Author Topic: Wayne Campbell early favourite / Tigers say no to Malthouse, Sheedy (Herald-Sun)  (Read 6752 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wayne Campbell early favourite for Tigers job
Jon Ralph and Mark Robinson
June 02, 2009

RICHMOND has ruled out veterans Mick Malthouse and Kevin Sheedy as its senior coach next year, with assistant coach Wayne Campbell the early favourite for the job.

The Tigers yesterday met assistant coaches Campbell, Craig McRae, David King and Jade Rawlings, asking if they were prepared to take on the caretaker role that will be created by Terry Wallace's departure after Friday night's match against the Western Bulldogs.

Last night the club was yet to make a final call on the replacement.

All four are considered legitimate contenders, but the successful candidate is far from guaranteed the senior role next year.

The Tigers will begin an exhaustive search for a senior coach immediately, with the decision likely to involve a coaching sub-committee led by head of football Craig Cameron.

The club said yesterday the caretaker coach would be named after Friday's game at Etihad Stadium.

President Gary March confirmed last night Sheedy would not be the interim coach, and indicated the Tigers were leaning towards a younger coach for 2010.

Asked about the possibility of Sheedy replacing Wallace, March said: "None . . . zero."

It is believed Malthouse, previously linked to the Tigers role, is not a consideration for 2010, with growing speculation he will stay at the Magpies.

Former Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley fits the club's criteria: he's young, marketable and widely acknowledged as an outstanding coaching prospect.

The field will include Sydney's John Longmire, Hawthorn's Damien Hardwick, Fremantle's Chris Bond and Geelong's Ken Hinkley.

Wallace will lead the club in his last game at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

Former skipper Campbell will apply for the head coaching job at the end of the season, and is known to have strong support from March and former teammate and board member Tony Free.

Cameron dismissed discussion on the interim coach.

"We won't talk about that or the process at this stage," Cameron said yesterday.

"The process is ongoing but it will be made this week. We are happy to share that after this week's game and the process will start on Saturday."

After two weeks of discussions and another meeting on Sunday night, Wallace and Richmond agreed to part.

Wallace is keen to apply for other AFL positions, including the Gold Coast football manager's role, and does not believe it is fair to continue making decisions that affect Richmond.

He and the Tigers were reluctant for him to be involved in list-management decisions.

"It got to a situation where all of a sudden both the club and myself felt it almost untenable to stay in the role if I was going in a different direction," Wallace said.

"Probably the other factor I've found in the last week is you're starting at this stage of the year to deal with players careers and to be able to sit there and tell a player (from) a coach who's not
going to be going on . . . that was just getting difficult for both the club and myself to deal with."

Wallace yesterday bemoaned the lack of resources at the start of his tenure and said injuries this year had derailed the season.

"We got through the weekend's game, had a discussion last night and sat back and it was probably one of two scenarios," he said. "That was to either come in today and finish up or finish during the week.

"I didn't think we needed to run away and hide, I suppose that was the answer to it all.

"To finish a game, to not say anything and finish a game then just come in and say it's over, I didn't think that the appropriate way to go out."

Wallace said his legacy at the club would be decided when the players he recruited began to reach maturity.

"I know that there's been some people that have said I'm not leaving the place any better than when I arrived - I don't believe that," he said.

"Whoever takes on the role next up has got a very exciting footy side to go forward.

"The club was a basket case off the field when I arrived.

"The work that the board and the management have put in to turn that around, the next generation of players is there but also the next generation off the field is there."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25572440-19742,00.html

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Looks like Karl Langdon was right on the money again   :wallywink
Unleash the tornado

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Great, here comes another week of Wayne Campbell bashing by Infamy  ::)

If they know, they should just announce it.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Tigermonk

Great, here comes another week of Wayne Campbell bashing by Infamy  ::)

If they know, they should just announce it.

problem is he makes a idiot of himself everytime he starts bashing him cause Campbells record shows for itself
Thats why Campbell is held high in the eye of the football public & media & in the position he is today
Imfamy probably had a duffle coat with #33 & a l love Matthew Knight badge  ;D  :shh

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Well this statement sum's up why if Campbell is given the job full time that this club will never go any further.

"Former skipper Campbell will apply for the head coaching job at the end of the season, and is known to have strong support from March and former teammate and board member Tony Free."

