Author Topic: Ken Hinkley  (Read 6385 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Ken Hinkley
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
He's into $1.90 on Sportingbet after being $2.40 earlier today.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
#%$^! I feel like running out and tearing a few opposition players a new hole and I'm not even playing! That was impressive and shows he is a good coach.

I

lol, luv ya work stripes :lol...i felt same way :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »
He's into $1.90 on Sportingbet after being $2.40 earlier today.
Hinkley now into $1.22 ......

Ken Hinkley's coaching coup
Jay Clark | August 19, 2009

KEN Hinkley has been heavily backed into favouritism for the Richmond coaching job.

The Geelong assistant had been on the third line of betting with bookmaker Sportingbet before a series of bets saw him take over favouritism from Damien Hardwick and Jade Rawlings.

“Hinkley has always been well in commission and there had been some support for him at longer odds but he is the only one punters have wanted in the past 24 hours,” Sullivan said.

Earlier today, the Herald Sun revealed this exclusive vision of the moment when Ken Hinkley's AFL coaching dream took flight.

In his last address as a local football senior coach (click here to see the video), Hinkley's three-quarter time rev-up got Bell Park over the line against St Mary's in the 2003 Geelong Football League Grand Final replay, at Skilled Stadium.

To the Bell Park players, and the hundred or so fans who gathered around the huddle, this vision still stands hairs on the backs of their necks.

The Dragons led by 34 points at the last change and triumphed by 19 in the club's first premiership win in 12 years.

For Hinkley, the Grand Final victory stamped himself as a local football coaching mastermind.

It was his third country footy premiership in four years and enough for the Cats to make him their forward coach for the following season.

Now, after almost six years as an assistant coach at the Cattery, where he has played a crucial role in their recent success, the 42-year-old is down to the final four in the Richmond coaching race.

Hinkley, the dual All-Australian who played 132 AFL games as an attacking half-back, comes with the highest recommendation from Geelong officials.

In about a week or so, the Tigers will make one of the most important decision in the club's recent history when they decide between him, Damien Hardwick, Alan Richardson and Jade Rawlings.

Former teammate Andrew Bews told the Geelong Advertiser Hinkley was destined to become an AFL coach.

“Kenny is driven to coach,” Bews said.

“I coached against him locally and he just tied us up in knots, and I remember thinking, ‘he's got us’.

“It wasn't Bell Park that beat us, it was Ken Hinkley.''

The night before the 2003 GFL grand final replay, Hinkley took his players to Skilled Stadium to help calm their nerves.

“When he talked you could hear a pin drop,” ex-Bell Park president Graeme Johnstone said.

“He was the only guy where even the members would turn off the telly and radio at the bar to hear him speak.''

Bell Park centreman Bruce Cohen, who was best on ground in the replay, said Hinkley was a brilliant communicator.

“He is a fantastic coach,” Cohen said. “He coaches to teach people, as opposed to just telling them to go in harder.”

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25951939-19742,00.html

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:14:06 PM »
Hinkley now into $1.22 ......

I doubt it could move that quickly unless people where really betting big.

An announcement could be imminent.....

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
Hinkley or Hardwick, I always wanted either one, Hardwick was my preferance but I will still take Hinkley!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »

Bell Park centreman Bruce Cohen, who was best on ground in the replay, said Hinkley was a brilliant communicator.

“He is a fantastic coach,” Cohen said. “He coaches to teach people, as opposed to just telling them to go in harder.”

The most important and relevant comment in the whole article.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »
hmmm the weight of money has come in for Hinkley 1.17...thats bloody short :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

TigerTimeII

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:10 AM »
To be fair its a pretty standard rev up. Hardly Chuchillian stuff but good to see he's not the lame duck people have been suggesting.

thats the ppoint though, u dont need rocket science to be  a coach, just need to be able to communicate teach and get the message accross, get the adrenalin flowing and the desire to compete and win.

old fashioned yes, but keep it simple , it works! and hinkley is the man for this job

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hinkley would give stereotype the boot (Age)
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 12:36:36 AM »
Hinkley would give stereotype the boot
Jake Niall | August 20, 2009

SHOULD Ken Hinkley become the next Richmond coach, he will have defied one of the game's most enduring and absurd prejudices: that the player who relied on skill, with minimal aggression or physical presence, cannot become a great coach.

Hinkley was a gifted footballer, who began his career where highly skilled, non-physical players once set up shop - on the half-forward flank. In 2000, when Kevin Sheedy spoke disparagingly of then West Coast and ex-Hawthorn coach Ken Judge, he called him a typical ''half-forward flanker.'' Coming from the rugged back-pocket plumber, the inference was clear.

