Author Topic: Who would be the more attractive proposition to coach: Richmond or North?  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Still pretty unclear , yes the side we fielded today had more young talent but they had a lot more younger players
out of the side like Ziebell ,Smith and Tarrant plus a heap more...

You can't count players that haven't played a game - there is no 'known' to base anything on and you can bet that any coach summing up the relative merits of a team will not rely on untried 'potential'.

So to compare 'reality' of the young players on both lists, of the players 23 and under that have played a game, and using the age they turn this year as the benchmark (games in brackets):

Under 20
North - Jack Ziebell (10) and Sam Wright (4).  2 players with 14 games.
Rich - Andrew Browne (1) (yes, a rookie but he will be on our list at season's end), Tyrone Vickery (4) and Trent Cotchin (23). 3 players with 28 games.

Result - we are stronger.

20 years old
North - Levi Greenwood (4) and Ben Warren (9).  2 players with 13 games.
Rich - Jayden Post (2) and Alex Rance (10).  2 players with 12 games.

Result - close (although I am very confident that our 2 will be top shelf - I'm only confident about 1 of theirs).

21 years old
North - Cruize Garlett (3), Leigh Adams (3), Todd Goldstein (9), Matt Riggio (10), Ben Ross (11), Lachlan Hansen (22), Gavin Urquhart (28) and Lindsay Thomas (48). 8 players with 134 games.
Rich - Tom Hislop (7), Andrew Collins (10), Daniel Connors (10), JON (13), Jack Riewoldt (39).  5 players with 79 games.

Result - they are stronger (but at the top end I think it is pretty even - Thomas/Urquhart vs Reiwoldt/Collins - I don't particularly rate any of the others).

22 years old
North - Liam Anthony (3), Ed Lower (32), Matt Campbell (41), Andrew Swallow (55).  4 players with 131 games.
Rich - Robin Nahas (12), Angus Graham (13), Cleve Hughes (16),  Mitch Morton (31), Shane Edwards (40), Luke McGuane (47), Matt White (49), Brett Deledio (99).  8 players with 307 games.

Result - we are much stronger.

23 years old
North - Josh Smith (5), Scott Thompson (21), Scott McMahon (44).  3 players with 70 games.
Rich - Dean Polo (45), Will Thursfield (47), Andrew Raines (56), Adam Pattison (59), Daniel Jackson (62), Richard Tambling (88).  6 players with 357 games.

Result - we are much stronger.

Overall it becomes quite obvious that North are in for a few very lean years as they have very little upcoming 'core group' to replace their older players.  We, on the other hand, have a strong 'core group' with a lot of experience already in the bank.  Chalk and cheese.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Two tribes in 2012 - Richmond vs North (Age)
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2009, 05:46:01 AM »
I'll merge this later on with the other thread about Richmond vs North lists...

Two tribes in 2012
Emma Quayle | August 9, 2009

What will the new coaches of Richmond and North Melbourne do in the first two years of their tenure? Emma Quayle assesses the challenges ahead and predicts who won't be there, who should step up and who needs to be drafted.

WHO'LL BE THE STAR?

Richmond:

Trent Cotchin, despite two interrupted seasons, has shown he could soon become Richmond's best player. If that's going to happen, in three years he should be there. Brett Deledio perhaps hasn't made the massive splash people keep wanting him to, but he is improving steadily and surely has a new level to reach. In three years, in their eighth seasons, he and Richard Tambling will be at the heart of their team's fortunes. Tyrone Vickery has only just started out, but the signs are promising and, as a strong prospect in both the ruck and the forward line, his development should play a big part in defining Richmond's fortunes from 2011.

Potential top 5 players in 2012: Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Tyrone Vickery, Richard Tambling, Jack Riewoldt.

The x-factor: Daniel Connors. An undoubted talent, the clever midfielder has not hit his straps in three years on the list, for reasons to do with both injury and attitude. Can a new coach extract that talent?

North Melbourne:

It's hard to see as many potential guns on the North list. Daniel Wells will have just turned 27 entering 2012. His response to a new coach will be interesting. Like Deledio, each year we seem to want more, more and more from him, and he could also hit a new level. Both Jack Ziebell and Liam Anthony look long-termers. But there's as much if not more to like about Gavin Urquhart. He has the pace, poise and skill to really break open some games in the next few years. You'd love to also include Jesse Smith in this list, but his body simply hasn't allowed him to express any of his talent.

Potential top 5 players in 2012: Daniel Wells, Jack Ziebell, Gavin Urquhart, Jesse Smith, Lachie Hansen

The x-factor: Hansen for various reasons has not settled into a spot in the North side and can look uncertain at times. Given a chance to nail down centre half-back and settle into the position, he could have a huge say in his team's next phase.