We need a coach from a successfull CURRENT AFL club, give me Hardwick any day or Hinckly, Tony Free and Campbell......... mates rates. For Christs sake Richmond look outside the box!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
It would be Hinkly for me, has impressive stats as a player and coach at VFL level.
I read an article recently that Thompson holds him in the highest esteem, said he was ready for his own team at AFL level.

Tigermonk

Well this statement sum's up why if Campbell is given the job full time that this club will never go any further.

"Former skipper Campbell will apply for the head coaching job at the end of the season, and is known to have strong support from March and former teammate and board member Tony Free."

We need a coach from a successfull CURRENT AFL club, give me Hardwick any day or Hinckly, Tony Free and Campbell......... mates rates. For Christs sake Richmond look outside the box!!!!!

Of course Campbell will apply for the job as will many others its normal process, The Senior coach is on holiday  ;D

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Of course Campbell will apply for the job as will many others its normal process, The Senior coach is on holiday  ;D

I did not say he shouldn't apply, I just said he shouldn't get the job based on mates rates, we need an outsider to Coach this club. We do not need someone who is part responsible for the current state of the club!!!

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Tigermonk

I did not say he shouldn't apply, I just said he shouldn't get the job based on mates rates, we need an outsider to Coach this club. We do not need someone who is part responsible for the current state of the club!!!

l dont understand how you can say Campbell is part of the reason for the state of the club, The problem with the club was created by the club adminstration. The club is responsible for the state its in at present, having the wrong people running the club & having few people doing more positions than they should have been which in fact makes it easier to cover things up. which will unfold further down the track beleive me
Blaming Campbell for being at the club is a very low blow & shows you know nothing about the running of a football club.
it also shows you dont read alot or dont take notice what is being said. Wallace pointed it out yesterday & not once did he or anyone else metion Campbell
read the interview of the conference again.
How do you know Campbell is mates with Tony Free ?? just cause they played in the same era dont mean nothing, l can tell you not everyone is mates at RFC.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years

it's that kind of narrow minded neanderthel view that has been discarded by leading clubs in ESS and Hawthorn that have focussed more on the capbility of the individual than noted what colour jumper he wore...An approach that I support :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I hope we get a untried, unambitious caretaker who follows the administrations directions to play for the future. The last thing we can afford is to get a caretaker coach who tires to win games to pump up their resume. I don't think Campbell would want to take on a position such as that and would go for glory.

Next year I think Hardwick, Hinkley, Scott and Buckley should be first in line for the position....but would they want the job? That's the question.

Now watch the other clubs follow suit and coaches to start tumbling.... :rollin

Stripes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

l dont understand how you can say Campbell is part of the reason for the state of the club, The problem with the club was created by the club adminstration. The club is responsible for the state its in at present, having the wrong people running the club & having few people doing more positions than they should have been which in fact makes it easier to cover things up. which will unfold further down the track beleive me
Blaming Campbell for being at the club is a very low blow & shows you know nothing about the running of a football club.
it also shows you dont read alot or dont take notice what is being said. Wallace pointed it out yesterday & not once did he or anyone else metion Campbell
How do you know Campbell is mates with Tony Free ?? just cause they played in the same era dont mean nothing, l can tell you not everyone is mates at RFC.

l dont understand how you can say Campbell is part of the reason for the state of the club, The problem with the club was created by the club adminstration.

Because he is an assistant coach there and midfield coach thats why, does the administration coach????

The club is responsible for the state its in at present, having the wrong people running the club & having few people doing more positions than they should have been which in fact makes it easier to cover things up. which will unfold further down the track beleive me

So why blame Wallace all the time, he never had the support staff around him like the other clubs did and he did the best he could without resources.

Where did I blame Campbell alone??? How many football clubs have you run????

I have better things to do than trying to read all the crap you post on this site, I presume that is what you are talking about??

Because from reading alot I have found out that Free got Campbell to the club to set him up for the big job and I hope it doesn't happen

"Rucks:

Tigermonk

just the answers l thought you write you stupid man  ;D

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
just the answers l thought you write you stupid man  ;D

A bit too comprehensive for you to answer back with words that have more than two syllables... :wallywink

"Rucks:

Tigermonk

l got better things to read than your twisted junk you know fuckall.