Author Topic: Umpiring today  (Read 1211 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Umpiring today
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »
What an appropriate surname did ump No.6 have today. Mr Maggots .... oops... Margetts.

I didn't realise dropping and throwing the ball and head high tackles were now allowed  :banghead
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Umpiring today
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »
Yep worst display I've seen in a long time.

How was Silvester getting caught holding the ball down the Ponsford end and Edwards holding the ball when he handpassed mid tackle..

Really disappointing stuff from the whistlers.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
Yep worst display I've seen in a long time.

How was Silvester getting caught holding the ball down the Ponsford end and Edwards holding the ball when he handpassed mid tackle..

Really disappointing stuff from the whistlers.
Yep both of those were shockers. As was Nahas getting pinged for a throw by an ump that was 30m behind him and would have had no chance of knowing if it was a handpass or throw.

There seemed to be plenty of 2nd free free-kicks today. Umps missing the first free and then paying the second one to the opposition.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »
I was listening to the triple M wrap up of the game when they gave the 3-2-1 votes.  Cant remember who it was but he was adamant that the 3 votes for worst on the ground went to the umpires.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
What an appropriate surname did ump No.6 have today. Mr Maggots .... oops... Margetts.

I didn't realise dropping and throwing the ball and head high tackles were now allowed  :banghead

worst dispay for some time, they ought to be strung up for that...3 times there were red hot holding the ball, harvey getting away with Blue murder...then silvestor is paid in EXACTLY same fashion...edwards got the hball out...was shockingly inconsistent
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »
Can anyone explain to me the holding the ball rule  :help :help :help

How Silvestor got pinged in the third when they hadn't paid it all days was staggering.

Adn just before half time King tackled firstly Simpson (I'll live that one) but then number 14 I think it was who bloody well threw it and the arms flapped and it was play on  :help :help

Shouldn't we reward blokes for tackling, maybe that's why we haven't bothered so so long - we just don't get rewarded
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
Can anyone explain to me the holding the ball rule  :help :help :help

How Silvestor got pinged in the third when they hadn't paid it all days was staggering.

Adn just before half time King tackled firstly Simpson (I'll live that one) but then number 14 I think it was who bloody well threw it and the arms flapped and it was play on  :help :help

Shouldn't we reward blokes for tackling, maybe that's why we haven't bothered so so long - we just don't get rewarded

This video makes it all very clear, i just wish the umpires would watch it.

http://media.theage.com.au/afl-rules--holding-the-ball-401481.html

hope it helps WP

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 09:40:51 PM »
I can be shockingly one-eyed at times. But you know you're not imagining it when the whole stadium is booing just one shocking decision after another.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
This video makes it all very clear, i just wish the umpires would watch it.

http://media.theage.com.au/afl-rules--holding-the-ball-401481.html

hope it helps WP

Well that's how I thought it worked

I suggest the 3 pinheads from today grab a copy and sit down with Giesch & Sawers and watch it

They certainly didn't follow the guidelines today  :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »
I can be shockingly one-eyed at times. But you know you're not imagining it when the whole stadium is booing just one shocking decision after another.
The only ones who didn't have a clue what was going on out there were Huey, Duey and Luey dressed in red flapping and crossing their arms ::).

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »
The umpiring definitely orchestrated the North Melbourne comback in the third quarter and in the end damn near won it for then. It was utterly disgusting to watch, Richmond should make a formal complaint to the AFL.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
North are whinging about the umps over that last free.....

Mark that was denied at death of draw was legitimate - David Hale
Sam Edmund | July 19, 2009

DAVID Hale says the mark he took with seconds left in the extraordinary draw with Richmond was legitimate.

With the scores level and just 22 seconds remaining in a pulsating match at the MCG, Hale marked strongly in front of Tigers defender Jarrod Silvester on a slight angle inside 50m.

Hale would almost certainly have registered a score that would have capped an amazing Kangaroos comeback, but in what was the last of several controversial decisions against both sides, the umpire ruled he had tugged Silvester's jumper to get front position.

Silvester cleared the ball before the siren sounded to seal the first draw of the year. Hale felt he was unfairly denied the chance to win the Roos the game.

"Was it a mark? Obviously I thought it was a mark," Hale said.

"I haven't seen a replay, but by all reports it was a 50-50 and it didn't go our way."

Interim coach Darren Crocker thought he was about to engineer his first win in charge before the cruel reality set in.

"I just thought from that position it would take a pretty horrible kick to not at least get a score," Crocker said.

"Then obviously I flashed across to the umpire who was pulling his guernsey out for the holding on and that was it, that was where the game was done.

"He (Hale) came to me and asked me if I'd seen it and I hadn't seen it and I still haven't seen it to this point.

But you can't be relying on umpiring decisions to decide games of football."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25805297-19742,00.html

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »
What infuriated me all day long was the two completely different sets of interpretations of holding the ball that applied to Richmond and North. In the 2nd qtr Jayden Post gets pinged for holding the ball in our forward line when he's ridden face down into the ground.Then we laid two perfect tackles in quick succession at the Ponsford End that result in the ball being dropped like a hot potato, and neither is rewarded. We were lucky in that instance that Tambling was able to gather the spill and pass to Hislop for a goal.But it just went on and on like that all day. If North fans think they were hard done by because of that last decision against Hale, then they sure have some nerve.   

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:14:26 AM »
when a player is slung in a tackle for 3 or 4 secs and the ball DRIBLES out thats HTB in anyones estimation. silvestor was caught but there 3 in previous QTR precisely the same including one against Harvey, not dissimilar to one against McLeod last week...a bloody joke...honestly do they have any idea :banghead
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
I think like most Richmond supporters, umpires aren't used to seeing a Richmond side tackle.

The umpiring was disgusting yesterday.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do