THE CLEAN-OUT

Richmond:

The Tigers have a few to shed. In the next couple of years – if not this year – they will farewell Joel Bowden, Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown, Ben Cousins, Matthew Richardson, Shane Tuck and Kayne Pettifer, with Kane Johnson gone already. It's hard to see Mark Coughlan or Jordan McMahon in the 2012 line-up, while the likes of Cleve Hughes, Adam Thomson, Graham Polak, Jay Schulz and Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls have played minimal parts this year and will find themselves part of the turnover at some stage. Can Dean Polo, Adam Pattison, Angus Graham, Jake King and Tom Hislop survive the emergence of others? Timing may help some of them get another one, two or three years on the list. With the Gold Coast pushing other clubs down the draft order in the next two seasons, it will be interesting to see how much change Richmond makes at once.

North Melbourne:

Adam Simpson's gone. Brent Harvey will be 34 in 2012, but could possibly still be playing. Brady Rawlings will be 31 – will he still be there? Daniel Pratt will be 30 – will he be too banged up by then to still be playing? How about Drew Petrie? He'll be 29 at the start of the season. Daniel Harris, Shannon Watt and Leigh Harding will be gone, as well as Corey Jones. The likes of Leigh Adams, Aaron Edwards, Sam Power, Matt Riggio and Ed Lower will be under pressure when change comes in the next year. Ben Ross hasn't turned a promising preseason into much more this year, and there are a few kids we haven't seen yet. Will the unlucky Smith and Robbie Tarrant get themselves to the line?

STANDING TALL

Richmond:

The Tigers have a handy group of talls coming through. Jayden Post has looked promising, as has Vickery. Depending on whether Vickery ends up mostly a forward or mostly a ruckman, they could possibly do with some back-up in either of those areas. Post could legitimately play at either end and, with Luke McGuane, Alex Rance, Kelvin Moore and Will Thursfield around, could make his way there in the next year or two. The Tigers have some juggling to do. Does one of those defenders ultimately get squeezed out, or do they try to trade someone this October? At least they have the players on their list to try things.

North Melbourne:

Scott Thompson has shown enough to suggest he has a future. Grima's next 12 months will be interesting – if he's good enough, he'll be at a nice age to be holding down a key backline spot in 2012. Same for Hansen – if he's good enough, he should really be hitting his straps in 2011 and '12. Petrie will be approaching his 30s, and the club will be hoping that either the very raw but talented Nathan O'Keefe or the very talented but always injured Tarrant will be ready to replace him. In the short term, North's management of McIntosh, Hale, Petrie and the improving Goldstein will be interesting. Will one of them be eased out in the next year or two?

IN THE MIDDLE

Richmond:

Who'll be in the midfield in 2012? Cotchin, Deledio, Tambling, Nathan Foley, Daniel Jackson – definitely. Shane Edwards, Andrew Collins, Matt White, Robin Nahas, Daniel Connors, Dean Polo – should be. Tom Hislop's a maybe. It's a handy group with some real class at the top.

North Melbourne:

The core midfield group should be Wells, Ziebell, Anthony, Urquhart, Swallow. Greenwood could be in the mix too. Again, if only Smith was there already. Can Thomas push up or either Ben Warren or Warren Benjamin (who look more like forwards) pinch hit in there? North needs to find a few more midfielders in a hurry. The good news is that the top end of this year's draft is filled with ready-to-go on-ball types.

RIGHT NOW THEY NEED

Richmond:

A complicated question for the evolving Tigers . Should Browne and/or Graham cement themselves in the next year or two, Vickery could play forward. If the club isn't convinced they will, and see Vickery as their next ruckman, they'll need to get a couple of marking talls (to complement Riewoldt and Morton, as more roaming types) in. The coach's thinking will also shape Post's immediate future. The Tigers have tall defenders in abundance, but McGuane and Moore are mid-sized, and Rance needs to work on his skills and on calming himself down when he gets the ball. Some run and class down there would be nice, although Edwards, Connors and a couple of others may provide that.

North Melbourne:

Two things appear paramount – a couple of young talls to tuck away and work on, and some midfield class to start building up some on-ball depth, although surprisingly, in piecing together a 2012, gaps also bobbed up in the back half.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/two-tribes-in-2012/2009/08/08/1249350725327.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Two tribes in 2012 - Richmond vs North (Age)
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
The probables and possibles
August 9, 2009

RICHMOND in 2012

PROBABLES AND POSSIBLES
(Probables in capital letters)

B: NEWMAN, McGUANE, MOORE
HB: Rance, POST, Edwards
C: JACKSON, COTCHIN, TAMBLING
HF: White, VICKERY, Connors
F: NAHAS, RIEWOLDT, MORTON
Foll: Graham, DELEDIO, FOLEY
Interchange from: Collins, Polo, Thursfield, Hislop

