Author Topic: Tigers keen on Mark Graham  (Read 2800 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers keen on Mark Graham
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:34:59 AM »
Tigers keen on Hawk discard Graham
22 October 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

RICHMOND has flagged interest in former Hawthorn defender Mark Graham, sent packing from Glenferrie Oval last month after 223 games.

The Tigers are in the market for up to three recycled recruits and Graham would add experience and steel to a young list.

Asked if Graham was in the frame, Richmond coach Terry Wallace said: "He'd be one we'd look at."

The Tigers have announced their intention to use late picks in the national draft – and possibly a second pick in the pre-season draft – to snare two seasoned key position players and an experienced back-up ruckman.

Mindful of the fact they have turned over a third of last season's list and many of the replacements will be first-year draftees, the Tigers are looking at ready-made reinforcements to help the next wave of youth roll through.

"We will probably pick up one or two key position types that are maybe delisted from other clubs," Wallace said. "And we probably need another ruckman."

Although the Tigers snared Fremantle ruckman Troy Simmonds during trade week, they also lost Brad Ottens.

That means they need support for Simmonds and the ageing Greg Stafford.

Cain Ackland, delisted by Port Adelaide in the wake of the Power's premiership triumph, is one ruckman available.

The Tigers are also light on for tall options in defence even though the emerging Jay Schulz looms as an exciting prospect.

Graham, 31, played 19 of 22 games for the Hawks last season – often on the opposition's most dangerous forward. His opponents included Barry Hall, Alastair Lynch and Fraser Gehrig.

Standing at a deceptively tall 190cm, he could be capable of squeezing another two years out of his career.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11148354%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers keen on Mark Graham
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 04:06:59 AM »
I know 2005 will be basically a write off and we're desperate for fill-in KPPs especially defenders but are we this desperate  :-\. Having old dodgy kicks like Graham along with Gas and A.Kellaway deep in defence isn't going to help us generate run out of the backline and as a result develop an attacking gameplan. Rather put my faith in Schulz to stand up at CHB.

Graham, Matthew Croft and Chris Lamb spring to mind as delisted/pseudo-retired defenders who may nominate for the draft.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 08:54:02 AM »
Tigers keen on Hawk discard Graham  :banghead......Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:06:43 AM »
Rather put my faith in Schulz to stand up at CHB.

Don't worry about Jay Schulz he will be at CHB and plenty of faith (and I mean PLENTY of FAITH) will be shown in him. :thumbsup ;) :thumbsup

I actaully have no problem with this because it would only be for 1 maybe 2 years and to be honest Schulz will needs experienced support around him. Under normal circumstances that role would fall to Gaspar and probalby later in 2005 this will be the case. But in the interim the most important thing for Darren Gaspar is for him to get his confidence back in his knee and ability and I think we all know he had very little confidence during 2004.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 11:20:25 AM »

I actaully have no problem with this because it would only be for 1 maybe 2 years and to be honest Schulz will needs experienced support around him.

Yep, Mark Graham is experienced as are most folks as they reach a pensionable age. :banghead
What is the point of replacing a 23 year old 190cm back with a 31 year old 190cm back?

Weller would have been quicker and is proberbly better skilled.

I have to scratch my head........... but anyway I think (hope?) it is just a rumour ::)

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:06:18 PM »
said it beautifully williampowell...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 01:20:22 PM »
What is the point of replacing a 23 year old 190cm back with a 31 year old 190cm back?

Weller would have been quicker and is proberbly better skilled.

I remember seeing Luke Weller play his first AFL game for Brisbane against the Tigers at the Gabba in 2003. He was tough, had quick hands but an average kicking style. He was also a lot leaner and moved quite well.

Fast forward to 2004 and we drafted him and I was very happy. Then I saw him in a couple of practice games and was staggered on how he had bulked up (which I usually encourage btw) but by getting bigger he got slower - alot slower.

In comparing the 2 I would think that their speed levels - Graham may come out just in front. As for skill level - I would think even.

Why replace a 23 y.o. with a 31 y.o.? Another question crops up when you ask that and it is:  is the 23y.o. going to get any better? That is the great unknown and I can honestly say I don't know.

When you look at our 2004 backline we have for experience Gaspar and Kellaway - both played with no confidence for most of the year. They need to get that back without the added burden of holding the backline together on their own - when the confidence is back they will but in the meantime ......

In 2005 - we are going to have Schulz (19), Hartigan (19), Jackson (18) and maybe Newman (22) they need experience around them.

In a perfect world I would say - don't draft any bloke over 23 and just take all kids but this is not a perfect world.

Also after hearing Tezza talk about why you need to take a couple of re-cycled players I still say I have no problem with it

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 01:24:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:33:34 PM »
What can Graham do that a Kellway, a Gaspar, a Hall, a Morrison, a PBowden or a JBowden can't.  If Graham was any good at what he does then OK.  But he is both useless and old.  I can't understand why we would even entertain the idea of recruiting him when we already have plenty of mediocre to crap key defenders.  Also he's only 190cm which doesn't really make him a big body we apparently need down back.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
What concerns me with drafting Graham is we may yet again recruit a mature age player (a very mature age one in this case) who spends most of time at RFC as a fringe player swapping b/w RFC and Coburg which in turn defeats the purpose of a selecting him to be a fill-in. I understand where Terry is coming from WP in picking up a couple of experienced players to protect the development of the kids but I doubt very much that Graham is the answer even a temporary one. IMHO his AFL career is all but over. I hope we look elsewhere.

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 05:35:19 PM »
One story I didnt see in the Herald Sun ....

In a surprising move, Hawthorn has delisted its KKP "rock of Gibraltar" Mark Graham. The powerfull marking and highly skillful defender was shocked to hear of his axing. "'Im devastated" were the only words Graham could utter when told by football guroo and all round football genius Dermot "the tipps" Brereton that he'd been axed. Brereton said "Graham was just too skillful to fit into the makeup of our side"

WTF is all I can say.  :banghead
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 01:57:32 AM »
Would rather we redraft Royce Vardy than waste two picks on a dud defender and a dud ruckman.

LMFAOOOOOOOO@Mark Graham and Ricky Mott in Richmond colours. stuff that!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 03:52:22 AM »
Our defence was so undersized this year that Vardy would have had a good chance of playing every game if he was still around :o.

In 3 short years the backline that was a major factor in getting us to a prelim in 2001 is gone - either form wise or literally.

B. Torney  Gaspar  A.Kellaway
HB. Chaffey Holland Cameron

froars

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 04:06:31 AM »
If we hadn't have been so keen to draft midgets over the last couple of years we wouldn't be in this position.
Apart from Schulz, who have we drafted.  And i would have thought with the persistant injuries to Gasper, it's even more apparent we need to draft "height" this draft.  Hope we do.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 09:48:20 AM »
Sorry but stuff height, we need the best players we can get in this draft, no more drafting to "fix" any percievede weaknesses

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »
Sorry but stuff height, we need the best players we can get in this draft, no more drafting to "fix" any percievede weaknesses

Agree HT. I'm sure with our early picks we will pick best available but as there's a few ruckman and KPP available in this draft and with the number of picks we have in the top 52 there's room to pick up talls as well as midfielders.