Author Topic: Tigers vs Roos - Eureka game  (Read 1452 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers vs Roos - Eureka game
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Tigers, Kangaroos in Eureka Game
richmondfc.com.au
Tue 14 July, 2009

Richmond and North Melbourne will clash in the second annual Eureka Game this Sunday at the MCG.

This year marks the 155th anniversary of the Eureka Rebellion of 1854, and the clubs have joined the City of Ballarat to commemorate and celebrate this significant milestone through the Eureka Game.

The anniversary commemorates those who fought to defend their rights and liberties at the Eureka Stockade on the 3rd of December 1854, where over 30 men lost their lives at Australia's only armed civil insurrection.

Mayor of the City of Ballarat Cr Judy Verlin said "The events of Eureka in 1854 defined what it is to be Australian; equality, a fair go for all and the right to have your say.

"It is very important that we create awareness of the Eureka message right across our nation, and that we celebrate the men, women and children who made a significant contribution to defending the democratic freedoms we enjoy in Australia today.

"Council believes that working with North Melbourne and Richmond to build the Eureka Game into a marquee fixture on the AFL calendar will enhance and promote the ideals that were born on the goldfields but still carry a potent meaning today - issues of human rights, freedom, democracy and national identity, fairness and a fair go for all."

The MCG has also thrown its support behind the game through a number of initiatives to promote the game and the Eureka message, including the 'Great Australian BBQ' on the concourse and spectacular pre-match entertainment.

An official launch of the game will take place on Friday morning at Ballarat Town Hall and be attended by Richmond CEO Steven Wright, North Melbourne CEO Eugene Arocca, both club's Vice Captains Nathan Foley and Drew Petrie and Tigers ambassador Kevin Sheedy.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/80608/default.aspx

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers vs Roos - Eureka game
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Tell you what, I will be yelling out Eureka if we actually win this one... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
I'll be slamming my head against the wall.

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
1st if we win this game we are nuts and 2nd we devalue the Richmond brand by being part of rubbish fake blockbusters with clubs like North. WTF ... since when has North been a serious club. We should only be doing business blockbusters with Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood and maybe Hawthorn and Hawthorn only if they continue to be a success.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
1 we don't win
2 Nth are a characterless footy club they don't have blockbusters. A Sheedy backfired initiative as it is with a crap club. Dreamtime at the G. Two Big 4 clubs and 72000 for a match in rd 9 for a team that had won 1 game and won that had won 4.

Hawthorn are not a big 4 club and never will be. In the 70's when Pies and Blues were gun sides we regularly hit non finals crowds of 80,000 yet Hawthorn were a force too and our crowds were not as high. In 2001 both clubs made the finals yet we only managed a crowd of 50-60K. Hawks are a club who wins flags but has an inferiority complex.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
I really can't believe people want to lose this game and more, geezus, what about players like Nahas, Cuz, Tuck, Jackson, McGuane etc.... that bust their gut every week for a win when their supporters are actually wanting a loss.

I am dumb founded, tanking is un-sportsmanship like, are you glad the Poms wasted time in the first Ashes Test as well???? Same principle people.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
There was a means to an end in both results WAT.

England save the game and with 4 tests to go are still at 0-0.
We'll lose a game that will manipulate our position in getting the earliest pick in choosing the best talent available come the November draft.

If England win the series and in 2012-14 Richmond win the flag it will be worth it. :thumbsup

Jackstar is back

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Certainities this week,  :gotigers

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
There was a means to an end in both results WAT.

England save the game and with 4 tests to go are still at 0-0.
We'll lose a game that will manipulate our position in getting the earliest pick in choosing the best talent available come the November draft.

If England win the series and in 2012-14 Richmond win the flag it will be worth it. :thumbsup

Won't be a fair way to win though, not like the Cat's or the Lions, or the Power did it before this tanking crap raised it ugly head.

"Rucks:

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
Meaningless game, let the Roos have it and take away their priority pick

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »
Allways want to win  :gotigers

Is it really for "The best" we lose - hmmmm? either way, I can not wish for and do not have the stomach for losers.

I can not understand how you can go to SUPPORT the tigers but hope we lose. If we do so be it, but never ever hope for it! Not in my nature.

Sorry - Not sorry  ;D

We will beat Norf, we haven't been that bad........

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »
I agree we will win this week....sadly  :'(

I am a 'loser' supporter this year because I'm sick of losing.  :o I am looking long term and this game is meaningless to me other than seeing how our young player perform.

Stripes

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »
In all honesty if we tank this year the only advantage will be an extra pick around pick 20.

Our previous pick 20s

Adam Pattison
Cleve Hughes
Shane Edwards
Traded Pick fro McMahon and Alex Rance
Jayden Post

With that history I'd me more than happy to win try and win games and try and see what formulas work and stick to them and create a winning culture. With due respect to Rance and Post I have no confidence sacrificing the last half of the year and tanking for an extra pick 20.
Go Tigers!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
It is not so much the choice but the potential for the early pick. We effectively gain an extra first round pick which is extraordinarly useful given the players we will need to replace. We want to replace the senior delistings with strong potential players are given the lack of depth in this years draft, early picks are even more important.

The player may end up as an average toiler but they may be a gem too. The probability that pick 20 is a very good player compared to pick 60 is far reduced.  Also it is our first draft choice that may be the sticking point, moving from 3 to say 8 would give us a good rather than great player IMHO.

I can see your point Pope but we have good recruiters now so past drafting is not as good an indicator as it may have been if we had the same people making the draft choices.

Stripes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »
Debut Putt, Gourdis, Gilligan pls