Not long after Hinkley left Fitzroy and was cleared to Geelong - to be closer to his home town of Camperdown - Malcolm Blight moved him to defence, where he would flourish in a free-wheeling team that scored heavily. Hinkley was a beautiful player who played the game, yes, the way it should be played - for spectators, but not the way of a stereotypical coach.

Hinkley was a fluent, attacking player whose skills were not matched by the defensive mindset that coaches invariably demand. He did not lack courage - his mentor Blight describes him as ''very courageous'' in keeping his eye on the ball for a lightly framed player - but his game was based on skill, and aesthetically attractive in the Geelong tradition.

The field of coaches, even today, remains heavily biased in favour of hard men and ex-champions. Michael Malthouse, John Worsfold, Mark Williams, Ross Lyon, Alastair Clarkson and Mark Harvey were aggressive, physical players. Dean Bailey was a battling journeyman. Paul Roos was a champion. Brett Ratten and Michael Voss were both physical and champions. Brad Scott will continue the hard-man pattern, as would Damien Hardwick, who was highly skilled only in the sense that he was expert in the art of hurting opponents without giving away frees.

The notion that a coach must have played tough and a touch nasty is ridiculous, of course, and you wonder how it has managed to persist in a competition as professional as the AFL. The most obvious explanation is that football is wedded to the belief a coach must have automatic respect for his playing deeds, and the only players who are accorded unconditional respect - ie, the moment he walks in to the club - are those who once were warriors. Or dead-set champions.

The prejudice in favour of the tough guy remains, even while other outdated biases are gradually ebbing away. Not so long ago, it was considered essential for a coach to have played in a premiership team at league level. Williams, Clarkson and Roos have put paid to that ancient shibboleth, and Lyon - who played the bulk of his career with Roos at impecunious, struggling Fitzroy - is another potential premiership coach who didn't see a flag as a player.

Clubs now look whether you've been in a successful team, as player or assistant coach, a concession that allowed the likes of Lyon and Clarkson to be appointed. Essendon hired Matthew Knights, who while a star player and ex-captain, has defied the success bias for coaches. Hinkley has seen plenty of success, having coached premierships at Camperdown and Bell Park in the local Geelong league, in addition to his role in Geelong's rise - a journey that would appeal to the competition's least successful club.

The Tigers would also like that Hinkley has coached his own teams at local level and, at 41, is a seasoned campaigner. His resume actually is not dissimilar to that of John ''Swooper'' Northey, one of the rare half-forward-flanker coaches, who coached successfully in the country before embarking on an AFL coaching career.

Hinkley is said to be a teaching coach and while he has a country manner, is actually pretty hard-nosed. Asked why he ought to make a senior coach, Blight said: ''First and foremost, he's a decent human being. And when I say that, he's a great family man, understands the value of all things good in life. He has a great rapport with players.''

Blight sees Hinkley's coaching career as resembling his playing days in that there has been a struggle and a series of incremental steps towards senior coaching.

Winning the Richmond job would be another small step for Ken. And a giant one for the skilful flanker.

MARKET FOR THE RICHMOND COACHING JOB
$2.40 Ken Hinkley

$2.60 Damien Hardwick

$3.50 Jade Rawlings

$5 Alan Richardson

Source: sportingbet.com.au

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/hinkley-would-give-stereotype-the-boot/2009/08/19/1250362118811.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »
With all the odds coming in favouring Hinkley and the speculation favouring his appointment it appears he would have the job.... so much for leaking information..... ::)

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 01:13:06 AM »
What I don't understand is how he could be a clear favourite before he even had his 2nd interview tonight
Makes no sense

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »
What I don't understand is how he could be a clear favourite before he even had his 2nd interview tonight
Makes no sense

Thats what I am talking about, really we would be silly to think that the inner football circle doesn't know what is going on.

"Rucks:

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 07:17:12 AM »
Agree Infamy

I have to say I am absolutely baffled as to why Hinkley is favourite when he hasn't had his 2nd interview yet  ???

If he had that 2nd interview not a problem but he hasn't so it seems strange...no.... actually it seems likes the media is grasping again
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 08:19:38 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if it was something as stupid as that video and few recent articles on him on the Herald Scum website which got a few punters interested
People saw his odds drop quickly and jumped on thinking there was some sort of inside info, in turn dropping the odds even further creating a cycle drawing punters in
I don't think they allow big bets on coaching appointments as they really can be affected by inside info
If you played your cards right at varying times throughout the process you could have got all 4 candidates at really good odds where you couldn't lose no matter what the outcome

Jackstar is back

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »
With all the odds coming in favouring Hinkley and the speculation favouring his appointment it appears he would have the job.... so much for leaking information..... ::)

RFC= The Titanic