Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 142807 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
By signing (as all clubs did) the licensing rights to the league (jumpers etc)

And that means no club has a leg to stand on when it comes to resisting an alternative guernsey. The jumpers, logos etc belong  to the League.

As far as the Pies go - as long as they go back to their traditional mainly white guernsey against us (home and away) then both clubs can be happy. 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2006, 04:30:21 PM »
As far as the Pies go - as long as they go back to their traditional mainly white guernsey against us (home and away) then both clubs can be happy. 

Well Eddie has said that they wont have an alternate jumper as they don't don't clash with anyone. :o

But in the same breath he has said they will wear their mainly white jumper with black stripes (the one from the 70's, 80's, 90's) for games against Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.

But that's not an alternatate jumper  :-\ if that makes it clear
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »
I am colorblind and I have trouble with Collingwood & North Melbourne - Richmond and Essendon. but I overcome my disability by looking at the shorts( And no i am not one of those!!) I leave that to the girls

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2006, 05:18:37 PM »

Well Eddie has said that they wont have an alternate jumper as they don't don't clash with anyone. :o

But in the same breath he has said they will wear their mainly white jumper with black stripes (the one from the 00's, 10's, late 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's   ;) 70's, 80's, 90's) for games against Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.

Of course changing from a mainly white guernsy to a mainly black one made them clash less with us, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, St Kilda, ...  ::). The Pies should be made to wear their white one both home and away against us. It'd be stupid if we had to wear our clash jumper against the Pies when there was never a clash prior to 2000 when Eddie changed it to suit their major sponsor. 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »
By signing (as all clubs did) the licensing rights to the league (jumpers etc)

And that means no club has a leg to stand on when it comes to resisting an alternative guernsey. The jumpers, logos etc belong to the League.

… said McGuire. "We gave up our licensing rights in the mid-'80s for the sake of the competition and the least the AFL can do is protect our brand.

"I don't know what the AFL's motive is in all this but we don't have much confidence in them. They don't know what they're talking about."

And that’s what the AFL should be doing - protecting our brand - because that's why they signed things over, not so they could then be dictated to in every respect.

Especially when they have no real idea why they are enforcing these changes and when the changes are worse than what existed.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Capt. Revenge

• Future Richmond star
  • for i was so much older then.............
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »
do wot we do at training and have shirts and skins!

there is no success like failure and failure is no success at all

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
do wot we do at training and have shirts and skins!

Don't make so it easy for Julz  :rollin.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2006, 09:14:47 AM »
 :pray :clapping :whistle :lol :rollin

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »
I don't mind the alternative strip posted by jezza over at bigfooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234031).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »
Going back to page 8 of this thread the one below is similar to jezza's but has some white to go with the white shorts

I don't mind this one

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
I don't mind a little white as tigers have white and yellow fur along with the black, any other color 'No Way Jose"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
I don't mind a little white as tigers have white and yellow fur along with the black, any other color 'No Way Jose"

I think everyone would agree that the colours are sacred Mopsy

Interesting to read this morning that the Pies have actually submitted an alternate jumper despite Eddie's ranting that they wouldn't.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2006, 03:32:04 PM »
The AFL is a farce and a joke.  On the AFL web site, it states:

Principles that form the basis for action

The AFL Commission has developed a set of 10 principles that form the basis for action and has developed criteria against which AFL strategies and practice might be judged.

The principles

5. Ownership by football people.

The AFL Commission and AFL club boards are not owners but rather stewards of the community interest.”

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=aflinfosheets&spg=display&articleid=240737

Principles my foot. :banghead

As part of the football community, when do I get to have my say?

And if I don’t get a say, who’s looking after my interests, because it clearly isn’t the AFL and doesn’t look like it’s RFC either?

All RFC has done is say they will ask the members what alternative Guernsey they want.

What about asking us if we even want to change, before it’s decided whether an alternative is needed?

What the hell’s going on? :banghead
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
I'm not totally against an alternative strip but the AFL always justify the "football community interest" line by saying bringing more money into the game is in the football community's interest. Problem is more money doesn't always equate to the best delivery of service (eg: Telstra run websites). 

The Club on the other hand doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as protesting against an alternative strip. The AFL owns the logos, emblems, jumpers, etc.. 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »
I have always said that in a perfect world I don't want an alternate jumper but AFL footy is not a perfect world - never has been, never will be.

If we have no choice then we have no choice and the president of Essendon said today in the HUN when he told Eddie to pull his head in:

"We don't want to change our jumper. We have never wanted to change our jumper," McKissock said.

"But if AFL rules dictate we need to have a clash jumper produced, then unlike Collingwood and Eddie McGuire, we don't think we are bigger than the game. We play in the AFL competition."

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18803056%255E20322,00.html

They are doing it not because they want too but because they have no choice - it's the rules - same goes for Richmond

He goes onto add that the Bombers are only required to wear a clash jumper against Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda

"The rule states that we will wear an alternate strip in away games against Richmond, St Kilda or Melbourne. This season that means it would be worn in one game, two hours of football."