Author Topic: Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]  (Read 46510 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Greater Western Sydney Giants [merged]
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
Here's the latest designs for the Sydney Showground oval GWS will be playing their home games at....

http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3428&start=105

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2011, 06:55:30 PM »
Narrow pockets...

But the bigger question, why are they keeping half of the existing stadium, as it would seem, on one side of the stadium?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »
Narrow pockets...

But the bigger question, why are they keeping half of the existing stadium, as it would seem, on one side of the stadium?
It's cheaper. I think the total budget is around $60m (?) with the NSW Government chucking in $45m.

The main issue for mine is will people go there as the whole Homebush precinct isn't the most popular place with Sydneysiders from what I've heard (hardly any pre-game or post-game pubs/restuarants to head to). If there wasn't that spat between the FFA and AFL and had the soccer honchos not cracked the sooks and instead proceeded with the original plans for a brand-new 25k multi-purpose stadium in Blacktown with or now without a World Cup, it could have been a win for both codes and right in the heart of Western Sydney.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

jackstar is back again

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
There is a large pub under the Novtel but thats it

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »
Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

WESTERN Bulldog Callan Ward may have to sacrifice $2 million to remain loyal to his club, his manager Paul Connors says.

Connors revealed the size of the carrots being thrown by Greater Western Sydney, conceding he could not yet guarantee star client Dale Thomas would re-sign at Collingwood.

Ward is out of contract and being pursued by GWS, with the Bulldogs unable to match its five-year deal.

Connors, one of the league's most influential agents, told Superfooty's Front & Square players such as clients Thomas, Ward and Brisbane's Daniel Rich were being offered once-in-a-career deals.

Asked if the difference was as much as $400,000 a season, Connors replied: "More. (Their offers) are outrageous.

"If Callan Ward does want to stay at the Dogs, and I hope he does, for guys like him the quantum is huge.

"(Ward) would love to stay, but no doubt I would have thought the GWS boys wouldn't mind him in their backyard either.

"I can't even believe we're debating that players probably will stay at their clubs even though there's a $500,000 per annum difference. It wouldn't happen in rugby league, but it happens in ... AFL."

Given GWS is prepared to offer Ward at least $800,000 a season, he could pass up more than $2 million in the next five years.

Thomas will probably stay at Collingwood, but Connors said the Giants were pushing hard.

"Dale has given an indication he would like to stay at Collingwood," Connors said.

"They are his instructions to me and I am currently negotiating slowly with Collingwood.

"Would GWS like Dale Thomas? I am sure they would like him on their list.

"It just gets down to that GWS has this pile of money.

"He wants to be at Collingwood, but until he's signed I can't guarantee anything."

Connors is certain Adelaide forward Taylor Walker has signed with the Giants and says he believed Fremantle midfielder Rhys Palmer would head to the AFL's 18th club.

"They seem pretty confident they have got a few, but we haven't heard the names bandied around like with Gold Coast," he said.

"Taylor Walker for mine is going. Rhys Palmer is another I would have some money on going."

Connors has signed the certain No. 1 draft pick for GWS this year in tall Melbourne marking forward Jonathan Patton, and said his potential showed glimpses of Jonathan Brown and Wayne Carey.

He hoped Rich and Matthew Leuenberger would stay at Brisbane, but said the final year of the club's payout to sacked forward Brendan Fevola meant the club's salary cap was tight.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydney-throws-2m-carrot-at-callan-ward/story-e6frf9jf-1226071330808
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

10 FLAGS

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
SEN reckon 1 player signed a MOU or HOA or whatever with Giants and now the player doesnt want to go ahead with it. The contract is legal and binding according to lawyers. Anyway, does anyone know who the player is?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Israel Folau. :-\

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Tom Scully :-\

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
Sportsnewsfirst twitter:

"AFL claim they have yet to receive a written complaint from Western Bulldogs about an alleged GWS "tap-up" of Callan Ward"

Edit: on the AFL website as well:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/117359/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
Sportsnewsfirst twitter:

"AFL claim they have yet to receive a written complaint from Western Bulldogs about an alleged GWS "tap-up" of Callan Ward"

Edit: on the AFL website as well:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/117359/default.aspx
Ward is a good footballer but he's no Ablett worth $5m over 5 years  :o.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
Two things either Callan Ward is the biggest name they are looking at getting or if blokes like THomas and Scully haven't signed what would they be worth? Food for thought.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
GWS don't need a star they need a decent team that won't get thrashed. Should of gone for a coach like Paul Roos who I think is a coach that can get the best out of a team by type of game plan. Call his style boring but at least it will help them not get flogged every week and maybe with a few decent players finish around 12th.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2011, 01:26:45 AM »
I agree tiger101 as far as on-field but for off-field promotion GWS need to land a big name. To most Sydneysiders it'll be Callan who?

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »
I agree tiger101 as far as on-field but for off-field promotion GWS need to land a big name. To most Sydneysiders it'll be Callan who?

Sydneysiders? I'm saying Callan who?  ::)

gerkin greg

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
GWS don't need a star they need a decent team that won't get thrashed. Should of gone for a coach like Paul Roos who I think is a coach that can get the best out of a team by type of game plan. Call his style boring but at least it will help them not get flogged every week and maybe with a few decent players finish around 12th.

They did go for Roos. Too loyal to the Swans and knocked them back.
Agree they don't need to sign a star, they need experienced bodies so their kids don't get smashed at stoppages.
Their stars will come from the plethora of wicked draft picks.

They could recruit Buddy Franklin and it would be Buddy who?