Author Topic: 'Tigers needed mature heads' - Rawlings' aftermatch media conference  (Read 1373 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers needed mature heads: Rawlings
richmondfc.com.au
By Murray Belkin 6:38 PM Sun 19 July, 2009

RICHMOND lacked the maturity to put away North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday, interim coach Jade Rawlings says.

The Tigers held a commanding 42-point half-time lead but managed just two second-half goals as the Roos stormed back to force a draw.

“Youth was probably a factor – once it got tight they didn’t want to be the ones who ran hard or tried to win the game for us because they were worried about making an error,” Rawlings said.

“I think they went out after half time thinking the game was going to be played the way it ended at half time. When a team challenges them they are still unable to hang tough enough for long enough to resist that surge.”

Richmond forward Mitch Morton salvaged a draw for the Tigers, goaling with 90 seconds remaining after David Hale had given North Melbourne the lead.

“I thought we were lucky to end up with a draw, I thought they (North Melbourne) dominated for most of the third and the last,” Rawlings said.

“I was really pleased they showed a desperation to fight it out and try to win (but) to be that far up and to come away with a draw you come away pretty hollow.

“To get in a position to win after three losses against some good opposition and you don’t – It’s the flattest I’ve seen the group after the game.

“They were good enough to take their chances. We had our moments to win the game, we just couldn’t take it.”

Rawlings has one win from his five matches in charge, and is prepared to bear some short-term pain for long-term gain.

“As long as we keep on this path and improving the group and make them understand what’s going to give them sustained success, that’s our main agenda,” he said.

The Tigers will continue to hunt their fourth win of the season against an Essendon side desperate to cement a position in the top eight next Sunday afternoon at the MCG.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/80960/default.aspx

Jackstar is back

Re: 'Tigers needed mature heads' - Rawlings' aftermatch media conference
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »
Coghlan ::)
I thought I was seeing things in the last 5 minutes
There was a ball up inside D 50 and as the ball was just about to be bounced , and run off to the interchange and left his man at the stoppage, WTF
And throught his effort when Harding pushed him off the ball to goal was really weak

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
i really believe cogs is gone unfortunatley...fails to make an impact...Jordy was 20 X better...How important would have cuzz been today...no doubt the difference :help
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
There was a ball up inside D 50 and as the ball was just about to be bounced , and run off to the interchange and left his man at the stoppage, WTF
And throught his effort when Harding pushed him off the ball to goal was really weak

thank you Jack you saved me the trouble

And BTW Jade it wasn't mature heads that was needed it our leader and the other experienced blokes out there that need to show leadership. I mean kick outs to 2 on 5 contests  :banghead

I am of no doubt that if Ben Cousins was running around out there today - we would not have lost that game
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
thought today in the 2nd half was real bad, not North being good, but we being really bad.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »

with 1 min 18 left cogs won the ball, gave it to Deledio, to Jacko, to Morton, goal.

did you think anythingabout this effort was 'really weak'?

Jackstar is back

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »

with 1 min 18 left cogs won the ball, gave it to Deledio, to Jacko, to Morton, goal.

His effort where Harding kicked the goal was pee weak, REALLY WEAK

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »
I don't think we needed mature heads at all. What we needed was three umpires that weren't trying to orchestrate a result or "make a game close" I'm 100% sure this happens.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »

His effort where Harding kicked the goal was pee weak, REALLY WEAK
From what I saw it was two players running for the ball, but Harding went for the bump to get him out of the contest. You bump anyone in the side while they are sprinting and they'll fall over. Perhaps he should have seen it coming and braced himself, but then he would have lost ground and he would have been in an unfavourable position regardless. Wasn't much he could do there, either way the odds were always against him in that situation.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers, Roos treat draw as a defeat (Age)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »
Tigers, Roos treat draw as a defeat
Jake Niall | July 20, 2009

WHILE both Richmond and North Melbourne treated yesterday's draw, the first of 2009, as a flattening defeat, Tigers coach Jade Rawlings emerged from it with the view that his team is capable of pushing for a finals berth in 2010.

Rawlings and his caretaking counterpart Darren Crocker were both denied victory yesterday in a remarkable finish in which North's David Hale had a mark taken off him for interference to his opponent, Jarrod Silvester, with about 20 seconds remaining.

Richmond's Mitch Morton had scored the tying goal with just under a minute remaining, the Tigers having squandered a seven goal half-time lead. North took the lead when Leigh Harding booted its 12th goal with one minute and 20 seconds left. This was the third consecutive season in which the Tigers had drawn.

Both coaches said little about the contentious decision against Hale, who asked Crocker if he had seen the free. Overall, however, Richmond fared worse on the free kick count, and its fans were upset with holding-the-ball decisions throughout the game.

Rawlings said the Tigers viewed the game as a loss, not a draw, and suggested that extra time would be preferable to draws. But the upshot was that he believed Richmond was "improving immensely" and could push for a finals berth in 2010 — when, unless caretaker Rawlings lands the job, it will have a new coach.

"They are improving immeasurably. Where it stacks up in a final, I don't know. I don't think they'd be that far short of next year. I think that we could be an eighth, between an eighth-10, if you got a good run maybe 11-12 wins next year.

"At this stage, we're trying to put a process in place that's going to allow them to be good moving forward … But as long as we keep on this path of improving the group and making them understand what's going to give the playing group and the club sustainable success, that's our main agenda.

Rawlings said this was tantamount to a defeat, especially in view of the seven-goal lead the Tigers held after a scintillating first half in which Richard Tambling was best afield and youngsters Tyrone Vickery and Jayden Post impressed from a future perspective.

