Author Topic: We can still make the finals: Lids  (Read 2479 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We can still make the finals: Lids
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »
SEN news played a grab claiming Lids said today finals are still not out of the equation  :P and we plan to have a strong run home in the second half of the season. He also said we expect to win this week over at Freo.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: We can still make the finals: Lids
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
 :banghead I can sense a 9th place finish again this year...... :help

The players will always (you hope) strive to win and we have a great record on the expanses of Subi. As much as I would love us to win, we just can't afford to.

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:30:38 PM »
SEN news played a grab claiming Lids said today finals are still not out of the equation  :P and we plan to have a strong run home in the second half of the season. He also said we expect to win this week over at Freo.

Well Mick Malthouse reckons you may only need 10 wins to get in - so that means we need to win 9 of our next 13  :P

But reality is we would need 12 wins so we need to 11 out of 13 - aint going to happen

Stripes: have to disagree. We are paying for our losing culture/mentality now and have been for years. this club and this group need to start to believe and learn to win .. tanking isn't going to help us long term.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers expecting to win against Freo: Deledio (RFC)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
Tigers expecting to win against Freo: Deledio
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 1:41 PM Tue 26 May, 2009

RICHMOND midfielder Brett Deledio says his side should expect to win this weekend's game against Fremantle.

The Tigers have won just the one game against North Melbourne, but have been in most of the others before failing to notch the four points, while Fremantle has won three, but is just one spot above the Tigers in 14th.

Both teams had good starts on the weekend before being overrun later in the game, but Deledio said his side should be looking to pick up the four points on Saturday.

"We expect to win against Fremantle – what side would go over there and not expect to win?" he said at Punt Rd on Tuesday morning.

"Every game's a winnable game, it's just a matter of playing out all four quarters.

"We're looking for a win, no doubt."

The Tigers travelled to Perth twice last year and came away with two cracking wins, beating Fremantle by 64 points and West Coast by 77, and the 22-year-old said Subiaco suited the Tigers.

"We travel well together when we go away, so it should be good to get over to Perth and take on the Dockers on the big deck over there.

"I think it does [suit us] – Freo are in a similar position to us at the moment – well, they're travelling probably a little bit better – but we played well against them last year , so we're looking forward to the challenge and the big open spaces out there.

"We've got a lot of guys that are super-fit and fast as well – Matty White, Daniel Jackson – Axel (Nathan) Foley, those sort of guys, they're quick and love to run.

"So I guess it does suit us, and I think we play the ground reasonably well."

With such a close season, and it looking possible that just 10 games could see a team playing finals, Deledio – who was promoted to the leadership group at the start of the year – said the club was still aiming to play in September.

"We had high hopes going into the start of the season, and it really didn't get off on the right foot, but we're still building.

"Last year we won eight of our last 11 games, so that's the aim, I guess, to finish off the season as well as we did last year.

"I wouldn't say it's impossible yet – we can still win every game from here on in and we might be a chance.

"We go into every game trying to win, but I think our biggest thing is making sure we play out four quarters of a game.

"Our biggest issue is our skills at the moment – we're chasing tail a lot and that's causing us to fade out of games."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77612/default.aspx

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »
Dreamin

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
why cant our players just STFU

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »
Deledio you are a nuffa!

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »

Well Mick Malthouse reckons you may only need 10 wins to get in - so that means we need to win 9 of our next 13  :P

But reality is we would need 12 wins so we need to 11 out of 13 - aint going to happen

Stripes: have to disagree. We are paying for our losing culture/mentality now and have been for years. this club and this group need to start to believe and learn to win .. tanking isn't going to help us long term.

Yet winning 8 out of 11 in the second half of last year didn't establish a winning culture going by this year's results.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
In fairness, what is he meant to say?

You can't come out in the media and say

"Yeah look at 1-8 history shows no-one makes finals so we'll just except that. Our season is over so we'll just go through the motions for the rest of the year try some different things, wait till Wallace is sacked and then get a new coach with new ideas that could unearth some really good tactics and then reload for 2010."

You have 30,000 members you have to show your atleast giving supporters what they paid there money for.

Not saying what he said is right but he said was he had to say.
Go Tigers!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
O

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
I'll keep watching the team list each week to see when we are beginning to play for the draft and next season. The minute we begin to move older players out of the side and replace them with Vickery, Post and co. is when we have shut up shop.

Gracie is correct. I don't think winning this year will ensure we will win next WP. If we win on the back of our senior players what does this teach the young players? We need to win playing for each other and playing with a team that will be together for years to come. And if we don't win, well at least they are learning to play together and you never know, we may get some good draft picks as a bonus.  :whistle

Stripes

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
"WE CAN STILL MAKE FINALS" is a popular phrase that can be found on page one of the TANKING MANUAL.

Once finals is a mathematical impossibility....turn to page 2 on the manual and learn the phrase "WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO SHAPING THE FINALS".
Unleash the tornado

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »
O

Lucky I didn't do

D <picture of reaming>

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
hahahahaha that's great.
When will RFC ever learn and not say anything and just be cryptic.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
In Lids defence they did actually play more of the grab on the TV news tonight. Listening to the entire grab it didn't look or sound as bad as SEN has portrayed.

On the TV it appeared a media twit asked about finals and he started by "well if we won every game from here mate..."

Popelord makes a good point what's he supposed to say exactly?

BTW Last week Sheeds was saying the same thing about finals and no-one seems too critical of him  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)