Author Topic: 1 Win.  (Read 1081 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
1 Win.
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
6 games to go.

If we win 1 more game (or even draw) we miss out on an extra pick 18ish.

Is that extra pick so much important that as fans we should attend games not wanting to win 1 more game?

As fans if we beat the hated Bombers should we be disappointed that we don't get pick 18 and 19 instead just settle with pick 18.

I hate Essendon more than I can explain and refuse to want Essendon to win just so we get a 2nd lifeline and getting recruiting right.

Maybe I'm too old school but I'm all for putting the heat on our recruiting department to get picks right rather than wanting to lose so we give the recruiters a better chance of getting it right to enable 1 or 2 failures.

I'd love my company to perform badly to enable my job to be a lot easier.

Tanking just doesn't make sense. (Unless you are Melbourne and you get an extra pick in Round 1. Which is horribly weighted and should be changed/deleted from the drafting structure)
Go Tigers!

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 1 Win.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
I'm hearing you brother! :clapping

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Watching the game yesterday I was just about over the anger that we had nuffed our seven goal lead and were about to lose. It was then that my anger turned to positive thoughts of extra draft picks. It was weird. You want your team to win so bad but then I wasnt as dissapointed all of a sudden.
The year is gone, The Tiges have shown flashes of excitment and brilliance, plenty to work with next year, but winning more games this year for the first time in my life means eff all.
Tank Tigers for the greater good!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »

The problem with that argument Pope is that as a league we no longer have free trade where we can just fix a team by going out and finding the best available people to recruit. In the past when GR was about we were reknown for pulling out the chequebook and securing the best players from where-ever we could. The system just does not allow this any longer. The only way to secure great youth today is by bottoming out.

I hate seeing us lose too Pope but I can see a little short term pain may mean a lot of long term gain but as I said in another thread I think you will have your wish - we are not tanking and will win a few more games before the year ends.

No that any of us will remember them next year..... :'(

Stripes

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »
Being the only Tiger in a group of 11 yesterday, I was wanting to win.

Supporting Richmond has made me able to cope with defeat, but when I wasn't even hanging crap on Kangaroos supporters because I was expecting the Richmond fadeout, and then cop it when Harding kicked that goal I wanted our boys to roll that busted ass team from Arden Street.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:14:55 PM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
Its very interesting to note that we are doing well with the youth that we have brought in and Coburg are not as strong as they were earlier in the season.

Whats more interesting is that we haven't got many more players to bring into the side that are young / first gamers.

Who could be brought into the side to see if they can step up - Thomson ????, Browne????, Putt ???, Gillian(sic)??? Goudis ???? , I also think we should give Connors ago as a run with Tagger to see if he has the engine to make  it and possible take the edge off the delusion that hes a Harlam Globe Trotter.

Rainsy should also come back with Cleave and possibly Polak to see if they can step up.

PS: How bad is Sarges injury

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:10 PM »

The problem with that argument Pope is that as a league we no longer have free trade where we can just fix a team by going out and finding the best available people to recruit. In the past when GR was about we were reknown for pulling out the chequebook and securing the best players from where-ever we could. The system just does not allow this any longer. The only way to secure great youth today is by bottoming out.

I hate seeing us lose too Pope but I can see a little short term pain may mean a lot of long term gain but as I said in another thread I think you will have your wish - we are not tanking and will win a few more games before the year ends.

Stripes

In theory Stripes your right. The higher the pick in theory the better the player hence the better your list will become with the higher quantity of lower picks.

It never works out like that unfortunately.

Franklin at pick 5
Higgins pick 11
Rioli Pick 7
Selwood Pick 7

All big names and from previous drafts.

Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Deledio, Goddards can't be argued to be all that much better than those guys. Cooney did win a Brownlow but if I had the choice of a Selwood or Cooney it would be a dead heat.

I think it's far more important to focus on getting the recruiting right rather then focusing on loading up on opportunities to get it right by losing every game for the rest of the year.
Go Tigers!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »

The only way to secure great youth today is by bottoming out.

And there is the myth that all the pro-tankers have fallen for.  A bit like global warming really.

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »

Stripes

In theory Stripes your right. The higher the pick in theory the better the player hence the better your list will become with the higher quantity of lower picks.

It never works out like that unfortunately.

Franklin at pick 5
Higgins pick 11
Rioli Pick 7
Selwood Pick 7

All big names and from previous drafts.

Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Deledio, Goddards can't be argued to be all that much better than those guys. Cooney did win a Brownlow but if I had the choice of a Selwood or Cooney it would be a dead heat.

I think it's far more important to focus on getting the recruiting right rather then focusing on loading up on opportunities to get it right by losing every game for the rest of the year.

it's an old argument i know but Hird was taken no. 79 in the draft. It's an extreme example but proves the point. Statistically, you get more games out of players drafted 92nd, 106th or 111th than you do at any other number!!

Recruiting on proven skill sets and footy nouse and the club's requirments OVER how highly everyone else rates them is a much smarter, long term plan - no more effin Fiora's!! :banghead