Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / Tigers must lift skill level: Wallace  (Read 1615 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers must lift skill level: Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By David Reed 11:55 PM Fri 05 June, 2009

TERRY Wallace has delivered a stark prognosis for the club he has just finished coaching after watching his side concede 17 goals and eight behinds from direct turnovers on Friday night.

It was the major factor in the Tigers’ 68-point drubbing at the hands of the Western Bulldogs and the worst turnover-to-score count in Wallace’s 247-game coaching memory.

“That’s been the problem with the footy club more than any other problem,” Wallace said post-match.

“Until that can be rectified, that’s by personnel or by practice, the club won’t take the steps forward that it wants to take.

“I can’t remember a worse result than that. I think after half-time 10 of their 13 goals came from direct turnovers.

“It’s very, very difficult to sit in the coaches’ box and be able to do anything in regards to that.

“That’s a long-term thing; it’s a ‘have you got the right people?’; ‘do you need to have better decision makers and kickers involved in your team?’

“Or do you have to have strategies in place that don’t allow you to be so flippant with your turnovers?”

Wallace said the turnover malaise might have been the cause of Richmond appearing to not be able to run out games this season.

“There are a lot of issues that the club has got to look at but we haven’t run out games at all,” he said.

“[But] when you keep turning the footy over that makes you look like you’re not running out games because it’s all downhill running from there.”

Wallace said he planned to support two of his children who had just started Year 11 and 12 exams in the short term.

But by next week he would “hit the coffee set” and try to shore up his future career, hopefully in football.

Despite the shocking result at Docklands on Friday night, Wallace said he was glad he had been granted a final game at the helm and thought it benefited both parties.

Personally, he was thrilled to have a last game in front of family and friends after last week’s win over Fremantle in Perth.

Secondly, it gave the club’s as-yet-unnamed caretaker coach time to get organised after a short week, given the Tigers’ Friday night game following their round 10 trip to Perth.

“I didn’t think it was fair for an interim coach to get four or five days to prepare with a side that was very sore and tired coming back from Perth, and playing against the third-best side in the Bulldogs,” he said.

“At least he gets a seven or eight day break to structure it up. The club is playing an interstate club on the ‘G [so] it gives them a fair chance.”

The Tigers are expected to announce their interim coach on Saturday and after the game last night, players said they had no idea who it would be.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/78337/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

No poo Tez.
Thanks for that.
5 years to try and improve that or instill a game plan and a mental toughness to try and combat that.
Losing is hard to swallow at all times but to lose by 12 goals when you were in front at half time is what makes this all the more galling to us.
Legacy of the Wallace era INFERIOR SKILLS and INFERIOR GAMEPLAN  :banghead

P.S Not screaming by using capitals people just emphasising.
Happy new Year Tigers 2010 has begun in earnest after 11 rounds of 2009.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
from the Herald-Sun | By Jon Ralph | June 06, 2009.....

After such a rousing win against Fremantle last week, Wallace's coaching career ended with an anti-climatic whimper.

"A few people questioned the reasons why we went down that pathway but there were quite a few reasons why we did so," Wallace said.

"The first reason was mine personally. Last week we were over in Perth and my wife Keryn was over there, but you don't have any opportunity for family and friends to be part of a long journey."

"It also gave the club more time, coming back off Perth with a really short week, a chance to get themselves sorted out and organised. It doesn't give that interim coach much time to get involved."

Wallace's players once again butchered the ball last night, conceding 17.8 from turnovers.

"Everyone loves a fairytale. It was a game of footy that we wanted to go out and compete and do our best but we just ran out of legs, completely," he said.

"(Turnovers have) been the problem for the footy club more so than any other problem, and until it can be rectified . . . the club won't take the steps forward that it wants to take."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25595584-19742,00.html

Jackstar is back

shows what a idiot Wallace is. GOODBYE

Tigermonk

;D Amazing have never seen another coach like this guy. says what needs to be done yet in 5 years the supporters are still seeing the same thing.
The cull is not over yet  ;D

Jackstar is back

we dont need a broom.
We need the street sweeper

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
where is moi and her musician lover :lol :lol :lol

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
I apologise in advance if this question has already been discussed ad infinitum on another thread. But really,why didn't Terry just finish up with our win over Freo in his 500th game last week? That would have been the perfect farewell. We had absolutely nothing to gain by him coaching us against the Dogs. It not only gave them the added incentive to come out and smash us, but it also gave their smug little cluster of fans the opportunity to say that the karmic wheel had run us over, then backed up for a second go. (Pity we never got the same opportunity with Brad Ottens, but then does anything ever go right for us?)
In my opinion, requesting this last game was just pure selfishness and egotism on Terry's part. I'm sure in his addled little mind, like hijacking our farewell press conference to apologise to the Dogs,he imagined that he was going to re-build some bridge between him and his old club that's haunted him for years.The fact is that he  burnt the bridge to the ground 7 years ago. And if he thought the Doggies and their fans were going to somehow come out and  say "all is forgiven Terry, we love you", after the game then he was seriously deluding himself. Good Riddance.   

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
I apologise in advance if this question has already been discussed ad infinitum on another thread. But really,why didn't Terry just finish up with our win over Freo in his 500th game last week? That would have been the perfect farewell. We had absolutely nothing to gain by him coaching us against the Dogs. It not only gave them the added incentive to come out and smash us, but it also gave their smug little cluster of fans the opportunity to say that the karmic wheel had run us over, then backed up for a second go. (Pity we never got the same opportunity with Brad Ottens, but then does anything ever go right for us?)
In my opinion, requesting this last game was just pure selfishness and egotism on Terry's part. I'm sure in his addled little mind, like hijacking our farewell press conference to apologise to the Dogs,he imagined that he was going to re-build some bridge between him and his old club that's haunted him for years.The fact is that he  burnt the bridge to the ground 7 years ago. And if he thought the Doggies and their fans were going to somehow come out and  say "all is forgiven Terry, we love you", after the game then he was seriously deluding himself. Good Riddance.   

beautifully said

and will say it a bit nasty

wallace you selfish C, FO! and u r never welcome back at punt rd again and dog loving bastard

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

beautifully said

wallace you selfish C, FO! and u r never welcome back at punt rd again and dog loving bastard
Bigots

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
“That’s been the problem with the footy club more than any other problem,” Wallace said post-match.

“Until that can be rectified, that’s by personnel or by practice, the club won’t take the steps forward that it wants to take.

“I can’t remember a worse result than that. I think after half-time 10 of their 13 goals came from direct turnovers.

What did you think coaching was Terry?

You were there to raise the skill level of the players, and if the skills weren't up to scratch, formulate a gameplan that doesn't rely on pinpoint skills!!  :banghead

You were also responsible for picking and having a say in players that we need, then why did you get players that cannot kick! You gave up pick 19 for a guy that was meant to be our saviour in that area, and he's fricken hopeless!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

beautifully said

Bigots

phaggot

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

What did you think coaching was Terry?

You were there to raise the skill level of the players, and if the skills weren't up to scratch, formulate a gameplan that doesn't rely on pinpoint skills!!  :banghead

You were also responsible for picking and having a say in players that we need, then why did you get players that cannot kick! You gave up pick 19 for a guy that was meant to be our saviour in that area, and he's fricken hopeless!!

he got what he wanted out of frc, 5 yrs of very healthy and wealthy paycheck
that bastard got paid to do swet stuff all. theif!!!!

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Now that's really funny - using that word just proves that you are a bigot   ;)

Jackstar is back

100% agree.