NORTH MELBOURNE 2012

PROBABLES AND POSSIBLES

B: GIBSON, THOMPSON, GREENWOOD
HB: FIRRITO, HANSEN, Smith
C: URQUHART, SWALLOW, ANTHONY
HF: Wright, Tarrant, THOMAS
F: WARREN, PETRIE, CAMPBELL
Foll: MCINTOSH, ZIEBELL, WELLS
Interchange from: GOLDSTEIN, Harvey, O'Keefe, Hale, Pratt, Grima

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/the-probables-and-possibles/2009/08/08/1249350725392.html

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
I know I'm biased, but from the sound of those articles it puts Richmond a fair way in front

North are short on top line midfielders and young kpps
In 2012 their main kpps will be at the end of their careers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2009, 01:25:37 AM »
It did until yesterday's big backward step  :-\

RICHMOND in 2012

PROBABLES AND POSSIBLES

B: NEWMAN, McGUANE, MOORE
HB: Rance, POST, Edwards
C: JACKSON, COTCHIN, TAMBLING
HF: White, VICKERY, Connors
F: NAHAS, RIEWOLDT, MORTON
Foll: Graham, DELEDIO, FOLEY
Interchange from: Collins, Polo, Thursfield, Hislop
You would hope with say 5 National draft picks per year over the next 3 drafts including 3 top 5/10-ers + rookies that more class, structure and depth will be added to that side by 2012.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Who would be the more attractive proposition to coach: Richmond or North?
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:18 AM »
I guess the answer so far is Richmond as North can't find replacement assistant coaches  :wallywink

McDonald defends North as crucial roles lie vacant
Caroline Wilson | October 29, 2009

NORTH MELBOURNE football boss Donald McDonald has denied that the club was struggling to build a credible team around new senior coach Brad Scott as a result of a series of messy end-of-season assistant coaching departures.

With the club about to start pre-season training North has not yet filled the crucial midfield coaching role nor has it yet appointed its final development coach. The club has not yet negotiated a settlement with Daniel Daly, the opposition analyst.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/mcdonald-defends-north/2009/10/28/1256405425987.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »
North is already talking about finals next year  :o

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86570/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »

They officially started pre-season today and they still haven't finalised their coaching staff?!?  :o

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »

They officially started pre-season today and they still haven't finalised their coaching staff?!?  :o

How else will the sh1tboners sell memberships to all 12 of their fans. If they make the 8 its sh1tboner spirit if they don't they're rebuilding. They are so up against it with lack of staff at the moment it is really a true reflection of where this characterless footy club is on and off field.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
Does anyone else think North is sounding like we did in late 2004?

Let them finish ninth and get the rubbish picks that will stiffle any real rebuilding of their list. I'm glad we're mostly keeping our traps shut leading into the preseason.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »

I'm glad we're mostly keeping our traps shut leading into the preseason.

Yep, it makes a very pleasant change.  And Hardwick doesn't come across as someone who will have to much to say publicly so hopefully that will continue.  Having said that, at times I think we can be a bit harsh on the Wallace spin because part of his charter was to 'sell' the club after the image damage caused during the Casey/Frawley era.  I know we all eventually got sick of the spin instead of seeing positive actions but not all of it was his fault - he was paid to do what he did (among other things that he didn't do well).

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
.......at times I think we can be a bit harsh on the Wallace spin because part of his charter was to 'sell' the club after the image damage caused during the Casey/Frawley era. 
I agree but our image damage had been happening a long time before Casey/Frawley and I think it's pretty unfair to lump it just on them.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Does anyone else think North is sounding like we did in late 2004?

I don't think they have much choice

Scott has to sell the North whatever they are this coming season - every single aspect of that club

His biggest challenge is getting the members to re-sign... they had a big drop in 2009 from 2008..they'd be afraid the same will happen in 2010

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
I can't see them getting those membership loses back. Most of them were one-year sympathy memberships from opposition fans when the threat of relocating to the Gold Coast was over North's head. Another poor year or two could hurt them financially again. They barely made a profit this year and the new stadia deals aren't that great for clubs like North with their home games at Docklands compared to the MCG tenants.

Yep, it makes a very pleasant change.  And Hardwick doesn't come across as someone who will have to much to say publicly so hopefully that will continue.  Having said that, at times I think we can be a bit harsh on the Wallace spin because part of his charter was to 'sell' the club after the image damage caused during the Casey/Frawley era.  I know we all eventually got sick of the spin instead of seeing positive actions but not all of it was his fault - he was paid to do what he did (among other things that he didn't do well).
True smokey but I wasn't just meaning Plough was talking too much. March and Miller would also discuss club decisions through the media even when they should've been kept internally.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2009, 03:10:54 AM »
North getting a touch ahead of themselves?

"The talent we have available is capable of playing finals, and yes, sure, we need things to go our way, but our best side, and I can say this with confidence, can beat anyone in the competition," Brad Scott said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/single-minded-brad-scott/story-e6frf9jf-1225807908373