Author Topic: World Cup 2022 Bid [merged]  (Read 32610 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: World Cup bid launched
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
Al, world cup is always played in June/July when the major leagues of the two most powerful FIFA members of Europe and South America have the off season at their leagues generally finish in May.

Furthermore to add to that in Chile and Argentina soccer (football) is the national sport and thus there was no problem staging an event there.

In 2014 the World Cup is in Brasil as it was in 1950 MT another predominantely Southern Hemisphere nation and of course soccer mad but Sao Paolo where the final will be staged I'd say is much more North than Santiago and Buenos Aires.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
Al, world cup is always played in June/July when the major leagues of the two most powerful FIFA members of Europe and South America have the off season at their leagues generally finish in May.

Ahh the penny drops  :rollin I only take a passing interest in soccer, but should have realised that would play a part.

Cheers tucker

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
As with the Olympics and the IOC, politics within FIFA dictates what happens. The 2014 WC has gone to the Americas (Brazil host) as they hadn't hosted a WC since USA 1994. The Europeans are now wanting the 2018 bid to go to a European country because they aren't willing to accept a 16 year gap. In the past every second WC was basically held in Europe. Competing against that is FIFA's want to target non-traditional soccer markets and push the "global game" tag - USA in '94, Japan/Korea in 2002 and now South Africa next year. It's the latter that Australia is hoping on. I'm guessing we've applied for both bids in 2018 and 2022 to suck up to fat cat FIFA delegates with more $$$ and fully paid trips to Australia (did someone say corruption and buying votes :whistle ). However our best chance is going for the 2022 bid with Europe wanting 2018.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »

Furthermore to add to that in Chile and Argentina soccer (football) is the national sport and thus there was no problem staging an event there.

In 2014 the World Cup is in Brasil as it was in 1950 MT another predominantely Southern Hemisphere nation and of course soccer mad but Sao Paolo where the final will be staged I'd say is much more North than Santiago and Buenos Aires.
Yep Sao Paolo and Rio are on or above the tropic of Capricorn. Being a tropical climate I'm guessing June/July is the dry season like in Australia. Just on South American soccer they hold two comps per year now to fit in with the European season. One from Feb-May (Closing) and the other from July-Nov (Opening) or something like that. Russia also plays their season from Feb-Nov as the pitches are frozen in midwinter. They have a summer break of 6 weeks over June to mid-July. As you say Tucky every country has to follow a strict FIFA calendar to make every country's comps work in sync.

ps. I must sound like some geography freak lol. It helps when I have one of those atlas of the world mats on my desk  :wallywink.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
The insiders on the ABC just raised the possibility of the Federal Govt legislating to allow FIFAs wishes regarding the  other codes to be be honored

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
The insiders on the ABC just raised the possibility of the Federal Govt legislating to allow FIFAs wishes regarding the  other codes to be be honored
Wouldn't that be classed as a restraint of trade for the other codes?

You would hope there'd be an agreement between all codes based on goodwill and financial benefit to the country rather than heading into a legal minefield.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »

You would hope there'd be an agreement between all codes based on goodwill and financial benefit to the country rather than heading into a legal minefield.

Could very well be restraint of trade. They didn't go into the source too much. Could be an empty threat to get the other codes onside. I agree, I  think the bid would go down much better if the other codes were onside rather than forced to comply.

They also mentioned that there is talk in NSW that some clubs may fold if forced to lay off for a while. There was mixed opinion about this, but some NSW league clubs must be close to the wire as it is. There was talk of compensation for clubs from the govt, but this seemed to be just speculation from the panel rather than having any foundation. Caroline Wilson was not on today so I give things said a bit more credence.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »

Could very well be restraint of trade. They didn't go into the source too much. Could be an empty threat to get the other codes onside. I agree, I  think the bid would go down much better if the other codes were onside rather than forced to comply.

They also mentioned that there is talk in NSW that some clubs may fold if forced to lay off for a while. There was mixed opinion about this, but some NSW league clubs must be close to the wire as it is. There was talk of compensation for clubs from the govt, but this seemed to be just speculation from the panel rather than having any foundation. Caroline Wilson was not on today so I give things said a bit more credence.
You're right it's all just speculation at the moment. I even heard today a news report saying that Melbourne would miss out on the WC semi-finals and final. Now that I can't believe even with a Sydney-centric FFA.

The AFL should target funding for upgrading stadiums and building new ovals as compensation. A World Cup in Australia will come and go but new infrastructure will last 20-30 years. Subiaco and Footy Park need a total makeover as they are very 70s/80s. A new 3rd stadium in Melbourne for AFL would be very handy as well.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
A new 3rd stadium in Melbourne for AFL would be very handy as well.
, Might be handy, but cant see it happening, particularly with the new rectangular ground  stadium being built .
Wasn't there talk of getting princess park up to scratch?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »
A new 3rd stadium in Melbourne for AFL would be very handy as well.
, Might be handy, but cant see it happening, particularly with the new rectangular ground  stadium being built .
Wasn't there talk of getting princess park up to scratch?
Yeah there was but gawd I hope not. Too small and a pain in the neck to get to. Also being Carlton there's plenty of shocking memories from watching footy there in the VFL days  :help. The other alternative mentioned was the K? site in North Melbourne to the west of the railway station and just north of the Docklands. I think the old Junction Oval was thrown up as a possibility but it would need a major redevelopment and $$$ to bring it up to scratch.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL seeks World Cup disruption compensation / Punt Rd for soccer training (Age)
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »
AFL seeks compensation for World Cup disruption
Caroline Wilson | November 20, 2009

BATTLE lines are being drawn between the AFL and its greatest threat - soccer - over Australia's bid to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick held crisis talks yesterday with the 16 clubs in which he outlined how a successful bid by Football Federation Australia could hurt the home-and-away season.

The clubs have also been made aware of the detrimental long-term impact upon memberships, corporate support and TV ratings.

Fitzpatrick and AFL executive Gillon McLachlan also revealed to club presidents and chief executives key elements of the league's strategy to seek some compromises from the world game's governing body FIFA and also ensure the competition was given adequate compensation.

The AFL will hold talks not only with Australian soccer chiefs but also the Federal Government, fearful of the impact on the competition should it be forced to move games from every Australian mainland capital city for up to 10 weeks in the middle of the 2018 or 2022 seasons.

The Age understands that all those who attended yesterday's talks were told not to speak publicly about the AFL's plans. Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon, who could not attend, said last night: ''Why would you give a free handpass to your biggest competitor? You would want some adequate compensation.''

The clubs were told that the AFL, having only just received full details of the FIFA demands, have until December 10 to seek a number of compromises and assurances of multimillion-dollar compensation from the Federal Government. Despite grave concerns from clubs and their governing body the view was that the AFL would not attempt to block the bid.

With the World Cup final held every four years around the middle of July, Fitzpatrick told clubs that the season would be severely affected for a total of 10 weeks with five weeks of competition, the four-week build-up preceding that and one subsequent week for the FIFA World Cup caravan to move out of the key venues. The final would be held at the MCG or Homebush.

The AFL has looked at starting the season significantly earlier and ending it in late October with the view that there would be little point in holding blockbuster games anywhere in the country while the World Cup was being contested. In 2000 the season ended three weeks early to fit in with the Sydney Olympics.

Under FIFA's guidelines the only AFL venues available during the five weeks of World Cup competition over June and July would be Launceston's Aurora Stadium, Darwin's Tio Stadium and Skilled Stadium in Geelong. By 2018 the AFL competition will involve nine games each week.

As Fitzpatrick understood it, the MCG and Etihad Stadium would be unavailable during the World Cup and no other Melbourne venue could host AFL games.

Under FIFA regulations no major competitions can take place in any city hosting World Cup matches for the duration of the tournament. Grounds being used for matches have to be clean of all existing advertising and not used for the four weeks leading up to the competition matches.

Although the AFL is pushing for a number of compromises, key soccer sources told The Age that FIFA would not relax any guidelines.

The National Rugby League was also this week planning to fight some of the FIFA rules.

The Federal Government has pledged to build $2 billion worth of infrastructure should Australia win the World Cup bid against daunting opposition.

In Melbourne's case, World Cup games would be held at Etihad Stadium and the MCG. In Sydney, it would be ANZ Stadium and Sydney Football Stadium, with major venues in Brisbane, Adelaide, Newcastle, the Gold Coast, Canberra and Perth also used.

Fitzpatrick told clubs yesterday that the AFL would struggle under current guidelines to host matches in the four weeks leading up to the main competition as other non-matchday venues would be designated as FIFA training grounds and could not be used for Australian football or league matches during that period.

This could include venues such as Victoria Park, Visy Park and the Punt Road Oval.

Effectively, soccer's rival codes would have to shut down for up to 10 weeks, or move the bulk of their competitions to regional areas.

Although Australia's bid document has a deadline of May 2010, the Federal Government must sign off on the terms and conditions of the bid by December 10.

By the May deadline the FFA must submit its final document on match venues, stadiums and infrastructure to FIFA.

The FIFA executive will choose which countries will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups at a meeting in Switzerland in December 2010.

FFA chief Ben Buckley, formerly Andrew Demetriou's No. 2 at the AFL, has been optimistic that the two codes can reach agreement and has pointed to significant upgrades to be undertaken at Subiaco, the Adelaide Oval - expected to become an AFL venue - and Carrara on the Gold Coast should Australia win the right to host the World Cup.

Demetriou has been on paternity leave.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/afl-seeks-compensation/2009/11/19/1258219924147.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Fitzpatrick told clubs yesterday that the AFL would struggle under current guidelines to host matches in the four weeks leading up to the main competition as other non-matchday venues would be designated as FIFA training grounds and could not be used for Australian football or league matches during that period.

This could include venues such as Victoria Park, Visy Park and the Punt Road Oval.

I hope the RFC makes a good quid out of this if Punt Rd is used.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL fuming over soccer World Cup demands (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 02:29:17 AM »
AFL fuming over soccer World Cup demands

* Michael Warner
    * December 07, 2009

FOOTBALL warfare has broken out over Australia's bid to host the soccer World Cup, with fears the MCG could be declared an "AFL-free zone" for an entire home-and-away season.

Soccer's ruling body, Football Federation Australia, has told the MCG it will require a $130 million taxpayer-funded overhaul to install rectangular seating in readiness for the world's biggest sporting event in 2018 or 2022.

Construction and removal of the temporary stands could take up to four months, potentially leaving the stadium without any AFL games until the finals.

Matches banished would include the showpiece Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Footy fans will instead be forced to travel to games in regional cities or interstate venues including Launceston and Darwin.

Angry AFL chiefs, who were not told of the proposed MCG overhaul during recent discussions, are growing more agitated by what they say is a lack of transparency by the FFA and FIFA - soccer's international governing body.

The World Cup bid will also affect the National Rugby League competition and its State-of-Origin series.

"All sports have said they will support the bid for the World Cup, but it's hard when FIFA and Australian soccer officials show no respect," a high-level source said.

"While they are happy to fly around the world and brief FIFA delegates, they appear unwilling to tell anyone in Australia what is really going to happen. They have deliberately kept us in the dark."

In another twist to the footy fight, Etihad Stadium chief Ian Collins is believed to have written to FFA rejecting World Cup matches at the Docklands venue.

But the FFA believes it has the option of seeking government intervention to seize temporary control of the privately owned stadium.

The Brumby Government has final say over any works or disputes involving the MCG.

The Premier will come under pressure from the Rudd Government, which has pledged $2 billion worth of support to the World Cup bid.

Under strict FIFA rules, all venues must be quarantined for a month beforehand and major rival sporting events must be halted during the month-long tournament.

The AFL is believed to be willing to start the 2018 or 2022 footy season early, and move some games to other venues, but will not accept FIFA's instruction to close down competition throughout the World Cup action.

Frustrated AFL chief Andrew Demetriou at the weekend spoke out about being kept in the dark over the World Cup bid.

"The AFL is still waiting for the FFA to tell us what would be required of our competition," he said.

"We have seen the FFA quoted in a number of different media reports on what may occur, but it's extremely disappointing we have still had no direct information.

"The AFL has a history of working with major events to accommodate them around our match fixturing, such as the recent (2006) Commonwealth Games and the 2000 Olympics.

"So we are seeking definitive information from the FFA to see what planning may be required for us."

The FIFA exclusion period applies only to cities hosting games, meaning AFL matches could still be played in other locations.

FFA wants use of the MCG, Etihad Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium, ANZ Stadium, Adelaide Oval and redeveloped venues in Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville, Canberra, Parramatta and possibly Perth.

The MCG and Etihad won't make a killing on World Cup games, with all ticket sales, merchandise and broadcast profits going back to FIFA's headquarters in Switzerland.

It is unclear whether the cost of the proposed $130 million works at the MCG would be paid by national or Victorian taxpayers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/afl-fuming-over-soccer-world-cup-demands/story-e6frf7jo-1225807505412

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
There's a lot of grandstanding at the moment but the FFA need to watch out they don't turn the public against the bid by not answering other code's concerns and bowing to every FIFA demand. The Super 14 rugby won't need to shut down in South Africa next year and it is scheduled to finish at the end of May just before the World Cup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
Rugby Union/League is played on a square pitch like soccer so it won't be as difficult logistically on the stadiums its the so called rectangularsation of the stadia from AFL that FIFA and the FFA will alledge will be the most difficult.