Author Topic: Coburg vs North Ballarat - Sunday June 7  (Read 3026 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Coburg vs North Ballarat - Sunday June 7
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
North Ballarat are probably the strongest VFL side but still a disappointing result given it was a farewell game for Rawlings. Perhaps that played on the Burgers' minds. They should get at least Jordie back next week lol. Gawd I hope Kingy doesn't come into the Richmond side next week.

Would beleive Kingy is a moral to play next week ;) :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
I know Cleve is running around in the coburg twos but do you think he should get thrown into the Richmond side soon? It wouldnt be a reward but more of a "you are on notice, prove yourself or you are gone"  situation? 
Not the worst idea out there as it's bold although you do at least want to see the player show something first that shows he is at least putting his hand up. You would've thought with Schulz missing Clever would have at least come up and played in the Coburg seniors  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
Would beleive Kingy is a moral to play next week ;) :shh
Well that's a comforting thought isn't it. Le Cras kicks 4 of his 6 goals from Kingy kicking across goal  :P

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »
Coburg Tigers: Carnell 3 Duhau 2 Clarke 2

BEST:
North Ballarat: Sewell Roach Moloney Wundke Feery Garlett
Coburg Tigers: King Liddle Carnell Clarke Horne Oakley-Nicholls

Hmmm I didn't think Jake was very good - turned the ball over to much for my liking

Thought JON was ok - not as good as he has been. He rolled his ankle just before half time, came out in the 3rd and was fine

The kid from the Calder Cannons Duhau who played as the 23rd man (2nd time he has played) - I liked his game. Very lightly framed but doesn't shirk a contest and has good skills.

I gave Hislop, Edwards and Thompson a pass because their efforts in the 2nd half were average as opposed to the fild half which were shocking

Very disppointing efforts from most of the RFC listed blokes to be honest. And anyone who wants Gourdis elevated should get a tape of todays game and you should see why I am don't think he deserves it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
WP, how did the other talls go - Gus, Vickery and Browne?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
WP, how did the other talls go - Gus, Vickery and Browne?

Vickery: looked lost in the conditions and wasn't holding his marks. He was very slow in reacting defensively when he didn't have the ball. A good example was in the 3rd qtr he went for a mark, dropped it and stood there and let this opponent get a handball away, only after his opponent relased the ball did he put in the 2nd effort to chase

Gus: spent a lot of time up forward rather than being rested on the bench when he was taken out of the ruck. He applied very little defensive forward 50 pressure. I was disppointed with his game .. it is hard to describe but he just wasnt intense enough ... based on today doesn't deserve to play in the AFL next week ...which means he probably will  ;D

Browne: was OK for the amount of time he had on the ground. I thought his actually ruck work was a lot better than Gus' today.

Actually part of Coburg's problem today to me at least was they were too "top heavy" for the conditions. At one point in the 3rd they had Gus, Post, Gourdis in the F50 with the ball coming in and no crumbers other than Carnell (who's an absolute gun leader BTW), with the other Ruckman (Browne) floating down there as well

Before anyone asks - Putt played at CHB today
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
Cheers WP. Go figure - Coburg is top heavy with too many big talls up forward on a wet day while the Richmond forward line at the dry Dome had no big tall forwards :P.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
Does Thomson look like getting a game with Richmond anytime soon? How come Schulz missed, ankle injury from last week?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »

Gus: spent a lot of time up forward rather than being rested on the bench when he was taken out of the ruck. He applied very little defensive forward 50 pressure. I was disppointed with his game .. it is hard to describe but he just wasnt intense enough ... based on today doesn't deserve to play in the AFL next week ...which means he probably will  ;D

i fail to see why Gus was even in the ressies, he missed 2 weeks and as if simmo should be keeping him out...once again v Freo his oppoenet just about snared BOG which would have been 5 or 6 times this year....Gus needs to be bought back immediately :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
You would've thought with Schulz missing Clever would have at least come up and played in the Coburg seniors  ???.

