Author Topic: Who would you delist?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Who would you delist?
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »
Sorry to bring this up so early in the year but given that this will be our last chance at bringing through some quality youth, with the rookie draft serverly compromised and a new coach more than likely to come in with a big broom, I am expecting a big turnover of the main list this year.

Above is all the players on the main list excluding the rookies. I'm assuming Nahas and Browne at minimum will be elevated, perhaps even Gourdis if he shows something this year.

With a possible 7 picks in the draft - 3 or even 4 under pick 20(depending upon trades/priority picks/choice to go deeper in the draft given the rookie draft etc), 2 or 3 rookies elevated and a preseason draft pick for a quality existing or young player before the rookie draft it is not being unrealistic to expect that could mean we could have to get rid of 10 players off the list.

So which 10 players should be retired/traded/delisted?

Stripes

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Who would you delist?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »
Where is Pettifer!!  :rollin
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:02:16 PM »
Where is Pettifer!!  :rollin

@#$%! He should have been one of the first on the list. Maybe we should all just assume he would be included on every list until someone tells us otherwise  :shh

Hope I haven't missed anyone else.

Stripes

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
Too early to be thinking about delisting.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
I have seen enough this year to get my butchers Knife out....Stay tuned
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
Simmonds
Johnson
Schultz
= Can't save themselves
----------------------------------

Bowden
= Will retire
---------------------------------

Brown
Richardson
Cousins
= Will want to play on and will come down to the coach

Oakly-Nicholls
King
= Personally don't think deserve another chance

Polak
Hughes
Pattison
Thursfield

= Should be given multiple oppurtunities to prove there worth and hope they hang around and improve but are on a thin line

McMahon
Pettifer
Raines
Newman

= May be used at trade bait

Doesn't leave a whole let left. It's never too early to think about delisting and list management. I personally don't think that many players would be able to save there careers at Richmond in 13 rounds. With Brown maybe the only one that if he played well would most likley be retained compared to if he played bad he would be let go. If King, JON, and Schultz played unreal the last half of the season I can't see them being retained in all honesty. Numerous cahnces and haven't delievered AFL standard. Just the harsh reality of professional sport.

Go Tigers!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
IMHO - I think Johnson, Simmonds, King, Schulz, Polak and Bowden are givens. Pettifier is also going one way or another.

JON and Hughes are borderline.

Richo, Brown and Cousins fate will be completely in the hands of the new coach.

Patto, Thursfield, Raines and Newman are as houses unless they are traded.

Stripes

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
I have seen enough this year to get my butchers Knife out....Stay tuned

Can't wait. ::)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
Unfortunately the time has come to make some unpopular and painful decisions.......Decisions that will make many members of the faithful howl with displeasure.

Sorry to regurgitate the same old cliches but its time "cut to the bone" and "take a few steps backwards before we can go forward"

RETIRE

1 Bowden
2 Johnson
3 Simmonds
4 Brown
5 Richardson-Thanks for the wonderful memories Richo....but you playing in 2010 is just wall paper over the cracks.

DELIST

6 Schultz
7 King
8 Polak
9 Pettifer
10 JON.

As Stripes has only allowed 10 players to be retired/traded/delisted I will include a new category

PLAYERS EXTREMELY LUCKY TO STAY ON LIST

*Hughes
*McMahon
*Raines
* Cogs-we are betting on the wrong horse if we think someone who has had 2 knees and almost 3 years out can take us forward.(sorry)
* Hislop

I know many of us will be upset about Richo so I will make one final point.

How many Essendon supporters are still crying over the retirement of James Hird.......Not many I would imagine....they just go to the football each week and watch their exciting young team play.SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

:gotigers

Unleash the tornado

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
Unfortunately the time has come to make some unpopular and painful decisions.......Decisions that will make many members of the faithful howl with displeasure.

Sorry to regurgitate the same old cliches but its time "cut to the bone" and "take a few steps backwards before we can go forward"

RETIRE

1 Bowden
2 Johnson
3 Simmonds
4 Brown
5 Richardson-Thanks for the wonderful memories Richo....but you playing in 2010 is just wall paper over the cracks.

DELIST

6 Schultz
7 King
8 Polak
9 Pettifer
10 JON.

As Stripes has only allowed 10 players to be retired/traded/delisted I will include a new category

PLAYERS EXTREMELY LUCKY TO STAY ON LIST

*Hughes
*McMahon
*Raines
* Cogs-we are betting on the wrong horse if we think someone who has had 2 knees and almost 3 years out can take us forward.(sorry)
* Hislop

I know many of us will be upset about Richo so I will make one final point.

