Author Topic: Ken Hinkley  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ken Hinkley
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:57 AM »
Infamy - I think you are not far from the money. If Hinkley has not even had his 2nd interview yet then his sudden favouritism would more than likely linked to the recent articles and video as you mentioned. The fact the media are divided in their opinions and keep jumping from candidate to candidate indicated to me that there has been no leak but rather they are jumping at shadows all trying to make a scoop without evidence.

That article was a little concerning for me just because the way they described Hinkley as a player reminded me of the way TW played. They even said he was less defensively minded which is the area I feel our players have been most lacking in. While I'm only being wary here - I hope he doesn't coach like he played or we will have TW #2.

Now in saying that, I don't think Hinkley would base his coaching philosophy on his playing style particularly given the side he has helped build at Geelong and the defensive pressure they focus on each week. He is the offensive coach though but he coached 3 of the 4 teams he oversaw before becoming an assistant to Geelong to premierships which you would assume is built on the back of a good defense. ??? ???  ???

I'm more confused now than ever.  :help

Stripes

TigerTimeII

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »
Agree Infamy

I have to say I am absolutely baffled as to why Hinkley is favourite when he hasn't had his 2nd interview yet  ???

If he had that 2nd interview not a problem but he hasn't so it seems strange...no.... actually it seems likes the media is grasping again

because regardless how hinkley dressed for the occasion, his first interview was that impressive and so far ahead of the pack, even ur beloved jade (man with a girls name) that from there on its just a formality
the process continued, just to be fair and to be sure, but ken hinkley has the job if he wants it! and he will make a difference

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Agree Infamy

I have to say I am absolutely baffled as to why Hinkley is favourite when he hasn't had his 2nd interview yet  ???

If he had that 2nd interview not a problem but he hasn't so it seems strange...no.... actually it seems likes the media is grasping again

because regardless how hinkley dressed for the occasion, his first interview was that impressive and so far ahead of the pack, even ur beloved jade (man with a girls name) that from there on its just a formality
the process continued, just to be fair and to be sure, but ken hinkley has the job if he wants it! and he will make a difference
The time he was stopped by the media in casual clothes going to the PWC building was not for a meeting with the RFC, it was for something else.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »

"a man with a girls name" hmmm there have been so many hasn't there? John Wayne anyone  ;D

Actually if Hinkley does get the job I really do hope he makes a difference because if he doesn't you will jump off his bandwagon quickly  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
What I don't understand is how he could be a clear favourite before he even had his 2nd interview tonight
Makes no sense

He's not, but he is being primed for it. It is a great Puff piece by the Age in an attempt to garner a greater support for Hinkley. Someone there or someone close to the action is driving this campaign or push if you will by firstly disseminating the video and now the articles are comming forward. He's not the clear favorite "on the record" but the journos at least in this case want the public perception to be so.

Personally I don't mind if we pick up Hinkley or Hardwick. I think Hardwick might be a little concerned though.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers happy to let Hinkley to negotiate start date (Geelong Addy)
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
Tigers happy to let coaching candidate to negotiate start date
Joel Cresswell
August 20th, 2009

RICHMOND will allow Cats assistant Ken Hinkley to coach out the finals if it offers him its senior coaching job.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook confirmed yesterday the club would break with recent industry trend and attempt to hold onto Hinkley until season's end.

Collingwood released assistant Brad Scott from his contract on Monday when North Melbourne appointed him coach and Port Adelaide allowed Dean Bailey to leave for Melbourne during its 2007 grand final run.

But Mark Thompson rates Hinkley's input too valuable. "He's a very big part of what we do here, if he was to leave it would leave a massive hole ... we want our team working as a group for as long as we last," Thompson said.

A Richmond spokesperson confirmed yesterday the club would be understanding of applicants involved in a finals campaign and allow the incoming coach to negotiate their own start date.

Bell Park official Peter Burke, who worked closely with Hinkley in his stint at the Dragons, expects Hinkley will want to finish the season with the Cats.

"He's an incredibly ethical, moral bloke. He would finish this (Cats) job off with the greatest of passion, greatest of energy you could possibly ask anyone to do.

"I would be very surprised if he doesn't (see out the season) and if (the Cats) don't offer him that.

"Knowing their respect for Ken and how he operates, they will want to exploit every little bit of his capability right to the line."

Burke has worked in football operations with the Geelong Falcons and Bell Park and was part of Hinkley's match committee in the Dragons' 2003 premiership season.

Burke said Hinkley's coaching fingerprints were on Geelong's hard running, high scoring game plan.

"If you know Ken Hinkley and the way he has his sides play and the way he played himself, then look at Geelong's flair, their run, their attack from deep in defence - that (style) has Ken Hinkley written all over it.

"From the time Bomber allowed his support staff to have a greater input from the end of 2006 ... you can see Geelong footy club has changed the way it plays and I just think that says Ken Hinkley all over."

Hinkley firmed as the bookies favourite for the Richmond job yesterday afternoon. The club is expected to announce its new coach early next week from one of four candidates including Hinkley, Damien Hardwick, Allan Richardson and Jade Rawlings.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/08/20/95341_geelong_sports.html

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
been on hols in the USA, good to see Hinkley step in calculations.

ah memories of Monument Valley what a place.

personally regardless on who gets it, the next bloke just might rack up a few monuments for the club and himself
more than confident in the process.

interesting to see some other changes and more to follow it seems.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »
Hinkley seems to be very offensively focused and by the sounds of it was the engineer of Geelongs run and carry game out of defense. This is fantastic but as we all know it is not our attacking game that is our greatest weakness but rather our defensive efforts. I am hopeful that if he claims the gig, Hinkley will work on our defensive deficiencies before he focuses on our offensive game.

Stripes

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »
Hinkley seems to be very offensively focused and by the sounds of it was the engineer of Geelongs run and carry game out of defense. This is fantastic but as we all know it is not our attacking game that is our greatest weakness but rather our defensive efforts.

Stripes

hmm I must have missed somewhere that our <10 goal a game average was by some means acceptable ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »
Hinkley is over the line............

The only thing now is that RFC may not want him to continue at the cats thru the finals as they feel there is much work to do and they need to get stuck straight into it.  RFC may have told him in an earlier interview that it wud be ok to continue.

This will be ratified by the board and an announcement will be imminent.

By the way apparently Hardwick dod himself no favours at the 2nd interview, supposedly was demanding alot of things.....interesting.

Welcome aboard Ken.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
Hinkley seems to be very offensively focused and by the sounds of it was the engineer of Geelongs run and carry game out of defense. This is fantastic but as we all know it is not our attacking game that is our greatest weakness but rather our defensive efforts. I am hopeful that if he claims the gig, Hinkley will work on our defensive deficiencies before he focuses on our offensive game.

Stripes

In another post I quoted that old adage "attack is the best method of defence".  Geelong had the lowest points against in 2007, the lowest points against in 2008, and are currently 4th lowest (and only 29 points from 2nd lowest) in 2009.  I wonder if attack has anything to do with this?