Author Topic: Who would be the more attractive proposition to coach: Richmond or North?  (Read 8911 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rohan Connolly's thoughts on our list:

"In a nutshell, while I think the Cousins pick-up has proved well worthwhile, Richmond still lacks class, and a couple of gamebreakers. The upside is I think it is also slowly developing a quality midfield, one which hopefully Cousins can continue to influence for a couple more years."

http://blogs.theage.com.au/realfooty/archives/2009/06/live_blog_with_1.html?page=fullpage#comments

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Even if you look at our players above 23 years of age, perhaps with the expections of Cousins, Newman, Tuck and Moore, all of our structural and better players are under that age. This should be a big incentive for a new coach considering the growth these players still have remaining and the potential for improvement in the future given a better team-orientated game plan.

North is unsuccessful with a large percentage of their team in the 'prime' age bracket.  :o

Ramps

3 picks inside 20 would also provide a bit of incentive ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

And a good excuse when things aren't going to well on the field  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

And a good excuse when things aren't going to well on the field  ;D

;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Even if you look at our players above 23 years of age, perhaps with the expections of Cousins, Newman, Tuck and Moore, all of our structural and better players are under that age. This should be a big incentive for a new coach considering the growth these players still have remaining and the potential for improvement in the future given a better team-orientated game plan.

North is unsuccessful with a large percentage of their team in the 'prime' age bracket.  :o
You'd expect the Roos to lose Simpson to retirement within a year or so, Corey Jones, Harris, Power and Edwards may be close to getting the chop, and there's talk Hale may be off to GC17. Harvey may still be around for 2-3 years at least unless he cops more injuries.

I'd reckon by 2011 only Newman, Tucky and Moore will be on our list above 25y.o. That's 10 senior list spots to fill just from the current over 23s who'll disappear. We're going to have to fill these spots with kids at the draft this and next year and that's not counting anyone U24 now being chopped like JON or Cleve for example. We'll need some decent picks to fill these spots so our list improves. Relying on late picks or rookies ain't going to do it although Nahas may get promoted.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Walls was asked this question on One Week At A Time tonight and he chose North because of "their younger list"  ???

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Walls was asked this question on One Week At A Time tonight and he chose North because of "their younger list"  ???
Not certain that wallsy could bring himself to say anything good about the tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A biased North site's comparison of both clubs.....

http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/buckleys-chance/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I left, what I felt, was a more balanced view on the subject under the name of FootTragic. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses  :P

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I left, what I felt, was a more balanced view on the subject under the name of FootTragic. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses  :P

What a shame Stripes...busted.
Roo beauty must have someone on 24 hr troll watch. :lol

Try stirring up those mongrels at "Talkin Carlton" next. :thumbsup
Unleash the tornado

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Deledio, Cotchin, Rance, Tambling, Vickery, Thusfeild
Foley, Morton, Reiwoldt, Nahas, Graham,
Collins, Polo, Jackson, White, McGaune

vs.

Hansen,Wells, Ziebell, Hale, Jesse Smith, McIntosh, 
Swallow, Thomas, Lower, Campbell, Urquhart
Greenwood, Riggo, Ross, O'Keefe ??

I would have thought Richmond > North

I dunno, might be bias

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Where has this mythical shinboner spirit been this year  ???. Sheesh even we flogged them. They need to rebuild and add more talented players to their ordinary list but they can't literally afford a couple of years bottoming out at the bottom of the ladder to get them. Catch 22 for North.
Don't think they need to rebuild, just keep on developing. They have one of the youngest starting 22s in the competition. Kinda surprised they got rid of Laidley to be honest, not sure they'll have the stability to attract a quality coach, they may not exist in a few years and Laidley wouldn't have costed that much to resign.
The average age the Roos had on the weekend was 24y 201d with 1785 games combined compared to our 22y 282d with 1242 games combined. So that's 2 years and 25ish games more experience per player than us. We had 14 Tigers under 23 y.o. (18 under 24) to the Roos 8.

Here's a comparison of the lists btw. The Roos 24-28y.o. age bracket is much stronger (we have the worst 24-28y.o group in the AFL) but our U24 group is better IMO and have gained more experience.

North Melbourne

Age (current number of games)

28: Harding (123), Jones (147), Rawlings (191), Watt (154)
27: Harris (144)
26: Petrie (166), Power (117), Pratt (92)
25: Edwards (38 ), Firrito (117), Gibson (55), Hale (112)
24: McIntosh (69), Wells (130)

Richmond

Age (current number of games)

23: Jackson (59), Foley (82), Pattison (59), Raines (56), Thursfield (44)
------------------------------
22: Deledio (96), Graham (10), Polo (42), Thomson (28), Hughes (16), McGuane (44), Morton (40), Tambling (85), White (48)
21: Hislop (11), JON (12), Nahas# (9)
20: Collins (9), Connors (10), Edwards (37), Putt (-), Riewoldt (36), Gilligan# (-), Gourdis# (-)
19: Cotchin (19), Post (-), Rance (8 ), Vickery (1), Browne# (1)

Oldies: 5
Prime: 14 + 1 rookie
Youth: 20 + 4 rookies

Games
200+:     4
150-199:  1
100-149:  5
50-99:    9
25-49:    9
1-24:     9 + 2 rookies
0:        2 + 3 rookies

Height
200+:    [4] Putt (202), Graham (200), Vickery (200), Browne# (205)
195-199: [3] Pattison (198), Simmonds (197), Richo (197)
190-194: [10] Polak (194), Post (194), Hughes (193), Schulz (193), Rance (192), Riewoldt (192), McGuane (191), Thursfield (191), Gourdis# (193), Silvester# (191)
185-189: [13] Moore (189), Deledio (189), Tuck (189), Bowden (188), JON (188), Jackson (187), Johnson (187), Polo (187), Coughlan (186), Cotchin (185), Hislop (185), McMahon (185), Morton (185)
180-184: [9] Collins (184), Connors (184), Raines (184), Thomson (184), Newman (183), Pettifer (183), Brown (182), Edwards (180), Tambling (180)
<180:    [5] White (179), Foley (177), King (174), Gilligan# (177), Nahas# (176)

Bucks would lean towards Richmond having more to work with I would think/hope

:cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

What a shame Stripes...busted.
Roo beauty must have someone on 24 hr troll watch. :lol

Try stirring up those mongrels at "Talkin Carlton" next. :thumbsup
Slightly sprung lol

Just tell them Stripes that Richmond's side last weekend was 2 years younger and 25 games less experienced per player. Oh and Morton is only 22, Tambling 22, Collins 20. Jackson and Foley are still only 23. They are no Lids or Cotch but still a decent young core to build a side around.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd reckon that there is way more upside in the Richmond list.

Laidley was a much better development coach than Wallace. I firmly believe that the improvement in players like Jackson, Tambling and Collins is an indication that the penny may be dropping within our group. Perhaps Cousins is the reason — certainly not Wallace anyway — and not only "natural" development.