Author Topic: Patrick Bowden  (Read 3735 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Patrick Bowden
« on: October 09, 2004, 04:12:26 AM »
Is it possible to get out-of-contract Patrick Bowden into the National draft and pick him up under the F/S rule using our pick #36?

I didn't think so but SEN yesterday didn't give a definite answer when someone brought it up. That would then still leave us with our PSD pick to get say a Salopek.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Patrick Bowden
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 10:36:55 AM »
Is it possible to get out-of-contract Patrick Bowden into the National draft and pick him up under the F/S rule using our pick #36?

No we cant MT - it is the PSD or nothing.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 10:41:44 AM »
I thought they said no, we couldn't pick him up - shame!
I heard that convo and they also said Richmond couldn't go for a good player because of salary cap restrictions - but Greg knocked that theory on the head by saying it wasn't salary cap but budgetary reasons they wouldn't go for a player - but they may reconsider their position :-)
Who's better?  Gilbee or Bowden

Bulluss

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
Who's better?  Gilbee or Bowden

Doesnt really matter Froars,

Gilbee is contracted for next season and will be playing with the dogs.

froars

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 10:57:15 AM »
Thanks Bully - then Bowden it is  ;D

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 12:26:48 PM »

Not positive but I don't think Mike played 100 games MT, so even if it was a loop hole we couldn't use it because Patrick is not eligible for F/S. It was changed from 50 to 100 after Sean and Joel were taken under it. (And Rhett?)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 12:44:47 PM »

Not positive but I don't think Mike played 100 games MT, so even if it was a loop hole we couldn't use it because Patrick is not eligible for F/S. It was changed from 50 to 100 after Sean and Joel were taken under it. (And Rhett?)

Quite tight FF he only played 57 - Sean played for us, Rhett played for Port Melbourne.

Bulluss

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 01:01:42 PM »
Still unable to get him either way.

Can only be taken under father son when he is first drafted. If the club doesnt take the option when they are first eligible then they miss out.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 04:11:50 PM »

I didn't think so but SEN yesterday didn't give a definite answer when someone brought it up. That would then still leave us with our PSD pick to get say a Salopek.

Why is there a need to pick him under the f/s rule.  We could get him to nominate for the NATIONAL draft, put a price on his head and take him at 36 anyway (exactly the same as what we did with Morrison last year.

Bulldogs would have to agree to delist him though.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 04:46:09 PM »

Why is there a need to pick him under the f/s rule.  We could get him to nominate for the NATIONAL draft, put a price on his head and take him at 36 anyway (exactly the same as what we did with Morrison last year.

Bulldogs would have to agree to delist him though.

Too risky, someone else would grab him for sure.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 06:13:05 PM »
Bowden points Patrick at Punt Road
4:00:26 PM Sat 9 October, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

2004 Jack Dyer Medallist Joel Bowden is optimistic Richmond can secure his uncontracted younger brother Patrick via this year's pre-season draft, which will be held on December 14.

Bowden, who is set to represent Australia for the second time in the upcoming international rules series against Ireland, said there was a 'chance' Patrick, who has played 42 matches for the Western Bulldogs since 2001 could land at Punt Rd.

"It depends. It's up to the footy club. It'd be great for my family. It'd be great to have the two brothers playing at one club. That'd be really good and I think a lot of Richmond supporters would be happy at that," Bowden said, who was at the Australian camp at Lexus Centre on Saturday.

"I've spoken to a few (supporters) in the last few weeks and coming up to the trade, they've been saying - 'Are Richmond looking at Patrick?' and I'm saying - 'I'm not sure, it's up to them, it's not up to me', but they say - 'He should be playing at Richmond'.

"Because I'm there and my father played and my other brother played (at Richmond), there are a lot of tribal Richmond supporters who would like to see him there and that's good.

"If he makes the decision to move across, it'll be greeted with a bit of joy and a bit of happiness, instead of sometimes (when) people get traded and they go to a club that's (got) big expectations or there's large sums of money involved.

"In this case, there are not large sums of money involved (and) it's not a deal where he's walking out on a club.

"Whatever happens, I think if he plays at the Bulldogs next year, he's certainly going to be good player for them and be happy to play there, but if he was to come to Richmond, I'd be very happy and I don't think be any bad blood or any bad sentiment against him."

Bowden said the Tigers acquisition of former Fremantle ruckman/forward Troy Simmonds via the trading period meant that it helped his brother's cause to be picked up by Richmond in the December draft.

"If Richmond does decide to go that way, which I hope they do, but it's up to them, he's an option for their first pick (in the pre-season draft)," Bowden said.

It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Bowdens may unite at Punt Rd
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 01:57:24 AM »
Bowdens may unite at Punt Rd
By Peter Ker
October 10, 2004

The chances of out-of-contract Bulldog Patrick Bowden joining Richmond have soared in the past 48 hours, but brother Joel won't be pressuring the club to make it happen.

A Bowden family reunion at Richmond became a distinct possibility on Friday when the Tigers finally secured a trade for Fremantle ruckman Troy Simmonds.

That trade meant the club was free to use its first pre-season draft pick on another uncontracted player and Patrick has emerged as a likely target should the Bulldogs fail to strike a new deal with the 23-year-old.

"It would be great for my family, it would be great to have the two brothers playing at the one club," Joel said.

"I'm there and my father played and my other brother played (there), so there's a lot of tribal Richmond supporters who would like to see him there. And that's good because, if he makes the decision to come across, then it would be greeted with a bit of joy and a bit of happiness . . . it's not a deal where he is walking out on the club or anything like that."

Richmond's ability to fit an uncontracted player under the salary cap also will be a factor, though the departure of Brad Ottens may have helped in that department.

Joel said he did not know what his brother's plans were and would not be trying to influence the club's decision.

"If he plays at the Bulldogs next year, he is certainly going to be a good player for them and be happy to play there," he said. "If he wants to come to Richmond, I would be very happy. I don't think there'd be any bad blood or any bad sentiment against him."

Joel said he expected Richmond to feel like a new club when he returned from the international rules tour of Ireland.

"A change is going to be good," he said.

"I dropped in there this morning to pick up my footy boots. It has been repainted, there is only one person left from the football side of things . . . we've got a new coach, a new assistant coach . . . so it would be like going to a new club - same address and same colours, but a new club."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/09/1097261860434.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Bowdens may unite at Punt Rd
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 02:01:44 AM »
Whatever happens I hope we take the best available with all our picks whether they be the National draft or the PSD. If that's Patrick then well and good and a bonus for Joel.

"I dropped in there this morning to pick up my footy boots. It has been repainted, there is only one person left from the football side of things . . . we've got a new coach, a new assistant coach . . . so it would be like going to a new club - same address and same colours, but a new club."

Funny how Brad didn't see it that way ::). Maybe his vision was obscured by the $$$ signs.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 06:01:32 PM »
Patrick Bowden is a slightly classier Adam Houlihan. Soft as butter!

He's 23 years old and has hardly shown a thing!

I would hope there would be soething better on offer than him.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »
Agree with JohnHowardF

Patrick Bowden is slow and soft !!

Salopek is the guy I want.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?