Author Topic: Who on our list is competent enough to play in a premiership in 3 years time?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Wouldn't be that many, from the known quantities anyway.

Discounting first of second year players and ones that will be gone in 2 years or less we don't really have a strong base at the moment.

I'd suggest the only players capable are:

Chris Newman
Kane Johnson
Mark Coughlan
Nathan Brown
Troy Simmonds
Joel Bowden

We have a lot of work to do to be in a position to play in a premiership...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:02:22 PM by JohnF »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
You rally need to ask the question "who would be in Ports or Brisbanes current starting 22" to answer this one.

I beleive these players would -

Brown
Johnson
Simmonds
Newman
Krakour
Richo
Coughlan
Bowden
Pettifer (LMAO!)

Now, If we can only find another 14 good players for our starting 22, and another 16 for our list.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Pretty much agree with your list JohnF, which is obviously based on quality and not quantity.

Only thing I would add is that I would probably want to see what sort of season Joel has next year, before including him in that lot.  I'm a fan and we all know he has the ability, but he has to put it together for more than part of a season before he convinces anyone he deserves to be included in that sort of team.  I reckon the jury's still out as to whether he has really turned the corner and I wouldn't be including anyone who I wasn't sure I could rely on, without hesitation.

Depth is something we definitely lack at the moment, but we should be a lot better placed after the 2005 draft.

There are a few potentials in the current young list of players, but I guess you need to see how they will go over at least 2 or 3 seasons before really knowing what they are capable of and whether they will even make it.  But early signs are good with some of them, which is something at least.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if Jackson, Hartigan and Raines become part of your list at some stage in the future.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Competent now and still will be in 3 years (barring serious injury touchwood): Cogs, Brown, Johnson, Simmonds, Bowden

Competent in 3 years time: Newman, Krakouer.

Richo could still be around by then but I left him out as he'd be 32-33. Tivs could be part of a good side that feeds him plenty of footy outside on the run. The rest will either be not around or are too young to judge at this stage. IMO it most likely take more than 3 years for us to get to the level required to win a flag. Probably be 3 years before we again have a chance of making the finals. At least by that stage all our newbies will be reaching the 50-60 career games mark and we'll then have a good idea whether their early potential turns into something more substancial.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO

Only thing I would add is that I would probably want to see what sort of season Joel has next year, before including him in that lot.  I'm a fan and we all know he has the ability, but he has to put it together for more than part of a season before he convinces anyone he deserves to be included in that sort of team.  I reckon the jury's still out as to whether he has really turned the corner and I wouldn't be including anyone who I wasn't sure I could rely on, without hesitation.

Depth is something we definitely lack at the moment, but we should be a lot better placed after the 2005 draft.

There are a few potentials in the current young list of players, but I guess you need to see how they will go over at least 2 or 3 seasons before really knowing what they are capable of and whether they will even make it.  But early signs are good with some of them, which is something at least.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if Jackson, Hartigan and Raines become part of your list at some stage in the future.

Good point about Bowden TS. There really should still be a question mark over him.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
I suppose when it’s all boiled down, you could probably say the same about most players JohnF.  It’s just that Bowden’s previous two years weren’t good, so he’s still got a bit of work to do, even though we know he can cut it at the level.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

Good point about Bowden TS. There really should still be a question mark over him.

Dont worry,I've never taken it away.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
lmfaoo@waiting for Bowden's fall.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
One thing that sticks out when you look at all our lists above is the total lack of quality 20-something aged key position players. Our spine under Spud, Geischen and Beck has been systematically decimated through poor recruting that ignored drafting young talls in readiness to takeover from Richo, Gas and Kellaway when they eventually depart footy. When a strong spine is the key to winning games and winning finals, it just goes to show what damage to our list they really did and that it's going to take at least a few years to fix  >:(.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We're better off compared to this time last year (not hard) but still pretty thin. There's many young unknowns on our list though.

As for who on our 2006 list is competant enough to play in a premiership in 3 years time?

Coughlan
Brown - depends of course on how well his leg heals.
Johnson
Simmonds
J.Bowden
Tuck
Deledio
Pettifer
Richo is a maybe (age)

Gas and Kellaway would be nearing the end due to age by then so our future defence is still a worry.

PuntRdRoar

KPP are a problem for us no doubt. We should get 1 this year. We will get another next year. We need to hope like hell that Jay Schulz can become a good CHB. Adam Pattison could do something as well- who knows. Next years national draft is important...right now even though he isnt considered no 1 for Nov 2006 draft Bryce Gibbs is, if i could take any player I would take Mitchell Thorp. This year if we get someone like Clark or Hughes...that may help alleviate key concerns for a while.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
KPP are a problem for us no doubt. We should get 1 this year. We will get another next year. We need to hope like hell that Jay Schulz can become a good CHB. Adam Pattison could do something as well- who knows. Next years national draft is important...right now even though he isnt considered no 1 for Nov 2006 draft Bryce Gibbs is, if i could take any player I would take Mitchell Thorp. This year if we get someone like Clark or Hughes...that may help alleviate key concerns for a while.

Let's hope so RT.

The problem we have at the moment is we virtually need all our young potential KPPs to make it. We've delisted Archibald who was the only real tall we picked up in the 2003 so in the end we got no talls from that draft. Schulz was picked up in 2002 while Patto, Thursty in the rookie draft plus speculative kids Limbach and Mcguane were scored last year. While our collection of small and midsized players is improving nicely and steadily, our list is still way out of balance as far as young talls coming through go. We still obviously rely far too heavily on the senior talls we've had for a number of years.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
Wouldn't be that many, from the known quantities anyway.

Discounting first of second year players and ones that will be gone in 2 years or less we don't really have a strong base at the moment.

I'd suggest the only players capable are:

Chris Newman
Kane Johnson
Mark Coughlan
Nathan Brown
Troy Simmonds
Joel Bowden

We have a lot of work to do to be in a position to play in a premiership...

Hey Johno go through the Sydney Swans list and you would pick about the similar amount of players LMAO

Hall
O'loughlin
Goodes
Kennelly
O'Keefe
Schneider
Davis

Even non rated players can end up with the ultimate prize.

Looking at the swans list they dont have that many great players we would bust a gut to get on our team but the thing they did have is desire.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
In a way Punter. When there's no standout team its very possible to pinch a flag. As Sydney did.

In 3 years time Sydney will probably be in a rut.

But the team that won the premiership still had a fairly decent core though IMO.

Kirk
Hall
Barry
Kennely
Williams
Crouch
Buchanan
Goodes
O'Loughlin
Bolton
O'Keefe
Ball

Right now our core ain't that bad either.

Richo
Tuck
Bowden
Brown
Johnson
Coughlan
Gaspar
Deledio
Simmonds
Newman

The supporting players may be a tad inferior to Sydney's though.

Anyway I wouldn't be banking on pinching a flag like Sydney has. It would be great if we did it, but though its possible, it's unlikely.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:51:02 PM by JohnF »

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
Definites:
Bowden
Brown
Coughlan
Gasper?
Johnson
Kellaway?
Newman
Richardson
Simmonds
Tuck

There not kids, but are they bonified senior players?
Hall
Hyde
Knobel
Krakeour
Pettifer
Rodan
Tivendale

They are kids, they've got potential but its too early to make judgements on them:
Deledio
Foley
Gilmour
Hartigan
Jackson
Limbach
McGuane
Meyer
Moore
Pattison
Polo
Raines
Roach
Schulz
Tambling
Thursfield

I haven't included Archibald, Hilton or Morrison because of their impending delistment, and Stafford because he'll be retired by them.

I've put ? on Gasper and Kellaway as i question whether they will be playing in 3 years time.