"Definitely … no doubt mate," Rawlings said, when asked if this was like a loss. "Put the effort in during the week, with your preparation physically and our own intelligence of the match committee … So you commit to a lot and then you get into a position to win after having three losses against some good opposition, and you don't. That's very, very unfortunate. And that's the flattest I've seen the group. Today they were devastated."

The Tiger coach said they had chances to ice the game — Tom Hislop, Tambling and Robin Nahas missing late shots, and Jack Riewoldt dropping a chest mark. "We had our moments to still be able to possibly impact the scoreboard . . . and win the game. Just couldn't take it."

Rawlings said extra time would be better than draws. "I think it'd be great — two minutes each way or first score. It'd be gold. I'd rather feel worse for losing, or elated for winning, than sitting here feeling nothing. It's a good idea."

Crocker concurred that a draw was like a defeat for his team, which has narrowly failed to win the last three games, including last week's loss to Hawthorn.

"It's a pretty empty feeling. But when you've been where we've been over the last three weeks with the tight finishes and been in winnable positions at some stage at each one of those games, it does, it feels like a loss, because we've let another opportunity slip."

Crocker was consoled by the second half, which almost produced what would have been North's biggest comeback victory. "The second half is the type of brand of football that we want to play, but it's inexcusable the way we played in the first half, which was just playing safe, uncompetitive football."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/both-teams-treat-draw-as-a-defeat/2009/07/19/1247941826710.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draw like horror Ashes tour, says Jade Rawlings (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:27 AM »
Draw like horror Ashes tour, says Jade Rawlings
Mark Stevens | July 19, 2009

JADE Rawlings, a self-confessed cricket tragic, could not resist comparing it to the horror Ashes tour. After watching his side blow a 43 point lead to draw with North Melbourne, Rawlings mused: "It's like the nine wickets Australia got in the Test ... you come away pretty hollow".

Rawlings said the result felt like a loss and went as far as renewing calls for extra-time to split teams level on the siren.

"I reckon it would be great ... two minutes each way or first score," Rawlings said.

"It would be gold. I would rather feel worse for losing or elated at winning than sitting there feeling nothing."

Rawlings' brother, Kangaroos midfielder Brady, perhaps summed it up best when he said only three people in the world be happy with the result – their mum, dad and sister.

Tigers' head of football Craig Cameron, the key man in the Richmond coaching appointment, watched the drama unfold in the role of "box supervisor".

And Cameron would have been thrilled with proceedings when Richmond shot out to its biggest lead of the game when Shane Edwards goaled eight minutes into the third term.

But the Tigers could not muster another goal until Mitch Morton levelled the scores with 58 seconds left.

The Tigers won the final centre clearance, but the Kangaroos won the ball and surged forward, ending in what seemed like a legal chest mark to David Hale 45m out.

But Hale, who had forced his way to the front of opponent Jarrod Silvester, was penalised for holding.

"I thought we were gone," Rawlings said of the final telling play.

"I really admired Silvester, who had been terrific all day against a quality player, to assume front position."

Rawlings said the free-kick was reward for courage to back himself and be proactive.

"It's got a funny way of working," Rawlings said.

Despite what appeared to be a lucky break with the Hale decision, Rawlings and his players were left shattered.

"You commit to it and then you get in a position to win, after having three losses against good opposition, and you don't, it's very, very unfortunate," Rawlings said.

"That's the flattest I've seen the group. Today, they were devastated.

"It is unfair for our supporters and players themselves not to feel the buzz of winning. We should have won today."

The tanking conspiracy theorist will thrive on the extraordinary finish, with the Kangaroos still in contention for a priority pick and the Tigers still able to win one more, but the mood in the rooms suggested winning less than five games was a world away from everyone's thoughts.

Richmond moved the ball cleanly and swiftly in the first half, under little pressure from an inept Kangaroos outfit.

But as the tension mounted, the young Tigers became indecisive and sloppy by foot.

"I think they went out after half-time thinking the game was going to be played how it ended at half-time," Rawlings said.

Rawlings said the Tigers had dominated the first half with their ability to "run, carry and spread"

The game turned when the Roos closed down much of the run and began winning key clearances in the third term.

Rawlings said youth was a factor, declaring not enough to the inexperienced Tigers were prepared to run hard, take a risk and try and win the game.

He said it would be an important step in improving the strength and resistance of the group.

"They are improving immensely, but when a team challenges, they are still not able to hang tough enough for long enough to resist that surge and get it back on their terms," Rawlings said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25805402-19771,00.html

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
all the excuses under the sun wont cover the fact we lost after been up by more than 40 points.
shameful.

Ox

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
Rawlings is coaching sh ithose.

Worse than Wallace.

His excuses are worse.

Why cant he just say,"we were pathetic and dont know how to win - there are no positives until this list get over their
inner fears.!!!"

LMAO @ Terry being scapegoated.

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
Rawlings is coaching sh ithose.

Worse than Wallace.

His excuses are worse.

Why cant he just say,"we were pathetic and dont know how to win - there are no positives until this list get over their
inner fears.!!!"

LMAO @ Terry being scapegoated.

That's a bit harsh on the team that was out there. No Brown, no Richo, no Cousins, no Foley. On average across the team, North had 40 games and 2 years experience on us plus a height advantage, 4 more free kicks (most in 2nd half) and generally a much stronger team structure.

We had no Harvey-type leader on the field, very little experience - especially up forward. How many dropped marks or wasted inside 50's came about in the 2nd half purely because our guys got beaten by taller, more experienced backmen? Jack Riewoldt is a great mark, but there is no meat on him - without Richo and co. to take some heat when the ball goes inside 50, most times he will get double teamed and forced bodily out of the contest.