Author Topic: Missed captaincy chance hurts Matthew Richardson (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1615 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Missed captaincy chance hurts Matthew Richardson (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:40:57 AM »
Missed chance hurts Matthew Richardson
Matt Windley | August 03, 2009

RICHMOND veteran Matthew Richardson has revealed his disappointment at never having captained the club Richardson, who will have scans today on his injured hamstring, said he wanted the job when Kane Johnson was appointed skipper before the 2004 season.

"I think my chance was when Kane got the job," Richardson told Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan on Fox Sports.

"I put my hand up then and wanted the role, but in saying that, Kane was an outstanding captain.

"It ended up he was voted in by his peers so, yeah, that was probably the chance I thought I probably had."

The 282-game forward said perceptions of petulance had counted against him.

"I reckon the reason I never got it was because of perceived body language issues," he said.

"I needed to straighten that out earlier than what I did but I think that probably cost me in the end. As a person I am fairly emotive in the way that I express myself.

"Playing footy, that's where I get my most enjoyment, so I guess I get my most frustration there as well.

"Early in my career, and right up until probably three or four years ago, I didn't display it in the right manner and it can have a negative effect on the team.

"A lot of the time . . . people misconstrued it. A lot of the time I was more frustrated at myself than any teammates."

Richardson said he had never seriously considered retiring after a hamstring injury in Round 6, which required surgery to repair a torn tendon.

He played for Coburg on Saturday, but left the field after 10 minutes.

"I'm coming off a major surgery . . . I got out there and it just wouldn't warm up," he said yesterday.

"It was just really tight."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25873175-19742,00.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Missed captaincy chance hurts Matthew Richardson (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
Captain is just a meaningless title unless you have the strength of character, determination and vision to earn the respect and confidence of the players around you. Richo has been the spiritual leader who has an infectious sense of invincibility when he is playing well that inspires his team mates. Similiarly Cousins is both inspirational and motivational in word and deed yet neither player is captain.

I would suggest that our captain is the stable, consistent rock on which our list can always relie on whereas Richo and Cuz can be streets ahead of him in terms of onfield ability and even leadership but their history is what hurts them.

So even though Richo may have missed out on the honourific title, he been the face, heart and soul of the club for over a decade. He may be sad he never claimed the position but he will be remembered and heralded for what he has achieved and who he was for far longer than any of the captains that sat above him.

Richo and Cuz are now the true leaders of the club and I'm sure everyone understands this including Newman.

Stripes

TigerTimeII

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »
hope terry wallace dies in the most painful way
that idiot deserves the worst death possible

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

Charming.

I dont know about going so far as to suggest death, maybe having TW made to listen to your hate filled rants may be punishment enough.

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »

Oh please! How old are you, I'm sure Matthew would thank you for your support! ::)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:29:57 PM »

Charming.

I dont know about going so far as to suggest death, maybe having TW made to listen to your hate filled rants may be punishment enough.

Didnt take long for the hate mail to arrive! I think Richos card may have been marked when Spud dropped him that match against Carlton!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »
Seek some mental help would you?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »
dont need help. i hate terry with a passion, im allowed to , he is a bulshit artist and wanker
stuff him and his health, hope the uv rays stuff him over big time

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:07:23 AM »

You are a very sad little person.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

You are a very sad little person.

sorry hate to upset ya, but couldnt be happier

there is no law in life that says u have to love everyone and wish everyone the best

as for wallet, well u know what i think of that bastard, u can love him all you like, maybe u r a real skinny 12 yo looking fella, just terrys type

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »

there is no law in life that says u have to love everyone and wish everyone the best

There is a law in life that says you should show decency and respect to your fellow man regardless of their frailties and shortcomings, perceived or otherwise.  And there is a much more powerful law in life called karma - and this one works, trust me.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
X's idiocy is out in force today.  ;D
EAT EM ALIVE!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »

There is a law in life that says you should show decency and respect to your fellow man regardless of their frailties and shortcomings, perceived or otherwise.  And there is a much more powerful law in life called karma - and this one works, trust me.

yes and there is a god

and the 7 demons from hell wil strike through and burn me at the stake and take my soul

karma, yep must be right there cos karma has hit terry and stuffed up everything he touches lol

just about karma, if u believe in karma, so much, may i ask what did polak do to deserve his tram hit

if u believe in karma so much, what did all those youmg innocent victims do to deserve to die burning alive

f u and karma, karma only exists to f heads who live in fanyasy land

get back to reality

fwiw, if karma existed, i would have died painfully years ago, im proof karma does not exist lol

dont be confused with reality, accidents, freaks of nature , crimes, and karma tool

TigerTimeII

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
the rfc must have been ones nasty bastard club, karma has been effing with  the tigers for nealry 3 decades now lol

yes lets blame karma lol

wankers

the only karma i believe in is

the kama sutra

bless india!!!!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »

yes and there is a god

and the 7 demons from hell wil strike through and burn me at the stake and take my soul

karma, yep must be right there cos karma has hit terry and stuffed up everything he touches lol

just about karma, if u believe in karma, so much, may i ask what did polak do to deserve his tram hit

if u believe in karma so much, what did all those youmg innocent victims do to deserve to die burning alive

f u and karma, karma only exists to f heads who live in fanyasy land

get back to reality

fwiw, if karma existed, i would have died painfully years ago, im proof karma does not exist lol

dont be confused with reality, accidents, freaks of nature , crimes, and karma tool