Author Topic: Rawlings wants to continue on as senior coach next year  (Read 2076 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rawlings wants to continue on as senior coach next year
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
SEN just reported that Jade has come out publicly to say he wants to coach next year. That he's head deep in the job now and doesn't want that to change.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rawlings wants to continue on as senior coach next year
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Here's the report on the AFL site...

Rawlings desperate to keep Richmond job
By Mic Cullen Thu 16 July, 2009

JADE Rawlings has put his hand up to coach Richmond from 2010 and he's going to chase the position as hard as he can.

Rawlings was elevated from coach of VFL affiliate Coburg to the Tigers caretaker role when Terry Wallace departed at the start of June, and while he initially refused to talk about whether he wanted the position for real, that has all changed.

With the closing date for applications passed, Rawlings now feels free to discuss his burning ambition.

"You've seen reported (on Wednesday) that Wayne (Campbell, Richmond assistant coach) has pulled out unfortunately, but I'm going for it," Rawlings told afl.com.au.

The 31-year-old laughs a lot, and you can tell it's genuine, but he's also intensely focused and motivated.

He said his initial reluctance to discuss his aspirations was because he wanted the spotlight to remain on his players.

"I just didn't want to get drawn into talking about my long-term future, when it was about the group," he said.

"One of my first comments to the group was this: while I couldn't be more proud and happy taking over the role, it's not about me. This next journey isn't about how I go as coach, it's about you guys improving, and setting yourselves up for a bit of success in the next couple of years.

"I'm very passionate about what I'd like to think I could do with this group. I'd like to think I'm establishing a rapport and chemistry and trust with these boys but it's something I'm now committing to, going through the process.

"I'm in it head deep, and I want to come out the other side as Richmond senior coach."

Never speechless, Rawlings did struggle to explain both his enjoyment of and adjustment to the last five weeks.

"I'm having an absolute ball – I couldn't be any happier being in the position I'm in at the moment," he said.

"I consider myself really fortunate, in the short time I've been a coach, to be able to be lucky enough to be an AFL coach this soon in my career.

"I'd like to think I'm doing OK and I think I've got a future in it, and my actions and the reactions of the group around me will determine where that takes me in the future.

"But I couldn't describe to you how much I love doing what I do at the moment."

Rawlings is incredibly young for an AFL coach – he's just over half the age of Kevin Sheedy and a full decade younger than Hawthorn premiership coach Alastair Clarkson – and said that was something he thought of when he took over.

"The first week it used to bob into my head quite regularly," he said.

"After the West Coast game, because it was two weeks before the next game, you'd just have moments where you're thinking, 'Gee, you're an AFL coach' and it seemed a bit overwhelming.

"But since then, those moments have decreased, I don't have as many of them, but still every now and then ... driving to the MCG on a Saturday afternoon to coach Richmond against Carlton you have these minor thoughts that, 'Gee, this is a fair old buzz for what you're about to go and do'.

"There is a realistic part of it, but it is a bit of a dream or it's an experience you didn't think you'd have at this stage."

Richmond plans to make an appointment in September.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/80750/default.aspx

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
i wouldnt be disappointed if jade stays as coach, i reckon he has alot to offer and is very underrrated
the players seem to respond to him

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »
i wouldnt be disappointed if jade stays as coach, i reckon he has alot to offer and is very underrrated

your joking right

we have lost how many under him including one pathetic performance against the Saints and the one game we won was against the Eagles.

he is too soft both as a player and as a coach and will get walked over by everyone.

we need someone who has got balls and will enforce change at our club

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
I'm in two minds about him, part of me wouldnt be totally dissapointed if he got the gig, but would still be happier if it was Hinkley, Hartwick, Scott or the 3 old dudes Malty Matthews and sheeds.
See what happens over the next few games but I just dont think he can get the Tiges anywhere special.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
This doesn't bode well for our season I believe. Rawlings will be busting a gut to prove he can be a long term senior coach and in the process stuff our chances at picking up a priority pick with 5+ wins.  :nope

I like the guy but he was chosen for the caretakers role because he had little chance of gaining the full time gig. Rawlings is young with little to no experience to speak of. Comparing him to most of the other candidates shows he is a long way off the money.

