Author Topic: Franklin / Lloyd / The Bump gone?  (Read 5528 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Franklin.
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »
Would think Rance deserved a week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
According to the laws then shouldn't Selwood and Rance get two weeks? Both made contact with the head whether it was incidental or intentional. Buddy did not intend to get Cuz in the head either. Buddy was tried by the media from Sunday before the match review panel made their decision to issue him with a suspension yet the Rance Selwood incident is seen as an act of bravery which indeed it was yet under the laws of the game contact to the head is sacrasanct and an offence worthy of a suspension.

You cannot have a rule for one and call it negligent and then have a rule for the other and call it bravery and tough which it is but it's still contact to the head and that under the law is an offence.
Rance and Selwood were both going for the ball. Buddy wasn't. No shirtfront is. It's purely designed to flatten the opponent to take him out and spill the ball loose. I don't necessarily agree with the new rule but what Buddy did is different to what happened with Rance and Selwood. Rance was more lucky to get off his "lovetap" to Buddy's mouth.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
I actually want him to get away with it. For him to be suspended for what happened is a slur on our game. The game is being changed forever.

The rule is black and white I am afraid.
All Players were given DVD at the start of the year.
He couldnt possibly have got off, poor  effort by Hawthorn I reckon.,
::rule states you cannot make contact to the head when there is an option to tackle,. Buddy=GUILTY.

Just take a look at the Thursty and Shiels contact or the Rance and Selwood contact for proof the game isn't netball.  And there are hundreds of other examples.

According to the laws then shouldn't Selwood and Rance get two weeks? Both made contact with the head whether it was incidental or intentional. Buddy did not intend to get Cuz in the head either. Buddy was tried by the media from Sunday before the match review panel made their decision to issue him with a suspension yet the Rance Selwood incident is seen as an act of bravery which indeed it was yet under the laws of the game contact to the head is sacrasanct and an offence worthy of a suspension.

You cannot have a rule for one and call it negligent and then have a rule for the other and call it bravery and tough which it is but it's still contact to the head and that under the law is an offence.

No.  

Buddy laid a bump on a ball handler and was negligent in executing it by hitting him in the head.  A bump cannot have contact to the head.

Rance and Selwood both attacked the footy on the ground and accidentally clashed heads.  Neither tried to bump.

There is a clear difference that can be perfectly explained by the AFL's "spirit of the laws" guide:  "The player whose sole objective is to contest the ball shall be permitted to do so.”  Both Rance and Selwood's sole objective was the football, Buddy's objective was to bump Cousins, and he didn't execute it under the laws.  

I'm surprised Rance didn't get cited for the punch on Buddy as well Jack, which would have ended in a reprimand after a 25% reduction I'd say.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
You never see anyone get knocked out by a bump to the head in netball.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »
Tell you a funny story about netball.  A couple of weeks ago Mini-me was playing and her opponent kept pushing against her.  After a while Mini-me had enough so the next time her opponent pushed against her, Mini-me stepped aside and the opponent fell over and hurt herself and started crying.  We hadn't seen what happened and jokingly asked Mini-me what had she done and what a big bully Mini-me was.  I think it was the same girl who kicked Mini-me on the ankle as well. 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »
Tell you a funny story about netball.  A couple of weeks ago Mini-me was playing and her opponent kept pushing against her.  After a while Mini-me had enough so the next time her opponent pushed against her, Mini-me stepped aside and the opponent fell over and hurt herself and started crying.  We hadn't seen what happened and jokingly asked Mini-me what had she done and what a big bully Mini-me was.  I think it was the same girl who kicked Mini-me on the ankle as well. 

:thumbsup :clapping :clapping

Onya Mini - cunning! I like that  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
The bump part II (Lloyd on Sewell)
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
What comes around goes around  :yep. I wonder how many Hawk fans will be crying discrimation and calling for court action to overturn the rule this week after seeing Sewell carried off on a stretcher after Lloyd did the exact same thing as Buddy did on Cuz.

Re: The bump part II (Lloyd on Sewell)
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
What comes around goes around  :yep. I wonder how many Hawk fans will be crying discrimation and calling for court action to overturn the rule this week after seeing Sewell carried off on a stretcher after Lloyd did the exact same thing as Buddy did on Cuz.

God I hope Lloyd gets off.

I'm wearing my wife's Essendon scarf to work on Monday.

God I hate Hawthorn and their supporters.

:thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
Why? I hope it puts diving boy into retirement.

Pretty funny Campbell Brown calling Lloyd a sniper after the game. Would he call dad a sniper as well lol.

« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
Why? I hope it puts diving boy into retirement.

Pretty funny Campbell Brown calling Lloyd a sniper after the game. Would he call dad a sniper as well lol.

It would p1ss the Hawthorn supporters off for decades.

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Franklin / Lloyd / The Bump gone?
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Lloyd has copped 4 weeks from the MRP

Ryder got 1 week for his jab to Hodge. It must be okay to tap Buddy in the gob but not others lol.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Franklin / Lloyd / The Bump gone?
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
Ryder got 1 week for his jab to Hodge. It must be okay to tap Buddy in the gob but not others lol.
The AFL must be trying to improve its reputation amongst the fans. I'm sure supporters from 15 clubs would like the AFL over that sort of ruling.