Author Topic: Your Crystal Ball side for 2012/13?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Your Crystal Ball side for 2012/13?
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:44 AM »
In that Melbourne review of their football dept. and playing list they mentioned they did a rough version of the team they might field in 2012/13.

As a bit of fun crystal balling into the future, what do you think the Tigers line-up will look like in 2012/13?

As well as current Tigers who you think will survive the next 3-4 years, you can use #'s for positions you think will need to be filled from future draft picks (there's 3 drafts between now and 2012).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Your Crystal Ball side for 2012/13?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »
My guess:

B:  McGuane     Moore      Polo

HB: Tambling    Rance      #DP

C:    Post        Deledio     Collins

HF:  Riewoldt    #DP         #DP

F:    Morton       #DP         Nahas

R:    Vickery      #DP        Cotchin

Int:  Graham, Foley, Jackson, Connors

Emg (from): Browne, Edwards, Putt, White, plus the remaining draftees we pick up in the next 3 years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
My crystal ball is cloudy at best but here is my thoughts -

B:        Post              Moore         Rance

HB:       Edwards        McGuane     Tambling

C:        Cotchin         Foley        Collins

HF:          #             Riewoldt       Hislop

F:         Nahas           Vickery        Morton  

Foll:     Browne     Deledio     Jackson

Int:      Polo     White      #        #

I'm not sure whether Vickery will make it as a FF but I would love it if he did allowing big Browne an opportunity to be part of our future ruck. We desperately need a tall forward and we need it now but other than that I can't see many deficiencies. Saying that though, we are 3 and 8 so alot of improvement for the above team will need to occur.

In addition I have a feeling McGuane and possibly Raines will be traded to the Gold Coast. Foley could be another trade which would mean I would bring in Thomson who I am hoping will step into the team and carve out his place very soon.

Hislop is another hopeful selection, otherwise I may have swapped him for Post and moved Thursfield back into the backline.

A lot of water needs to go under the bridge in three years but we should see a more stable side over the next few years.

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
B     Rance      McGuane       Polo

HB    Moore       Post         Tambling

C    Edwards      Foley        Collins

HF   Morton       #DP#      Riewoldt

F      Nahas        #DP#       #DP#

R  Vickery   Deledio   Cotchin

IC: Jackson Connors  #DPs#

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »
Polo McGaune Thursfeild
Rance Post Gilligan

Tambing Cotchin White

Connors Vickery Collins
Nahas Reiwoldt Morton 

Graham Deledio Foley

Browne Edwards Jackson Tuck

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
Sydney Swans very interested in Nathan Foley ... I noticed in here that he isnt in some sdes. Sydney Swans are in big trouble, they will do what they always have, they will cough up an early pick for a player. As I said, rumours are that they are very interested in Axel - would you trade him.

On another matter, I think we need to think about what we're going to do with the defensive quartet ... would you give up 1 of Thursfield, Moore, McGuane or Rance for an early pick. There is always 1 club who will want a key type defender ... would you trade 1 of these for a 1st round pick.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
Sydney Swans very interested in Nathan Foley ... I noticed in here that he isnt in some sdes. Sydney Swans are in big trouble, they will do what they always have, they will cough up an early pick for a player. As I said, rumours are that they are very interested in Axel - would you trade him.

On another matter, I think we need to think about what we're going to do with the defensive quartet ... would you give up 1 of Thursfield, Moore, McGuane or Rance for an early pick. There is always 1 club who will want a key type defender ... would you trade 1 of these for a 1st round pick.

You left out Silvestor..... :shh

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
we wouldnt get anything for sylvestor, the only benefit from sylvestor is that if he shows that he can fill in when needed, then trading out a Thursfield would become easier.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 07:00:14 PM »

Depends what was on offer for a tall defender. At least we have some depth in that area. A top 5 pick and you'd certainly consider it.

