Author Topic: Richo's season over  (Read 2025 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo's season over
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Hamstring rules out Richo for rest of year
By Mic Cullen Wed 05 August, 2009

RICHMOND champion Matthew Richardson's season is over, but he's already working towards 2010.

The 34-year-old had surgery on his hamstring tendon after round six and has irritated scar tissue in the muscle, although he has been cleared of any damage to the original surgery site.

Richardson made his comeback for Coburg in the VFL on Saturday, but left the field during the first quarter with tightness in the muscle and had scans at Epworth Hospital on Tuesday.

After meeting with his surgeon on Wednesday morning, the decision was made to take no risks by playing again in 2009 and to get ready for 2010.

"That's it – 2009 is over, bring on 2010," Richardson told afl.com.au.

"I knew on Saturday afternoon that I wasn't warming up the way I would have liked, but why it happened that way I have no idea. I've done a month of training where I warmed up every time, so maybe it was just a sign from the footy gods.

"If I went out and re-ruptured the hamstring and had to have more surgery on it, that would be it, you probably wouldn't come back from that, so I'm glad I haven't damaged it again, and that I did the smart thing and didn't try to push through it."

As a result of the decision, Richardson will have a minor arthroscope on his knee on Thursday, a procedure that had been planned for the post-season.

Richardson has talked to Craig Cameron, Richmond's general manager of football, about playing on next year, but understands that no decisions regarding 2010 can be made at this stage.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82093/default.aspx

FooffooValve

Richo's season over
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
Knee surgery for the big fella.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25887017-19742,00.html

AT least he's getting himself ready for another preseason.  :thumbsup

FooffooValve

Re: Richo's season over
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Sorry, deadheat. Delete mine.

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:20:05 PM »
right again, Time to pull the plug on old Richo his career is finished. 3 months rest for 10 minutes at Coburg without even being put under preasure means he is high risk & no more value to AFL football. HIGH RISK injury prone Goodbye Richo thanks for the memories

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The smart decision: Richo (RFC)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
The smart decision
By Matthew Richardson Wed 05 August, 2009

THAT'S it – 2009 is over. But roll on 2010.

Cutting to the chase, what I've done is stir up a bit of scar tissue in my hamstring and irritated it a little bit.

The good news is that the repair of the tendon was all intact, so I'm happy I did go off the ground, but frustrated in another way.

I knew on Saturday afternoon that I wasn't warming up the way I would have liked, but why it happened that way I have no idea. I've done a month of training where I warmed up every time, so maybe it was just a sign from the footy gods.

I've always said that anyone is nervous coming back from an injury, but I was looking forward to having a run around. I was disappointed that it didn't work out the way that I would have liked, but I'm also happy that I didn't stay out there and do any further damage. In the end it was a smart decision, and the scans have backed that up.

If I went out and re-ruptured the hamstring and had to have more surgery on it, that would be it. You probably wouldn't come back from that, so I'm glad I haven't damaged it again, and that I did the smart thing and didn't try to push through it.

Given that it would be pointless trying to rush back for one game this year, we just decided to leave it at that, and get fit and healthy for the start of the pre-season.

It's a bit of a mystery why I could get through all the training but not the match. It's just the nature of the beast, the game that we play.

It's just unlucky, really – I didn't even sprint during the 10 minutes I was on the ground, so it was probably just a sign that I need to step back and give it a little bit more time.

I'm obviously extremely disappointed as I was looking forward to playing a couple of games this year, but I'm optimistic and positive about getting myself right now and heading into next season.

I know people around the club are disappointed for me – I'm sure they wanted me to get through the game as much as I did but it wasn't to be.

Seeing as this season is over, I'm having an arthroscope on my knee tomorrow – that was always part of the plan at the end of the year. It's just a minor procedure, so I'm going to take the opportunity to get that done straightaway so I give myself plenty of time to be right for the pre-season.

I've spoken to Crag Cameron, the general manager of football, about next year, but nobody's in a position to be making any big statements at this stage. I'll just get this right and get myself up and going with the view to playing on next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82110/default.aspx

Jackstar is back

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »
THE DUMB DECISION.
By me.

* Why did he attempt to play when everyone at the ground could see he was "lame" in the warm.up :banghead
* Why did he play if he was booked to go for knee surgery  at the end of year.?? :banghead
* He had his knee strapped on saturday which he hasnt done for a while. The strapping indicated to me that he had "'new "' trouble with his tracking of his knee.

As Caro would say. BAD MOVE!, sorry BAD CALL
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:35:35 PM by Jackstar is back »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
As Caro would say. BAD MOVE!

I think you mean BAD CALL  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »
sorry BAD CALL

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
Why risk him since we had plans for him to go on next year.
Wrap him up in cotton wool. :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »
Its simple they want him to break so they can get rid of him without having to say Richo your injury prone we are finishing you up.
His career is over Bowden should be playing but he got shafted like Brad Hodge did in cricket

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »
Its simple they want him to break so they can get rid of him without having to say Richo your injury prone we are finishing you up.
His career is over Bowden should be playing but he got shafted like Brad Hodge did in cricket
Would you like some tissues for your issues?

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »

Would you like some tissues for your issues?

save them for yourself  ::) you will need them for the coming years as Richmond wont be playing finals for many years  :lol ;D

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »
save them for yourself  ::) you will need them for the coming years as Richmond wont be playing finals for many years  :lol ;D

Which is the same as our past even considering we had all those champion players in our team that were shafted just before they were going to get us into the finals.

Tigermonk

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
problem is we were in the finals with Frawley & 1 game off a Grand Final then the bad staff around the club nailed any faint hope of the supporters

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
So it was the bad staff around the club that made Fraudley go out and get a bunch of hack forward flankers thinking it would take us to a flag the following year? You have a twisted perception of history.