Author Topic: Four Coaches and One Job  (Read 2958 times)

Ramps

Four Coaches and One Job
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
Richmond as a club is in an awful mess for mine, do you guys honestly believe that any of the four guys going for our job can turn Richmond around or is Richmond a club that needed a huge name to save what could be a sinking ship football wise.

In all honesty what do you guys reckon? Personally I think that none of the four will succeed. Not even Hardwick who I want to get the job. We needed to get the chequebook out and pay Malthouse whatever he wanted- probably close to $1 million a year for 4 years. That in reality was the only real solution for us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Four Coaches and One Job
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Struth Ramps

I just posted a reply in the other thread that would sit beautifully on this thread  :P

The success of the next coach whoever it is will be dependant on the one thing you posted in another thread and that is unity at this footy club

If the bloke gets the total support of not just the club but all the other stakeholders they have some hope

Unfortunately, just from a supporters perspective whoever they select is not going to enjoy total support   
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Forgive me all for blowing my own trumpet as I am copying my post from another thread but I felt it had validity in this thread also. Here goes again :thumbsup

In my humble opinion Hardwick is the best of the four from a footballing perspective, but as I have previously stated in other threads the problems at Richmond are not merely confined to the coaches box and playing field. As we are patently aware they run much deeper and are so deep rooted to the fabric of the club on and off the field that it won't take a new coach and a few close allies to change this.

What the RFC needs to do is fin that perfect fit for the club that will unite everybody whether it is a coach, a new Pres, a CEO whoever. This powerbroker will have all the power in his hand and all and sundry will adhere. Any other appointment will merely be a token appointment. Lamentably I feel these candidates true worth will be lost to us in the current environment at Punt Rd. I hope time will prove me wrong but given the last 27 years I'm not counting on it .    

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »
Struth Ramps

I just posted a reply in the other thread that would sit beautifully on this thread  :P

Ditto WP  :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
Might as well add this here

As you know Ramps I have my preference out of the final 4 and I've always had an open mind about Richardson

But as for the other 2....  well the bridesmaid I've had question marks on him all along and Hinkley doesn't grab my attention either. Having just read Mark Thompson's comments about him being a practical joker etc the alarm bells are ringing over him too now   

It's funny I see North as a joke of a club but I will admit to having just a ounce of respect for them taking the punt on Brad Scott... it's a bold appointment, a bit daring if you like and that's what I actually want Richmond to do, make a tough call, a bold call.

2 out of the 4 for me at least just look like the predictable or even "soft/obvious" choices and my gut tells me that isn't what this Club needs
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Struth Ramps

The success of the next coach whoever it is will be dependant on the one thing you posted in another thread and that is unity at this footy club

If the bloke gets the total support of not just the club but all the other stakeholders they have some hope

Unfortunately, just from a supporters perspective whoever they select is not going to enjoy total support   

Thats why I dont think this will turn out well. Only Malthouse could have unified the ranks. For the last few weeks supporters have been taking sides- me included, and whilst most of us will move on, there will be some who at the first sign of trouble will come out and say they should have taken Hardwick or they should have taken Hinkley or Rawlings. I dont think any of the 4 can carry the Richmond mentality. Only Malthouse would have done it.

Offline gonzo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Reincarnate Graeme Richmond

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »
Reincarnate Graeme Richmond

Another Gonzo Masterpiece I see  ;D.

Where you  been Gonzo havent seen you around for a while?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
Forgive me all for blowing my own trumpet as I am copying my post from another thread but I felt it had validity in this thread also. Here goes again :thumbsup

In my humble opinion Hardwick is the best of the four from a footballing perspective, but as I have previously stated in other threads the problems at Richmond are not merely confined to the coaches box and playing field. As we are patently aware they run much deeper and are so deep rooted to the fabric of the club on and off the field that it won't take a new coach and a few close allies to change this.

What the RFC needs to do is fin that perfect fit for the club that will unite everybody whether it is a coach, a new Pres, a CEO whoever. This powerbroker will have all the power in his hand and all and sundry will adhere. Any other appointment will merely be a token appointment. Lamentably I feel these candidates true worth will be lost to us in the current environment at Punt Rd. I hope time will prove me wrong but given the last 27 years I'm not counting on it .    

I get the feeling that Benny Gale may be the galvanizing personality our club has needed for quite a while. I do think that in the spirit of "wiping the slate clean" a new Prez would also help the overall cause. No offence to Gary March but is a more symbolic change that the individual.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline gonzo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
The sleeping Giant as we are constantly referred to has developed sleep apnia.  The Richmond Football Club continues to loose breath on a regular basis.  It has been laying dorment for an awful long time.  The problem the club has is that there is no-one out there to take the reins. NO-ONE. Not even Malthouse can save this club.  :sleep

Jackstar is back

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
I agree with everyone

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
whats become fairly clear in recent times is success doesnt come by accident...those clubs that have had a sustained run in the finals have reputed recruiting resource...a track record in player development and state of the art facilities. Without any of these, Norm smith would fail relative to the sides that are rich in all of these areas. We have made alot of ground in these key areas...whoever the NEW coach is will have all the support necessary to progress...the same couldnt be said for spud and first couple of years of TW...so quit the panic and anxiety that has set in and review how the good sides have built up to where they are currently placed...think you'll find that in NO case did some magician come in and wave a wand...Hope that clears it up :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
I think their is hope out their and potentially with one of these perspective coaches. We need something different, a different outlook and a different game plan. Copying off other successful teams, coaching styles and game plans has caused us nothing but pain. TW tried to model our list off Geelong and then attempted to adopt Hawthorns Zone preseason (he wasn't alone there though  :shh) which has got us to the point where we are currently.

While some say we need to start again, I refuse to believe that. Regardless of how strong people rate our list and players we still have youth and time on our side. Our players just need development and confidence, our team structure and loyalty to each other, our club stability and unity. This is the order is must occur in and the process that will bring success.

It has to start with the coach and a coach who can work with our list, get the best out of them and then instill loyalty and a team first mentality into each and every one of them.

For mine, Richardson appears the best choice in terms of developing our list, Hinkley the best in terms of tactiics and Harwick somewhere in the middle. So, depending on who is chosen, will let us know what is most valued by the club and what the feel we most need.

Given where I believe we sit as a club and our current state of development, even though I know Hardwick, my choice would be Richardson because I think he will get the most out of what we have.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »
I think we are stuffed. Its going to be a long long time between drinks. 29 years and counting ....... :'(

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
Its pretty easy to be pessimistic at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me for things to turn around quicker than other think. We have a young core that's still maturing, similar to the Hawks back in 2004. No one rated their kids coming through, but a disciplined coach brought them into the side and had them playing team football pretty quickly, despite a few floggings here and there.

The fact Hardwick was part of that makes me lean towards him more than others. I certainly think the Hawks overachieved early, however they certainly play hard, team football, I hate the zone and hope that's not Hardwick wants to implement at Richmond, however that type of discipline is something our players should aspire to.

As for the off field stuff, I'm planning to win Tattslotto or Powerball and will use the money to disband the coteries who think their money buys them power and influence over the club. Be patient, I'm working on it ;)