I think in the future he will make an excellent coach but the Richmond Football club is no place to 'learn on the job'. We haven't the time nor the patience. He would get eaten up.

Stripes

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:07:35 PM »
you are right it wont fair well for our tanking procedure with Rawlings busting a gut to prove his worth but it doesnt leave him with much of a choice. He is doing his best playing our pups though and that is all he can do.
who do you want as coach stripes?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
This doesn't bode well for our season I believe. Rawlings will be busting a gut to prove he can be a long term senior coach and in the process stuff our chances at picking up a priority pick with 5+ wins.  :nope

Stripes, it could work out beautifully for the pro-tankers if we do a Carlton/Ratten thing and say "son you've got the job as long as you tank for the rest of the season"   :rollin :rollin

:jump

your joking right

we have lost how many under him including one pathetic performance against the Saints and the one game we won was against the Eagles.

he is too soft both as a player and as a coach and will get walked over by everyone.

Making a lot of assumptions there Daniel  ;D ;D How do you know he is soft as a coach?

he's had no hesitation in dropping name players and making name players coming back from ijury comeback via Coburg. IIRC our previous coach wouldn't do that  :rollin :rollin

And I thought you disn't want the Club to win to many games, so what is exactly you want again  :rollin

:thumbsup  :cheers

:eyebrow :eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
you are right it wont fair well for our tanking procedure with Rawlings busting a gut to prove his worth but it doesnt leave him with much of a choice. He is doing his best playing our pups though and that is all he can do.
who do you want as coach stripes?

As long as they go through the process and pick a coach that suits the list I will be happy....but if pressed I would say Hardwick followed by Hinkley, then Scott and Bucks as an outside chance. Just my preferences based on experience levels and prefered personality/coaching type.

Your's?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »

Stripes, it could work out beautifully for the pro-tankers if we do a Carlton/Ratten thing and say "son you've got the job as long as you tank for the rest of the season"   :rollin :rollin

your joking right

Making a lot of assumptions there Daniel  ;D ;D How do you know he is soft as a coach?

he's had no hesitation in dropping name players and making name players coming back from ijury comeback via Coburg. IIRC our previous coach wouldn't do that  :rollin :rollin

And I thought you disn't want the Club to win to many games, so what is exactly you want again  :rollin

why did i know that someone would whip out that old chestnut.

i dont want us to win that much is true but that loss against the Saints was terrible. Last 2 weeks were great though :thumbsup

All im saying is that as much of a nice guy Jade he seems too soft and regarding dropping name players, you would think that instruction came from above him
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I thought Jade was doing a fine job in a care tanker taker role.This is bad news for those wanting a priority pick.

While I do like the cut of his jib.....His chances would be very slim.

For once it seems the world is our oyster.

Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
you cant please everyone, tank, win, play well , play poo
 wtf is going on

im not looking at jades win /loss record

im looking at how he is performing as a coach with teams selections/structures/ style and counter punch tactics

sure the saints pumped us, but we should have been more infront by half time, and the saints are streets ahead of us atm.

we beat the eagles easily, the score board flattered them

v the blues and the crows, they could have , maybe should have both pumped us , but jade was able to coach a the team back into the game on both occasions against better and inform sides. only our goal shooting cost us, maybe we are tanking

but u cannot judge jade on his win loss ratio this yr but on how he goes about his business and how the players respond to him

daniel u r wrong my friend
and wp is right

jade has what it takes to coach, lets see if the club has the balls to pick him

they say they want a young coach, well we have one

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
who will be the mentor.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
Love Jade's passion and enthusiasm.

Dare I say it - he doesn't seem jaded.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »

your joking right

why did i know that someone would whip out that old chestnut.

i dont want us to win that much is true but that loss against the Saints was terrible. Last 2 weeks were great though :thumbsup

All im saying is that as much of a nice guy Jade he seems too soft and regarding dropping name players, you would think that instruction came from above him
Sorry to name drop, but i know Jade, and ill tell you he has the 'balls' to make the tough decissions. Believe me!!
Do i want him to be our coach- not really sure...