Author Topic: Tigers vs Bombers game thread  (Read 4326 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers vs Bombers game thread
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
Knighter talking about Richmond today....
By Jennifer Witham | afl.com.au

Matthew Knights agreed Sunday's clash against the 14th-placed Tigers was a danger game, and expected them to provide tough opposition after their early showing against North Melbourne on the weekend.

He also said the Bombers were planning for Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin to play after the pair missed Sunday's match with a virus.

"They were quite brilliant in the first half," he said.

"They scored 11 goals and they got plenty of run out of defence and linked up really well on the big MCG ground.

"In the first half, they looked like a very good side, and with potentially Cousins and [Nathan] Foley and Cotchin to come into that line up, you would think they'd only be strengthened.

"[Cousins] was in pretty good nick before he went out, and he seems to have snuck under people's guard because he arrived with a lot of hype early and then got injured.

"We think he'll play, so we've got him in the Richmond selected line up as of this morning. We're expecting Ben and Cotchin to come in, but we're not sure about Foley."

Knights said the Bombers were aware of the changes the Tigers had introduced since Jade Rawlings took over coaching the side five weeks ago.

"They're obviously running the ball a little bit more, but maybe a little bit of structural stuff. [Richard] Tambling and [Shane] Edwards played off half-back last week, and it gave them a lot of run out of defence," he said.

"Both their ruckmen, Tyrone Vickery and Angus Graham, spent time forward. They're getting exposure at AFL level and both played really well last week at different stages."

Knights said they had also identified the much-improved Tambling as one of the Tigers to stop after a patch of rare form.

"In the last month, his footy has been very creative, he's been getting through the lines hard, he's been damaging with his feet," he said.

"He's doing it at either end so it's full credit to him as a player. He's one of their more talented players, along with [Brett] Deledio, so those two are pretty high on our agenda to make sure they don't get away too much."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81055/default.aspx
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:43:54 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers vs Bombers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »
Tiger Knights? Not likely
By Jennifer Witham Tue 21 July, 2009

ESSENDON coach and former Richmond captain Matthew Knights doesn't expect to be approached by the Tigers as they begin the process to appoint Terry Wallace's full-time successor.

Richmond president Gary March said on Monday night's On the Couch the Tigers wouldn't hesitate to approach already-employed AFL coaches when looking for their next front man.

Knights, who played 279 games for the Tigers between 1988 and 2002, said he wasn't expecting a call from the Tigers, nor was he entertaining the idea of leaving the Bombers for a potential Punt Road job.

"[March] isn't standing behind me at the moment," he joked on Tuesday at Windy Hill.

"I played my whole career there, and obviously they're going through a really diligent process. They're going to go through the whole scenario, which I think is fantastic.

"I still keep in contact with a lot of guys down there, and past players, so there is a connection there.

"I can't worry about that too much. I'm just focused on coaching here at Essendon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81060/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers will try to match Dons' pace (RFC)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »
Tigers will try to match Dons' pace
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan Thu 23 July, 2009

SUNDAY'S clash between Richmond and Essendon is shaping as a fast and furious encounter after Jade Rawlings signalled his intent to tackle the Bombers head on.

Essendon has become known for its pace this year, which is something Richmond is trying to bring into its game, according to Rawlings.

"It's going to be a speed battle on Sunday," Rawlings said ahead of a closed session at Victoria Park on Thursday. "They're pretty quick and we think our speed is not too bad either, so it will be a good battle I would have thought - a good one to watch."

Adding to Richmond's stocks, Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin will both return for the clash after overcoming the illnesses that forced them out of last week's drawn match against North Melbourne.

While Rawlings backed his players to take on the Dons his defenders haven't been forgotten in the lead up to the game.

"I would have thought if we went all out shoot-out against them they'd have a bit better ability to win that game," he said.

"If we allowed them to just play their own style for four quarters I reckon it would be a tough gig to try and match them [for four quarters] but at the same time we are working on a pretty quick style ourselves, which I think is starting to come through."

The addition of gun duo Cousins and Cotchin is a clear signal of the Tigers intentions as the debate about the priority pick system rears its ugly head once more.

"I don't buy into the tanking thing," Rawlings said.

"Anyone who has watched us play knows that we've been in positions in just about every game … where we could have won. That [tanking] won't be happening with us."

Richmond's side is likely to be further bolstered by the return of Matthew Richardson, possibly in the next fortnight.

Rawlings said the amount of training Richardson had done meant he was not too far away from a return.

"We'll make a decision on how much he has done as to whether that [return is] at Richmond, Coburg or Coburg reserves."

Much has been made of Richmond's fade out against the Kangaroos last week, but Rawlings said his side's ability to run out a match had been unfairly questioned.

"We still found some legs in that last quarter to get back up to having a draw when we didn't look like scoring for a patch of it," he said.

"There's been other games – we ran out the last quarter against Carlton and nearly ran over the top of them and we nearly ran over the top of Adelaide.

"We've demonstrated we can run out games."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81226/default.aspx

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
Re: Tigers will try to match Dons' pace (RFC)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
Tigers will try to match Dons' pace
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan Thu 23 July, 2009

"It's going to be a speed battle on Sunday," Rawlings said ahead of a closed session at Victoria Park on Thursday. "They're pretty quick and we think our speed is not too bad either, so it will be a good battle I would have thought - a good one to watch." ........................................

Much has been made of Richmond's fade out against the Kangaroos last week, but Rawlings said his side's ability to run out a match had been unfairly questioned.

"We still found some legs in that last quarter to get back up to having a draw when we didn't look like scoring for a patch of it," he said.

"There's been other games – we ran out the last quarter against Carlton and nearly ran over the top of them and we nearly ran over the top of Adelaide.

"We've demonstrated we can run out games."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81226/default.aspx

Actually we haven't demonstrated that we can run out games - if we could, North would not have reduced a 7 goal deficit to a draw! Adelaide would not have held out in the final quarter and Carlton wouldn't have started our season so horribly.

We are quick, granted, whether its a physcial or mental thing i'm not sure but we still struggle to run games out for 4 qtrs and have done for quite some time. We've proven this all year, how many games have we blown from a winnable position because other teams simply keep running and we seem to stop dead - we nearly had Geelong but couldn't run it out!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers will try to match Dons' pace (RFC)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
Actually we haven't demonstrated that we can run out games - if we could, North would not have reduced a 7 goal deficit to a draw! Adelaide would not have held out in the final quarter and Carlton wouldn't have started our season so horribly.

We are quick, granted, whether its a physcial or mental thing i'm not sure but we still struggle to run games out for 4 qtrs and have done for quite some time. We've proven this all year, how many games have we blown from a winnable position because other teams simply keep running and we seem to stop dead - we nearly had Geelong but couldn't run it out!
I agree, but given the total experience of the side it's hardly expected
I think it was a total of 1100 games for the entire side last week, that's the total for only 4-5 senior players most weeks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers vs Bombers
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
It's going to be 14 degrees and showers on Sunday. Not really the conditions to drop our inside mids  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rich rivalry brings out the best: Newman (RFC)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
Rich rivalry brings out the best: Newman
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen Fri 24 July, 2009

FOOTBALL used to be built around rivalry – one suburb against the other, towns in the bush with a history as long as your arm.

Now, with the AFL having spread across the country, it’s more clinical - beating the opposition for the four points, getting the win.

But in rivalry round, we see some historically significant clashes, and Richmond v Essendon is one such game:  "The Battle of Windy Hill" springs to mind whenever these two meet.

The Tigers have won six of the last eight clashes between the two, although Essendon won earlier this year when they played.

Richmond skipper Chris Newsman said his side always looked forward to clashes with the Bombers, who have been coached for the past three decades by former Tigers.

“It’s always a good contest against Essendon,” he said.

“I think back to a lot of our night games and they’ve been really tight, and it’s come down to the wire.

“Hopefully it’s a little bit different (this week) – hopefully we’re up by forty points in the last quarter, but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. I think it’s going to be a really tight game.

“Essendon are a quality side, and they set the example with how they move the ball, and their speed is outstanding, so it’s going to be a really big challenge. But I think it’s one we’re really looking forward to.”

Essendon midfielder Andrew Welsh, who missed until round 12 after suffering a broken ankle in an intra-club match in early February, said playing against another "big four" club was always a thrill.

“I think coming up against your rivals, like Richmond or Collingwood or Carlton, it doesn’t matter where (they) are on the ladder, it’s always a fierce, competitive contest and that’s something that we’re going to be expecting for this week’s game,” he said.

“I think back over my career so far, and the games against Richmond and Collingwood and Carlton are the ones that really stand out, and stick in your mind, because they are so fiercely competitive, and the clubs have been around for so many years.

“You feel that extra bit proud to pull on the Essendon jumper when you’re going in against Richmond, when you think about the guys who played in those type of games before us.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81329/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny's in the pink (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 05:46:16 AM »
This isn't on the web so I scanned it in...

Brown's in the pink
By Jackie Epstein
Sunday Herald-Sun 26 JUL 2009, Page S07

RICHMOND is hopeful a late-season recall will inspire a form revival for veteran forward Nathan Brown.

The injury-prone Tiger comes back into today's line-up after 28 possessions in the VFL last weekend along with Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin.

Assistant coach Wayne Campbell said there had been a confident build-up to the MCG match against Essendon.

"(Brown's) body has let him down this year but his talent hasn't diminished,'' Campbell said.

"Hopefully he plays some good footy . . . and shows us what he's got to offer.

"We're playing some good footy. Like most young sides we haven't been able to string four quarters together, but last time we played them (Essendon) we were competitive for 2 1/2 quarters and then their run just got us in the end.

"Last week was another step in the right direction and we played some attacking footy but we were unable to keep it going for that second half.''

Campbell said the young players had impressed the coaching staff and were gaining valuable experience.

"Robin Nahas and Jayden Post have held up well (in the forward line),'' he said.

Adam Pattison was also included while Mark Coughlan, Alex Rance, Angus Graham and Shane Tuck were omitted.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers vs Bombers game thread
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
No change to either side. Teams as selected.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Ugly start. How slow are we moving the ball. We're giving our forwards no chance  :P

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »
Jacko snaps a point for our first score

1 - 8

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
Cuz is flying. 7 disposals already. Hits Jack 45m out. Goal :gotigers

7 - 8

Cotch, Polo and Postie started well too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
Newy kicks out lojng hits Jacko who finds Morton at HF. Cotch is all by himself but Morton kicks it high to a contest  :P

Newy another great pass to Patto. Patto doesn't have a shot and fluffs it  :P

We get it back again but Nahas kicks a point.

8 - 9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »
Kingy great goal  :o  :gotigers

14 - 9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
Frees: 1 - 7  ::)

Both Polo and Monfries were holding each other and the ump gives a free shot to essendon. Point thankfully.

14 - 16