Author Topic: Coburg vs North Ballarat - Sunday June 7  (Read 3025 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Coburg vs North Ballarat - Sunday June 7
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:20 PM »
I know I've been pumping up David Gourdis' tyres in the past for a promotion to the senior list. But from what I saw of him yesterday, I won't embarrass myself any further. The guy cannot kick for peanuts.

Yeah those two set shots 25-30 metres out (one of which went out on the full) were shockers.

But thing that disappointed me the most was in the final qtr Coburg were streaming forward and they needed a forward to make a lead by running back towards the goal square. This was Gourdis' moment but he just stood on the F50 arc with hands on hips and did nothing - was very very disappointing, east turnover to the Roosters

BTW: Post I prefer to see play down back than forward
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Coburg vs North Ballarat - Sunday June 7
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
Round 9 Match Report
By Glenn Robertson
coburgtigers.com.au

ROUND 9
NORTH BALLARAT v COBURG TIGERS
EASTERN OVAL
SUNDAY 7th JUNE

The Burgers travelled up to the Eastern Oval on Sunday to take on North Ballarat. Coburg had won three games on the trot and were confident of making it four, while the Roosters were also in great form having won six out of seven games for the season. It was well publicised that this was to be Burger coach Jade Rawlings’ last game in charge of Coburg, having been selected as the new coach of Richmond. Congratulations to Jade!!

The Burger side made the hundred kilometre trek to Ballarat and were met by windy and freezing conditions. Only a small crowd braved the miserly conditions that saw the Burgers struggle in the opening term and only kick a solitary goal for the quarter. The sticky muddy centre made players think twice about moving the ball through the middle of the ground and on multiple occasions throughout the match players from both sides arose form the muddy section totally caked in mud.

Coburg Tigers 1.1 (7)   North Ballarat 5.2 (32)

Unfortunately for the Burgers things didn’t get any better in the second term as the boys struggled to get the ball into their forward fifty. The Roosters defence stood tall and the Tigers went into half time having scored only a single goal for the quarter. Jake King was a standout player for the Burgers, dominating play in Coburg’s backline and stopping his opponent from getting a kick. Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls was also one of the Burgers best playing on a wing and also moving back to help out his defending teammates.

Coburg Tigers 1.2 (8)   North Ballarat 9.7 (61)

After a well deserved spray from Jade Rawlings at halftime Coburg seemed to lift a little in the second half. The boys were harder at the ball than the Roosters and stuck the majority of their tackles. Captain Nick Carnell again moved forward and booted three goals for the half in a fine display, while goal sneak Andrew Duhau also finished with two majors.

Unfortunately it was too little too late for the Burgers and although they won the quarter they were still facing down a deficit of 52 points at the final change.

Coburg Tigers 4.2 (26)   North Ballarat 11.12 (78)

Coburg fought back well in the final term kicking consecutive goals to get within 38 points midway through the term. Nic Liddle and Tim Clarke who had both played well all day, began to get on top in the midfield and linked up well but the Roosters kicked a couple of late goals to take the lead back out to the 50 point margin.

The major positive the Burgers could take out of the match is they won the second half. The boys still sit in fourth place on the ladder with a healthy percentage and take on seventh place Port Melbourne at TEAC Oval this Saturday at 1.10pm, while reserves start at 10.20am.

Coburg Tigers  1.1 1.2 4.2 7.4 (46)
North Ballarat   5.2 9.7 11.12 14.12 (96)

Goal Kickers: N. Carnell 3, T. Clarke 2, A. Duhau 2

Best Players: J. King, N. Liddle, N. Carnell, T. Clarke, A. Horne, J. Oakley-Nicholls

RESERVES

The Burger reserves also had their winning streak put to a halt with a twenty five point defeat from the Roosters. The game was still up for grabs midway through the last term, before North Ballarat kicked away to put the game beyond doubt. Damien Rayson and Christian McErlain were again standouts for the Tigers, while Matt Deledio also played a great game. Ryan Allan and Cleve Hughes were the Burgers only targets up forward kicking six of the Tigers seven goals.

Coburg Tigers  2.2 3.4 6.6 7.9 (51)
North Ballarat   2.3 5.6 8.10 11.10 (76)

Goal Kickers: R. Allan 3, C. Hughes 3, D. Rayson

Best Players: D. Rayson, M. Deledio, J. Morris, C. McErlain, C. Hughes, J. Horne

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=9215395&sectionID=56260