How many Essendon supporters are still crying over the retirement of James Hird.......Not many I would imagine....they just go to the football each week and watch their exciting young team play.SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

:gotigers

Not really sure why you would say Richo?? He is by far still our best player, he maybe our oldest player but still has a lot of good football left in him. Don't just get rid of players just for the sake of it. It's not about us moving on as a club but it's about having the best players on our list regardless of how old they are or what they have done for our club to this point. Granted we need an influx of good kids into our club but Richo will not only come back this year and play well but will play next year and play well then too.  :thumbsup
Did i mention how much i love Richo!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »
JON, Pettifer, McMahon, Polak, King, Johnson, Bowden, Simmonds, Edwards, Hislop, Thomson, Connors, Tuck ...

Delist, Trade, don't care! go away!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
Don't forget some of the "obvious" choices for delisting are contracted until next year - King, Schulz & McMahon  :P. You can only get rid of them if you can find another stupid enough to take them off our hands.

You also need to take into account the number and sort of draft picks we'll have. The outs need to balance the ins. I think this reason may save two oldies (Richo and Cuz) for another year.

So assuming we finish last or near to with 4 wins or less that will give us picks something like 2, 18, 19, 35, 51, etc.

Retirees
Bowden, Johnson, Simmonds, Brown, Polak

Delistings/trades
JON, Pettifer, Silvester (r)

If we could get another sub-pick 50 via a trade for JON or Schulz you'd take it in a heartbeat.

With Joel retiring we'll only have only one veteran left (Richo) so one of our rookie will be able to be automatically promoted at the start of 2010 without the need for a long-term injury. Hence I would leave Nahas and Browne as rookies for another year.

So all up we could aim to have say 6 picks within the first 51 or so of the National draft, the first PSD pick + 3 more  rookies (7 rookies allowed in total + 1 veteran).

Finish with 4 wins next year and you do that same again with the likes of King, McMahon, etc who survived this year only due to their contract. Trade an excess player to GC for a pick. Cuz and Richo will retire and we'll have another 5 picks in the top 50 - 1, 7, 26, 30ish (GC trade), 43 say. So the new coach goes into his second year (2011) with Newman our oldest player at 28 and the vast majority of the list b/w 18-25 y.o and no age gaps. Use these early picks in next two drafts to fix the remaining structure of our side and list (a couple of classy big key forwards and ballwinners in the midfield) and we'll be fine by 2012-13 onwards.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
SOunds great to me MT except history tells us that first year coaches always seem to inspire there teams to perform....

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
Don't forget some of the "obvious" choices for delisting are contracted until next year - King, Schulz & McMahon  :P. You can only get rid of them if you can find another stupid enough to take them off our hands.

You also need to take into account the number and sort of draft picks we'll have. The outs need to balance the ins. I think this reason may save two oldies (Richo and Cuz) for another year.

So assuming we finish last or near to with 4 wins or less that will give us picks something like 2, 18, 19, 35, 51, etc.

Retirees
Bowden, Johnson, Simmonds, Brown, Polak

Delistings/trades
JON, Pettifer, Silvester (r)

If we could get another sub-pick 50 via a trade for JON or Schulz you'd take it in a heartbeat.

With Joel retiring we'll only have only one veteran left (Richo) so one of our rookie will be able to be automatically promoted at the start of 2010 without the need for a long-term injury. Hence I would leave Nahas and Browne as rookies for another year.

So all up we could aim to have say 6 picks within the first 51 or so of the National draft, the first PSD pick + 3 more  rookies (7 rookies allowed in total + 1 veteran).

Finish with 4 wins next year and you do that same again with the likes of King, McMahon, etc who survived this year only due to their contract. Trade an excess player to GC for a pick. Cuz and Richo will retire and we'll have another 5 picks in the top 50 - 1, 7, 26, 30ish (GC trade), 43 say. So the new coach goes into his second year (2011) with Newman our oldest player at 28 and the vast majority of the list b/w 18-25 y.o and no age gaps. Use these early picks in next two drafts to fix the remaining structure of our side and list (a couple of classy big key forwards and ballwinners in the midfield) and we'll be fine by 2012-13 onwards.
So from our list you only want to delist JON and Petts, come on, you can do better than that!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
SOunds great to me MT except history tells us that first year coaches always seem to inspire there teams to perform....
Not sure if Mr Bailey would agree!  :lol