Agreed. I think that speaks loads.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger cubs aim to impress Rawlings (Age)
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 06:30:11 AM »
Tiger cubs aim to impress Rawlings
Brent Diamond | June 8, 2009

RICHMOND caretaker coach Jade Rawlings hardly signed off in style with Coburg Tigers, who lost by 50 points to reigning premier North Ballarat in the VFL yesterday, but there were plenty of young Richmond-listed players out to impress the new boss.

Jake King had one of his best games for the season with a swag of disposals in the midfield. Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls was the other Tigers-listed player who shone, while Tyrone Vickery, Jayden Post and Adam Thomson showed glimpses of what they could do. Jay Schulz was a late withdrawal.

Coburg general manager Ryan O'Connor said Rawlings had a bond with the young Tigers.

"There's no doubt it's an interesting bond between players and coaches … I'd reckon there'd be some Richmond players who'd love it that he's got the job and there'd be Coburg players sad to see him go but he's not going to be far away," O'Connor said.

"This is a very unique situation for the players and it doesn't happen that often that your coach leaves midway through a season in the VFL."

The arrival at Richmond of Rawlings as caretaker coach has also given some VFL coaches plenty of confidence to advance their careers, among them Bulldogs development coach Brad Gotch, Magpies coach Gavin Brown and Port Melbourne's Gary Ayres.

The new Coburg coach, who is expected to be either Richmond assistant Craig McRae or Coburg playing assistant and former Hawk Tim Clarke, will be announced next weekend during Coburg's split-round bye.

Michael Wundke booted five for the top-of-the-ladder Roosters, while Myles Sewell and Tom Roach gave plenty of ball supply in the midfield.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tiger-cubs-aim-to-impress-rawlings/2009/06/07/1244313032398.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger's tough day (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »
Tiger's tough day
Bruce Matthews | June 08, 2009

FRONT row of an old wooden grandstand was the spartan office yesterday for Richmond's new senior coach.

Jade Rawlings regularly clamped on the headphones to bark an order to his runner in a tin shed on the boundary line 40m away.

He made the 200km round trip to chilly Ballarat to fulfil a commitment to coach the Coburg Tigers and could only watch helplessly as Richmond's VFL affiliate succumbed by 50 points to powerhouse North Ballarat.

Standing in the rain on muddy Eastern Oval at three-quarter time to address the players, surrounded by 100 fans, didn't hurt Rawlings as much as the crushing loss.

"The VFL keeps you very level, sometimes in less than salubrious surrounds compared to the Etihad Stadium or MCG coach's box," Richmond's caretaker coach said later in the cluttered, but warm, visitors' dressing rooms.

"But I love the VFL, it's a great competition in which you deal with good, young players and staff here who are all enthusiastic professionals.

"The last 24 hours my whole life has turned around, really, with the amount of people who have been in touch.

"My commitment to Coburg has been 100 per cent since the day I got the job and I wanted to do this well today.

"I don't think I was distracted in any way towards this game.

"I was disappointed with the result, but the players had a go in tough conditions against a good team."

With cars parked two-deep on the outer wing slopes, a gluepot centre square and hand-operated scoreboard, it had the true feel of country footy with fans huddled in hoods and jackets to ward off the rain.

The slippery turf, mud-caked players and biting cold will be a distant memory when Rawlings picks up the phone in the air-conditioned coach's box at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night to start his AFL adventure against West Coast.

But, true to his word, he stayed in the present as Coburg fought back to within 32 points early in the last quarter before conceding a couple of late goals.

"I didn't want to touch it (the senior coach subject). I spoke to the Richmond boys yesterday after I had been appointed" he said.

"I wanted to make sure this (Coburg's VFL match) was to be done well and we didn't get distracted from the task."

For the first time, he had time to focus on Richmond during the drive home down the Western Highway last night. It all starts with a regular Monday player meeting at the Punt Rd Oval.

"There's a lot of work ahead of us in the coaches group, particularly the next couple of days, to put in place what we want to establish," Rawlings said.

"Tomorrow we'll do a far bit of planning and meet with the players."

Watching the game yesterday in a forward pocket was John Northey, a man who knows a thing or two about the caper as a past coach of Richmond, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25601783-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' coach draws fans (Ballarat Courier)
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:56 AM »
Tigers' coach draws fans
Ballarat Courier | 8/06/2009

RICHMOND fans flocked to Ballarat's Eastern Oval yesterday.

But the main attraction was not a sprinkling of Tiger players running around with Coburg against North Ballarat in a Victorian Football League clash.

The spotlight was squarely on Richmond's new coach Jade Rawlings, as he oversaw the Coburg Tigers for the last time _ at least for this season.

Richmond announced on Saturday that Rawlings had been appointed to take over the reins from Terry Wallace at Punt Road Oval.

And the Richmond faithful were eager to yesterday get up close and personal with Rawlings, which is possible in the VFL environment.

Accompanied by an eager band of photographers and television camera crews, Richmond fanatics and curiosity seekers swarmed around the Coburg huddle at quarter and three-quarter times just to get a glimpse of the Rawlings brand of coaching.

The opportunity to do this has always been there over the past couple of seasons, but suddenly it means so much more now that he has been given the task of leading Richmond for the last 11 games of the AFL season.

Coburg officials, led by general manager Ryan O'Connor, monitored the scene to ensure Rawlings and his players were given enough room.

While Saturday's announcement was a special moment for Rawlings, he will be hoping his day at the Eastern Oval bears no resemblance to what lays ahead in the Richmond coaching box.

North Ballarat gave Coburg a 50-point towelling in heavy conditions, 14.12 (96) to 7.4 (46), to move to top position and relegate the Tigers from third to fourth.

Richmond fans will be hoping there are better times ahead in 2009 for Rawlings and themselves.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/general/tigers-coach-draws-fans/1534262.aspx

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »
I know there was a huge media contingent there yesterday to see Jade Rawlings, but did Brent Diamond from The Age write his piece from the bar or something? I don't think he was describing the same game that I saw.
Jake King played one of his best games ever?
Every time he had the ball he bombed it to nobody. At least 3 or 4 Nth Ballarat goals came as a direct result of his turnovers.
JON was one of the few to shine?
He'd hardly had a touch to half time, and  one of his few contributions to the action in this period was giving away a 50-metre penalty.
Vickery, Thomson and Post showed glimpses of what they can do?
Well, Post maybe. But as William Powell suggested, Vickery looked absolutely lost in the squelchy conditions, dropping marks he should have taken, and his  lack of intensity at the contest on several occasions was quite troubling.
There were also a couple of instances when Thomson looked terrified to use his boot. Seeming to lack confidence in his kicking, he'd gather the ball in the centre square glue pot and just freeze as if he'd become mired in the mud, before getting mowed down.
I know I've been pumping up David Gourdis' tyres in the past for a promotion to the senior list. But from what I saw of him yesterday, I won't embarrass myself any further. The guy cannot kick for peanuts.
I don't mean to sound so negative, but there was just so little to salvage from such a dismal display. One goal to nine at half time. A goalless second quarter. Not one Richmond listed player amongst the paltry seven goals kicked for the afternoon. A game that was effectively over by quarter time. And as a spectacle, it was so noticeable that every time we tried to mount an attack, the Roosters gave us no space to work in.
 As such, we were treated to a display of depressing all-in mud wrestling, with one 5 metre kick slewing off the boot after another from our blokes. Alternately, when they gained possession, they seemed to find all the space they wanted, hitting targets, and peppering the goals.
By the way Mighty Tiges. Did the J-Peg I sent you come out okay? 

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the comprehensive report RR :thumbsup