consider his future did not come from the players.

While Wallace's furious tirade towards Mitch Morton seems to have been leaked unwittingly by a player, the senior group had nothing to gain by revealing Monday's chain of events.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25531388-19742,00.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Kane Johnson won't call it quits at Richmond (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:49:42 AM »
bugger

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
selfish....nahas does more for the team than johnson will.

keep him on the long term injury list.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
selfish....nahas does more for the team than johnson will.

keep him on the long term injury list.

nahas is fine, richo is on the LTIL also  :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
so Johnson is furious at being instigated as is J.King.

Fukin gutless pricks they were all prepared to waltz right into the room but now that they look like fools they start back pedalling.

as i have said WORST CAPTAIN TO EVER PLAY AT OUR CLUB.

shut the door on your way loser
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:27:30 PM »
he shouldnt be given the choose. tell him to retire or dont play him, he must think we still want or need him. :help
2 years into a 35 year plan

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »

The fact he has been held responsible for hijacking Chris Newmans leadership
in ,"persuading" him into challenging the board to fire Terry is one thing.I believe it speaks in volume,that he has remained silent in the aftermath,having neirther the good character or courage to address the issue that made us,once again,the laughing stock of the competition.

Does he expect to simply come back into the side under the premise that he is such a valuable acquisition that the team considers his contributions to be a differing factor in our on field performances ?

Put simply,a line has been crossed and the club needs to pass judgement - for the sake of the untarnished playing group and for the good of the culture of the club.

As it stands,Johnson remains in the background.The Injured,gutless catalyst!

For how long?

Since when has it become acceptable for a collective group of under performed players to set into motion such a selfish,arrogant chain of events?

These players,especially johnson,must be cut from the list NOW if the RFC is ever going to grow up and prove their balls are between their legs and not banging on each others chins.

As long as Kane keeps his silence he should be judged the coward he is.
If he were to ever play again one would expect the crowd to audibly show their displeasure,as it stands.

As long as the club does nothing,they,we,deserve to continue to suffer the pains of a long term cultural holocaust.

Their failure to face the facts are an indictment on our being and a vote for the continuation of layered loserdom.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
he shouldnt be given the choose. tell him to retire or dont play him, he must think we still want or need him. :help

I agree.

I've never been a fan of Johnson just doesn't look overly happy he's playing football which for mine is the number 1 criteria for doing anything.

You can't start a mutiny and when it doesn't work expect to be given favours. Time hurts us all even the best of them. He's played his last game for RFC in my opinion, the only thing wil save him is if he gets 100% before Round 16 and plays 3 good games for Coburg he may come in for a retirement game but by then we'll still be calling to play the kids, he may need an injury or suspension to be given a lifeline.

It's over for mine.

P.S I'm still so dirty on the deal we did to get Johnson. It was the worst in AFL history for mine.

Richmond trades - Jason Torney, Pick 2 (Daniel Wells), Pick 18 (Kris Shore) and Pick 32 (Luke Jericho)

for..

Kane Johnson. and Pick 40 (Tim Fleming)

All due respects to Kane but that is horribly weighted in Adelaides favour. Horribly.

Just very dirty still.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »

The fact he has been held responsible for hijacking Chris Newmans leadership
in ,"persuading" him into challenging the board to fire Terry is one thing.I believe it speaks in volume,that he has remained silent in the aftermath,having neirther the good character or courage to address the issue that made us,once again,the laughing stock of the competition.

Does he expect to simply come back into the side under the premise that he is such a valuable acquisition that the team considers his contributions to be a differing factor in our on field performances ?

Put simply,a line has been crossed and the club needs to pass judgement - for the sake of the untarnished playing group and for the good of the culture of the club.

As it stands,Johnson remains in the background.The Injured,gutless catalyst!

For how long?

Since when has it become acceptable for a collective group of under performed players to set into motion such a selfish,arrogant chain of events?

These players,especially johnson,must be cut from the list NOW if the RFC is ever going to grow up and prove their balls are between their legs and not banging on each others chins.

As long as Kane keeps his silence he should be judged the coward he is.
If he were to ever play again one would expect the crowd to audibly show their displeasure,as it stands.

As long as the club does nothing,they,we,deserve to continue to suffer the pains of a long term cultural holocaust.

Their failure to face the facts are an indictment on our being and a vote for the continuation of layered loserdom.

Agreed. Well said
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »

I agree.

I've never been a fan of Johnson just doesn't look overly happy he's playing football which for mine is the number 1 criteria for doing anything.

You can't start a mutiny and when it doesn't work expect to be given favours. Time hurts us all even the best of them. He's played his last game for RFC in my opinion, the only thing wil save him is if he gets 100% before Round 16 and plays 3 good games for Coburg he may come in for a retirement game but by then we'll still be calling to play the kids, he may need an injury or suspension to be given a lifeline.

It's over for mine.

P.S I'm still so dirty on the deal we did to get Johnson. It was the worst in AFL history for mine.

Richmond trades - Jason Torney, Pick 2 (Daniel Wells), Pick 18 (Kris Shore) and Pick 32 (Luke Jericho)

for..

All due respects to Kane but that is horribly weighted in Adelaides favour. Horribly.

Just very dirty still.
I think we got Pick 12 in the deal too which was Jay Schulz, if not then it was Pick 8 & Kayne Pettifer that we got
Can't be bothered looking it up

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
so Johnson is furious at being instigated as is J.King.

effin gutless pricks they were all prepared to waltz right into the room but now that they look like fools they start back pedalling.

as i have said WORST CAPTAIN TO EVER PLAY AT OUR CLUB.

shut the door on your way loser
broad statement i would think - did you see every captain to play at richmond?????

edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:52:59 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »

I agree.

It's over for mine.

for..

Just very dirty still.
I think we got Pick 12 in the deal too which was Jay Schulz, if not then it was Pick 8 & Kayne Pettifer that we got
Can't be bothered looking it up

Your right about Shultz apoligies. Still doesn't make the deal any better lol
Go Tigers!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
you are gone Kane Johnson ... you will be first to go!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »