Author Topic: Simmonds not on big money  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Simmonds not on big money
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
Tigers defend Simmonds deal
10 October 2004   Sunday Herald Sun

RICHMOND director of football Greg Miller has defended the decision to award Troy Simmonds a five-year deal. Long-term contracts have been considered taboo after several clubs found these deals hamstrung their leverage to move under the salary cap. But the Tigers, desperate to cover the loss of Brad Ottens, were able to nab Simmonds from Fremantle with the lure of security.

"The deal we put to him wasn't a great deal of money. But he was looking for that security," Miller said.

Miller said Carlton, St Kilda and the Kangaroos had chased Simmonds, who is expected to earn about $200,000 a year with the Tigers.

By travelling west to meet him, Miller said the Tigers showed how important he was to their rebuilding program under new coach Terry Wallace.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11030690%255E19742,00.html
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Simmonds not on big money
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:42:25 PM »
If Simmonds is on $200k then we are so far in front it's unbelievable, especially if Fiora was on $270k as has been suggested. Will be interesting to see if St Kilda has taken on Fiora's contract with us not paying any of it as Fwoy astutely alluded to. If we're not then GM has earned his keep on this deal alone.  :bow
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »
We'd be laughing if that's all Troy's on. I wonder if his contract is performance based and he can earn more if he wins say a B&F etc. I heard Miller yesterday on 3AW and I got the impression it wasn't that low. More like around the $300K a year mark but I could be wrong.

If the article is correct then we will easily have enough dough left over to pick up whoever we want in the PSD and still be only paying around 97% in TPP :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 06:03:25 PM »
No way would he be on anything under 300k. I just hope its nothing around 400+k

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 10:30:49 AM »
Miller said Carlton, St Kilda and the Kangaroos had chased Simmonds, who is expected to earn about $200,000 a year with the Tigers.

If this is true - BARGAIN.

If it isn't - there is no way they would pay him more than they offered - "What his name" ...Ottens ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)