GC17 was also rumoured to be after Foley. I would still keep him. Our midfield depth is still ordinary so too much is left to too few.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »
Jordy as Captain :lol

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »
On another matter with GC17 coming in ... what draft strategy should clubs use going forward. Should clubs try and fill holes in lists or try and become dominant in one area of the field ie. Midfield. Why I say that is that GC17 is going to get most talent over next 2 or 3 years, existing clubs will have there squads quality trimmed down in almost all areas as delistings and retirements occur...so every club is going to have issues- but what happens if for instance a club this year trys to create a dominant area- midfield for example...where it can run say 10 blokes through the middle. If we tanked this year- and ended up with 3 19 20 ... and say we traded out Axel for a pick (I use this as an example because Sydney I have been told are extremely keen on Foley) so say we trade Foley for say pick 5 or 6 - Sydney look as though they are going to finish low this year. Say we also trade out Thursfield for an early pick - would we be better off adding 3 quality midfielders with these picks and trying to pick up a key forward at pick 19 ... then another midfielder at 20 and then from that point pick for list requirements. Would adding 3 maybe 4 quality mids create the super midfield that could carry us beyond the GC17 draft destruction- or should we just pick for list requirements at the start.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »

I would not trade Rance for a 1st round pick ..

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 05:17:08 AM »

I would not trade Rance for a 1st round pick ..

I wouldnt either but Id see if someone was stupid enough to take a Thursfield or a Moore for an early pick. Rance and McGuane are the 2 definate keepers for mine.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »
On another matter with GC17 coming in ... what draft strategy should clubs use going forward. Should clubs try and fill holes in lists or try and become dominant in one area of the field ie. Midfield. Why I say that is that GC17 is going to get most talent over next 2 or 3 years, existing clubs will have there squads quality trimmed down in almost all areas as delistings and retirements occur...so every club is going to have issues- but what happens if for instance a club this year trys to create a dominant area- midfield for example...where it can run say 10 blokes through the middle. If we tanked this year- and ended up with 3 19 20 ... and say we traded out Axel for a pick (I use this as an example because Sydney I have been told are extremely keen on Foley) so say we trade Foley for say pick 5 or 6 - Sydney look as though they are going to finish low this year. Say we also trade out Thursfield for an early pick - would we be better off adding 3 quality midfielders with these picks and trying to pick up a key forward at pick 19 ... then another midfielder at 20 and then from that point pick for list requirements. Would adding 3 maybe 4 quality mids create the super midfield that could carry us beyond the GC17 draft destruction- or should we just pick for list requirements at the start.

Always go for best available with early picks Ramps. If that's mids then so be it but we would be mad to overlook a top 5 pick power key forward when we obviously need one (preferably two). Premiership sides have a quality spine. Look at the Doggies. Super midfield with 12-14 guys able to rotate through it but will they win a flag without a key forward? Doubt it.

As for GC17 they won't be getting the best talent over 2-3 years. It'll be only one year - 2010. Virtually the best of the 2010 crop will be used to supply the youth for GC17 - the eligible 17 year olds this year (who would've been 18 y.o. in the 2010 draft) plus the actual 2010 draft. Western Sydney will be allocated two drafts on the other hand - 2011 and 2012 - so they'll deny GC17 of the best kids from those drafts.

In terms of a strategy to handle the 2010-12 drafts, IMO clubs will need to trade for GC17 and WS first round picks to trade their way back into the first round so they have access still to one of the top kids. GC17 will need to find a number of mature experienced players otherwise they'll be totally non-competitive with a team of U20s. The AFL will give them 16 uncontracted players from the 16 exisiting clubs and compensate each exisiting club relative to the player lost by some magical formula. Presumably that will involve some compensatory pick. IIRC these picks will be "futures" picks so they can be held off until future drafts at the club's discretion. On top of that GC17 will need more than just those 16 uncontracted experienced players so there may still be further room in next year's trade period to gain another early pick off GC17. If we struggle next year and finish bottom 4 then we'll have still end up with a top 10 pick anyway (either pick 4, 6, 8, 10). Then you'll be trading for another early pick. 

As for Foley - he's only 23. Our current cubs won't peak until 2012-13 so by then Tucky will be 30+ y.o. Trading Foley would effectively mean in the next 3-4 years we lose 2 inside mids (3 if you count a injury-crippled Cogs  :( ). Not to mention Cuz will be retired by then also. Yes we can draft younger (inside) mids in that time but we'll be just replacing those we have rather than adding to our midfield. IMO we should be adding quality to our current mids so Foley drops down to a second tier mid rather than a starting mid. That way we build up quality and depth at the same time rather than just replacing Foley with a better mid. If we were to trade a mid I would rather trade Tucky for a decent pick because he'll be 30+ in 3-4 years time when the rest of the list is peaking. Having said that I don't see either Foley or Tucky being traded when we have so many list cloggers to offload this year and the next.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
HF: Morton - Reiwoldt - x
FF: Vickery - Post - Nahas