Author Topic: Tigers can challenge for finals next year: Rawlings  (Read 1356 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers can challenge for finals next year: Rawlings
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:27 AM »
Rawlings predicted the Tigers could challenge for a finals berth next year.

"I think we can be between eight and 10. Maybe 11 or 12 wins next year," Rawlings said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25805402-19771,00.html

What do we all think of our chances in 2010?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers can challenge for finals next year: Rawlings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:25:07 AM »

Right now as Malcolm Blight would say I don't give a rats toss bag  :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »

Right now as Malcolm Blight would say I don't give a rats toss bag  :'(

Either do I.
Can just see it now. Schulz full forward. McMahon on half back, Thomson on ball. :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »
I think we will build next year and there is a lot of upside to our young list. We are competing well against quality opposition with an incredibly young team (we gave up more than 1000 games worth of experience against the Roos) which means we can only get better.

A big part about any future success will be about making the young players believe in themselves and each other. If we have a simple game plan where everyone knows their role and where working for each other becomes instinctual then we will go a long way in shaking the finals next year.

At the moment we are still tinkering with our line up but players such as Bling this year show how quickly some of our younger under-performers can come on. Imagine if Polo regains his first game form? Like Bling it may be a confidence issue. What if Post suddenly puts on a bit more muscle and starts to believe he can big a big forward? What if Vickery strengens up and begins to run the pants off some of the other big lumber ruckmen?

I think our backline is showing a great deal of stability and strength. Silvester has not looked out of place and Rance is still developing.

Collins has been a find as has Nahas so the future is looking bright and this is all before we had even more quality to our list at season end.

Our list and team for that matter is almost all under 23. Surely this bodes well for not only next year but the future as a whole.

I think  Rawling is right  :gotigers

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
Sylvestor really shouldnt be on our list if we are fair dinkum about being successful. Really slow for AFL footy but thats just my opinion.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
The Big Cat seemed to have a real turn of pace on the weekend which surprized me. Maybe this perception was assisted the opponent he was playing on but regardless he is a better player than I first game him credit for. Whether he is a premiership defender is another matter entirely....

Stripes

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »
stick to the PROCESS. :rollin

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
Recent History suggests that the wheel can turn quickly

2007-3.5 wins  2008-11.5 wins.

Who knows what impact a new coach,a fit Cuz & Cotchin and dare I say Richo in the goal square would have in 2010.

Imagine if Ritchie improves again next year.

I think Jade might be right.
Unleash the tornado

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:57 AM »
If we can get a gun mid in the draft and find a key forward I would expect us to make the 8. The pressure will be off ... I think we will be ok.

Mind you one thing Ive learnt about Rawlings is that he knows how to market himself without going over the top.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
You know I am forever the optimist but after that second half think Jade should just zip it.
Did his coaching hopes no favours with that effort.

richmondrules

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
I can't believe Rawlings said the 'F' word. I know he's trying to sell his vision and show he's enthusiastic, but Jade save it for your interview. In the media STFU ... please. Considering our past history Finals talk is just embarrassing. :-[

Next time I want to hear finals and Richmond in the same sentence is when we are in them.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
I think  Rawling is right  :gotigers

Stripes

Yeah I think he is right but that doesn't mean I care

Sorry to sound like a broken record but at the moment I don't care about this footy club!

A big part about any future success will be about making the young players believe in themselves and each other. If we have a simple game plan where everyone knows their role and where working for each other becomes instinctual then we will go a long way in shaking the finals next year.
Stripes

Sorry Stripes but this is the bit I cannot get my head around.

You say about players believing in themselves and each other but you also are adamant we have to tank the rest of the year.

We lost yesterday in part because our kids don't know how to win and perhaps didn't believe enough in themselves that could win (the fact we lacked leadership is a seperate issue).  I really cannot see how believing is going to translate into wins when we just dont know how to win.

I know I harp on it but I really don't understand it as it appears on the surface to be a mssive contridiction

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
Good point RROFO - TW said finals and look where we finished up.... :whistle

Whoever coaches up next year should ignore Finals questions and run with the 'list development' line instead. ie 'Finals is not our main priority this year, it's about improving our list, our structures and game plan. When this all comes together then finals will come with it' or something like that.

Never give the media a tangable goal, deadline, target or vision that thye can use against you if it fails to come to fruition. The media love bringing up previous statements to indicate failure.

Hate those blood thursty pack of wolves  :inquisition

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
I think Jade is a quick learner. Tell the RFC people what they want to hear and maybe they will give him the job. Just like Matty Knights said to the Essendon people about making the finals and got the job over Hardwick.
It's very funny that anyone who has seen us play this year would even think about us making the finals next year. We let a team of rabble come back from 7 goals down and make us look stupid. I love people’s optimism but come on, we are pathetic. We make allowances for every thing that happens at our club, we are too young, we are developing, umpiring, whatever!
We had and still have the opportunity to get something out of this wasted year but we will stuff that up to. (Tanking) We had the chance to win one more game this year before shutting up shop but we draw and even stuff that up too.
Has to be put down as one of our worst years as a club in our recent history, i'm very disappointed but I must admit the loosing gets easier!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:05 AM »
I like Jade but he is dreaming talking about finals next year given we'll most likely have the youngest list in 2010. Actually he says 8th-10th which is a bit more disturbing. Eighth would be great because that would mean finals but stuff finishing ninth or tenth. The latter two ladder positions are no man's land for a club with a young list like ours that won't mature until 2012-13. That's why we've gone nowhere in the past. With GC17 ripping the guts out of next year's draft, our first pick wouldn't be until the late teens  :help. It'd be equivalent to having no first round pick at all in a normal draft.

Stripes

Sorry Stripes but this is the bit I cannot get my head around.

You say about players believing in themselves and each other but you also are adamant we have to tank the rest of the year.

We lost yesterday in part because our kids don't know how to win and perhaps didn't believe enough in themselves that could win (the fact we lacked leadership is a seperate issue).  I really cannot see how believing is going to translate into wins when we just dont know how to win.

I know I harp on it but I really don't understand it as it appears on the surface to be a mssive contridiction
Players don't tank WP but those off-field can manipulate the side on the ground and at the selection table to make things more difficult. Moving Richie to half-forward after half-time was an interesting move given he was best on ground at half-back and we were 7 goals up. Vickery started the 3rd quarter in the ruck instead of Gus was another interesting move. Whitey on Harvey instead of Jacko... hmmm curious! The umps helped big time too. Maybe us pro-tankers should've thanked them lol. We are also a young side and ran out of juice. Our fitness and conditioning staff have surely been scrutinized in the Club's review of our footy dept. They've been at the club since Spud was coach and we haven't played more than two quarters of decent footy all year.

Recall us playing Hawthorn in round 21, 2005. The Hawks needed one more win to lose their priority pick. They were also 7 goals up at half-time yet lost with Petts kicking the winning goal in the dying minute. While we were all jumping up and down at coming back to win, I can still remember a Hawk fan near me clapping his hands on the way out and rejoicing at how they "tanked" the second half of that game. That sort of defeat didn't do their young players at the time any harm. Just as losing 12 of 13 games in 2006 didn't either. The following year they were playing finals and then premiers in 2008.

Losing should motivate you. It should tick you off that you want to get better and better until you win and win again. It should make you hungry that when this young side matures it is payback time. It's not as though we are still playing our older players who will never get better and give up too easily because they don't have the talent nor the strong mental edge to improve. We're a young side under Rawlings who will get better and hopefully they have the talent and strong mental toughness both individually and as a team to be so peeed off that they are hungry for success and will never give up until they get it whether that is next year, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. Without putting words in Stripes mouth that's how I interpret his post. Now we also need to add to our existing young talented players because we are still deficient in areas on our list. Tanking for 3 picks in the top 20 is about the latter. Tanking is manipulated by those off-field while those on it (the players) try their guts out to win. Yep it is a contradiction.

I can actually understand you not caring WP. I'm pretty numb about the rest of the season myself. I just honestly don't see how winning games this year against bottom sides can help. How do you know you won against a side and club playing to win. How do you know you ddin't win because they let you win by tanking themselves. That's why the system is a disgrace and needs changing. It's turned the whole competition at the bottom end of the ladder into a farce. Sport is meant to be about striving to compete at all times and rewarding those who do their best and become the best. The AFL draft system with its priority picks and ease to which it can be manipulated by clubs for their own long-term self-interest at the expense of short-term is the antithesis of that  :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd