Author Topic: Find the money  (Read 2601 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Find the money
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
I know that cost is the big problem but another thing that needs to change at Tigerland is getting our own side in the VFL. We need to be fast tracking our young kids by playing them all at the highest level we can. Playing them in the Coburg two's is not good enough! There is no way that that is good for the RFC. If we are to compete with the top clubs we at least need to be giving ourselves the same oppotunities. Collingwood and Geelong have done it and look at their development compared to ours.
Find the money (2mil profit) and employ somebody who can develop our youngsters and maybe we may see some improvement in our list.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Find the money
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
i dont think thats holding us back to be frank and indeed a waste of money, much prefer to spend that 300k or so on player development coaches or more enhanced recruitment research on players
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Jackstar is back

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
I know that cost is the big problem but another thing that needs to change at Tigerland is getting our own side in the VFL. We need to be fast tracking our young kids by playing them all at the highest level we can. Playing them in the Coburg two's is not good enough! There is no way that that is good for the RFC. If we are to compete with the top clubs we at least need to be giving ourselves the same oppotunities. Collingwood and Geelong have done it and look at their development compared to ours.
Find the money (2mil profit) and employ somebody who can develop our youngsters and maybe we may see some improvement in our list.

TOTALLY AGREE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
Yes totally agree l wrote about this some weeks back. you dont draft players to play lower than level. Playing listed & rookie players in the coburg 2nds is a disgrace

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »
And play the games at Punt Road, if it can be managed line up a few as curtain raisers for games we play at the G also - Will recoup some of the cost doing that.

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
And play the games at Punt Road, if it can be managed line up a few as curtain raisers for games we play at the G also - Will recoup some of the cost doing that.

would that be great just like the old days

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »

With a brand new facility sitting out at Craigieburn that the VFL want used -  playing games at Punt Road it aint gonna happen
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »
Collingwood appears to be doing better than when they were with Willie now that they have there own VFL side.

I don't favour a step back to the "good old days" but a modern version of 1sts and 2nds is a better path to club, and cub, development, surely.

Cost is a factor but surely the "dyer-hard" supporters would be behind it. Getting the AFL and VFL to fixture Richmond home games at the G and Punt Rd together a few times each season is do-able. They do it for the handbaggers so they certainly can do it for the Tigers.

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 07:26:55 AM »

With a brand new facility sitting out at Craigieburn that the VFL want used -  playing games at Punt Road it aint gonna happen

darn WP you spoiled my moment. l was having a dream at my desk then  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »

Look Monk it would be wonderful to see it happen but it aint gonna happen

Craigieburn is where they want footy. And Craigieburn for any club if it's done the right way presents massive opportunities
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 07:35:29 AM »
They could put Coburg out there and give them a million dollars with all our delisted players & form our own VFL side  :lol :thumbsup

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:37:08 AM »
My son and I went to a Richmond-Hawthorn match in the late 90's which we thought started at 2:10. However it turned out to be a twilight match and someone told me our seconds were playing at Punt Rd. We wandered over I watched Richmond play at Punt Rd for the first time since 1963. It was amazing. Keith Greigs son was playing for the Tiges that day.

Imagine the Tiger fever if the Richmond Reserves were playing at a rejuvenated Punt Rd early in the afternoon of a AFL night match with Richmond at the MCG.

But I think you are right, Craigeburn and Coburg seem to be the way the club is going.

If we added Richmond membership numbers to Coburg membership numbers what sort of total figure do we get?

Jackstar is back

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »
Problem is this, why pay players a min payment, say $80,000 base a year and have young players play at Coburg reserves at 11.00am, where the standard is ordinary to say the least,. there lies the biggest problem

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

Look Monk it would be wonderful to see it happen but it aint gonna happen

Craigieburn is where they want footy. And Craigieburn for any club if it's done the right way presents massive opportunities
WP, if the RFC wanted this to happen it could happen! Stop being a kill joy!
Collingwood are playing games back at Victoria Park next year, i'm sure we could play at Punt Road! We need an Eddie!

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Bigtone you hit the nail on the head in that one statement

we need a Eddie  :thumbsup

March is our downfall & needs to move on.  His not the right man to lead the club  :banghead