Author Topic: A Leigh Matthews/Neil Balme Combo would be best Solution  (Read 1272 times)

Ramps

A Leigh Matthews/Neil Balme Combo would be best Solution
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
Credibility of RFC is shot, and in my opinion, the only way we can move forward if we dont get an untried coach like Hardwick would be to go with experience, there are supporter doubts about Malthouse and Sheedy, but Leigh Matthews is a competitive Man. A coach who broke the Collingwood drought, the man who led Brisbane to 3 straight flags, and now hes name is coming up in speculation. If we want not only a coach with a serious record but also someone who can carry the Richmond brand and everything it brings, the Leigh Matthews is the best solution. If the club could get him and convince Neil Balme to join as General Manager of Football Operations then we could enter 2010 with the best combo probably going around, Men that the media could not destroy and people who could hold back the tide of discontent from either media or supporters. Add some early draft picks and we may be able to hold our membership numbers next year but most important the supporters could once again have some hope.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: A Leigh Matthews/Neil Balme Combo would be best Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
Ramps - where is the money going to come from to get these blokes?

What happens to the current GM of footy Ops who has a contract? There more $ right there if he goes

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
i think balme is happy at geelong and wont break his contract there

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »
Ramps - where is the money going to come from to get these blokes?

What happens to the current GM of footy Ops who has a contract? There more $ right there if he goes

;D

If we cut Johnson, Bowden, Brown, Richardson and Simmonds, that would see a massive reduction in player payments, The club should only be paying 92.5% to 94% of the salary cap, If the senior players not including Cousins go and they are being paid say approximately Johnson 350k, Bowden 400k, Brown 450k, Richardson 450k, Simmonds 300k then the player payments goes down by say $1.95 million ... Increases for Deledio and Cotchin say 150k each costing say $300k ... adding say 7 kids via national draft at minimum say $70k each (I dont know what the minimum is) thats almost 500,000 ... that would leave in excess of $1 million dollars. Matthews would probably do it for $500k and I dont know what Football Op Managers get say $200k and there is still substantial money left over to employ atleast 1 more development coach possibly 2.

As for Craig Cameron, he stays but maybe in another job in the football department at the club or takesover as head of recruiting.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
if we were to pursue an experienced coach , i would be aghast that we would ignore 4 time premeireship legend in sheedy for that #$^%!@ Matthews...I'd fair dinkum spew up...and in any case, coaches that are lured out of retirement..EG Walls, Blight, Jeans etc ALWAYS $%@# up...sheedy hasnt retired he'd still be at ESS if they resigned him :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »
if we were to pursue an experienced coach , i would be aghast that we would ignore 4 time premeireship legend in sheedy for that #$^%!@ Matthews...I'd fair dinkum spew up...and in any case, coaches that are lured out of retirement..EG Walls, Blight, Jeans etc ALWAYS $%@# up...sheedy hasnt retired he'd still be at ESS if they resigned him :gotigers
Mattews is 4 time Premiership legend too and has more than just a few marbles rolling around in his head unlike Sheedy! Sheedy is a clown and has been for a long time, how could anyone take him seriously, i certainly don't!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »
Mattews is 4 time Premiership legend too and has more than just a few marbles rolling around in his head unlike Sheedy! Sheedy is a clown and has been for a long time, how could anyone take him seriously, i certainly don't!

well Im afraid its that kind of narrow minded approach that has seen RFC secure the likes of gieschen frawley and TW to coach us...not sure any of them are set for legendary status anytime soon ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »

well Im afraid its that kind of narrow minded approach that has seen RFC secure the likes of gieschen frawley and TW to coach us...not sure any of them are set for legendary status anytime soon ::)
Not really sure what Giech, Spud and TW have to do with Sheeds having one foot inside a mental institute! Anyway at least we would have a really good reason for being the laughing stock of the AFL.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »

Sheeds had his chance to return to Punt Road prior to all of those appointments, and add Walls in that list.

He decided to reject genuine RFC advances.

Move on ...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »
Lethal has already said on radio he's not interested when a caller asked him about the Richmond job. He said a week or so ago we are where Brisbane was in 2005 - got a number of oldies, a number of talented youngsters but missing that 24-28 age group.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd