Author Topic: Brent Hartigan  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Brent Hartigan
« on: May 18, 2004, 05:22:14 PM »
I was just wondering what Brent Hartigan has to do to get a Rising Star nomination.

He has played all eight games this year and shown a lot of character, under difficult circumstances.  What he lacks in size, he more than makes up for with his ability, footy smarts, enthusiasm and attitude.

I certainly don't begrudge any of the nominees so far, but according to the rules (and if I understand them correctly), if Brent isn't nominated by the time he plays 10 games then he'll no longer be eligible for nomination.

I’m sure a nomination isn’t too far away.  :)

The AFL Rising Star Award was instituted in 1993 to recognise and encourage talented young players in the AFL. After each round of home and away games, a player is nominated and at the end of the season a panel of experts selects the winner. The winner must be under the age of 21 at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season (as with the Brownlow Medal, players found guilty of certain offences and fined or reprimanded by the Tribunal remain eligible to win the award).

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brent Hartigan
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 05:33:57 PM »
Player Statistics - Brent Hartigan

Round   Date   vs.   K   H   P   M   HO   T   FF   FA   G   B
Round 1   26/03/2004   Collingwood   5   4   9   3   0   1   0   0   0   0
Round 2   02/04/2004   Melbourne   8   4   12   1   0   1   0   0   0   0
Round 3   12/04/2004   St Kilda   8   0   8   7   0   1   0   0   0   1
Round 4   17/04/2004   Geelong   10   3   13   2   0   2   0   1   0   1
Round 5   23/04/2004   Adelaide   13   4   17   1   0   0   1   0   1   0
Round 6   30/04/2004   Hawthorn   7   2   9   3   0   1   0   2   0   0
Round 7   09/05/2004   Sydney Swans   5   2   7   1   2   1   0   0   0   0
Round 8    15/05/2004   Western Bulldogs   4   2   6   2   0   0   0   0   0   0

I agree TS. Brent hasn't done much wrong playing every game in his first season. Even though he's dropped off slightly in the last couple of games they are still pretty good stats as well.

He'll be eligible this year but not 2005. You must have not have played more than 10 games prior to this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 07:53:35 PM »
I think one of the reason he hasn't received a nomination is because of those 4 weeks of woeful losses. Also he spen most of Saturday on the pine.

I don't begrudge any of the nominees either but I think the young bloke for Carlton (Walker) should not have been nominated after his 1st game. Maybe after 3 or 4 but not 1. It seems a bit strange.

If you apply that criteria Brent should have been nominated in round 1 for the job he did on Didak ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:43:49 PM »
I don't begrudge any of the nominees either but I think the young bloke for Carlton (Walker) should not have been nominated after his 1st game. Maybe after 3 or 4 but not 1. It seems a bit strange.

If you apply that criteria Brent should have been nominated in round 1 for the job he did on Didak ;)

I agree WP. Otherwise Marty McGrath should have been nominated after bagging 5 against the bullies last year. The first few rounds are hard to judge as then you would be basing it on a one-off game but after that the award should be for those youngsters who have shown consistency over a few games.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 12:21:52 PM »
He'll be eligible this year but not 2005. You must have not have played more than 10 games prior to this year.

Thanks for the clarification MT.  Wasn’t sure if I had interpreted things correctly.

I agree about Walker too WP and thought they went on consistency, rather than one good performance.  By all accounts though, it was a very impressive effort by Walker and it would have been hard to go past him that week.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
Hartigan a shining light
26 July, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Another round, another loss, but yet more promising signs from the Richmond youngsters.

That was the story of Sunday's 56 point loss to Melbourne at the MCG - the Tigers' ninth in succession - but a day when Brent Hartigan and Daniel Jackson in particular showed they certainly have long-term futures at Richmond.

Jackson, playing just his second game, was the Tigers' most composed defender throughout the first half while Hartigan - one of the success stories of the season - did a great job in restricting Melbourne goalsneak Peter Vardy to just four possessions and no goals, before Vardy limped off late in the third term.

It was the 14th game of a highly successful debut season for 19-year-old Hartigan, who has proved great value for Richmond this season considering he was taken as low as pick 70 in last year's national draft.

And despite the Tigers' difficult season - just four wins from 17 games and none since round eight - Hartigan has thoroughly enjoyed his debut season, which began when he played in the round one win against Collingwood in front of a huge crowd at the MCG.

"It's just an unreal experience to be at an AFL club with blokes like Nathan Brown, Matthew Richardson and Wayne Campbell beside you," he told Sportal after Sunday's fine stopping job on Vardy.

"But it's weird because it changes so much from week to week depending if you have a win or a loss."

"After the first game that was one of the best experiences of my life but now we are having a down patch but hopefully the boys will keep working hard and hopefully improve."

Hartigan admits the Tigers' young brigade - which also includes the likes of Tom Roach and Kelvin Moore - have gained invaluable experience this season - which will hold them in good stead for next year when the club will be looking to improve under a new coach.

"The club has made the decision to go with a lot of youth and there is a lot of talent down here," he said.

"And with our youth, combined with our senior players, we can look positively towards the future."

Hartigan has spent much of his debut season as a small defender but admits he would like to develop into a midfielder.

"I just knew if I got my body right I was good enough to get out there and have a crack (this season) and the fitness staff have helped me over the summer and the coach (Danny Frawley) has had a bit of faith in me," he said.

"I suppose I would like to play up on the wing and in the midfield but I will have to wait for the body to get a bit stronger and I suppose my leg speed has got to increase."

"But I just want to grow as a player and have a big pre-season and be positive running into next season."