Author Topic: David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 10:12:32 PM »
Heard Mckee talking to KB on SEN Friday I think it was.

Mckee admitted himself he could not jump and as such with the new rules has been umpired out of the game.

Why the hell would we even consider such a move - C'mon guys you are doing ok so far dont spoil it now  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 06:12:33 PM »
Kingy was on 3aw after midday. Said he was excited to be here with Wallace.

He mentioned that Terry has scrapped the typical separate assistant coaches for the forwards, midfield and backline. He's going to have a offensive coach (King) and defensive one (I presume that's Royal) from the looks of it. Sounds like he's going to keep things simple with either we've got the ball, they've got the ball  or it's in dispute.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers call on King
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 04:07:37 AM »
Tigers call on King
November 14, 2004

David King goes to work in his role of bringing the battered Tigers out of their shells.
Photo: Michael Clayton-Jones

Terry Wallace is looking to an ex-Kangaroo star to add spark to the Tigers, reports Melissa Ryan.

As Terry Wallace reshaped the Richmond football department to his liking, there was one element that the new club coach realised would prove essential in helping his Tiger players, "a very quiet group", rediscover the flair and joy of football.

With a long-term plan to re-establish the struggling power to the heights of football success, Wallace wanted a vibrant offsider who could spark up the group, a recently retired player who had experienced sustained success and premiership glory, and who came from a football culture in which great leaders abounded.

So who better, Wallace believed, than dual premiership and All-Australian David King, who had been nudged out of football at the close of the 2004 season?

"I was wanting someone who wasn't frightened to have his say or say what he thought, not just sitting behind the senior coach, but someone who was open and outward enough to put his own stamp on that part of it, whether it be with the young players coming in that they have an understanding of what's expected at the level, or be it the senior players who can speak to him about his experiences about some of the team leaders that he's played alongside of," Wallace said.

King's addition to the coaching panel has, in only a week, made its presence felt. As quick with the mouth as he had been with the foot when he starred at the Kangaroos, at training King is all smiles, quips and energy with the players as he begins to carve out his role at the battered club.

And that zippiness and positive reinforcement needs to be brought back to life in a Richmond list that lurched to the wooden spoon, having disappointed in the two previous years in 14th and 13th after reaching a preliminary final in 2001.

"To be honest, where we're at, we need a little bit of flamboyancy. I think that's what happens at times when you've had an unsuccessful period, everyone goes into their shells," Wallace said. "We've got a very quiet group anyway so I think what we've got to do is have a little bit more of that flamboyancy around the place and I think that he will add that little bit of spark - he's making more noise out there than anyone else at the moment - to the group.

"Once they see others comfortable in that environment, they can become a little bit more comfortable in that environment as well. We've got to challenge them to come out of themselves: make a few bold statements, and then you've got to live up to them."

King himself is not sure whether this venture will whet a greater appetite for coaching - he is also looking to work in the football media alongside his Tiger duties, and he was not "super keen to become a coach, put it that way" - but the opportunity presented to him by Wallace and his band of lieutenants was one the 32-year-old could not bypass.

"I'm just going to enjoy it. I'm not going to have any expectations of being a great coach or assistant coach or anything like that, but just to enjoy it and hopefully be a positive influence on the playing group," he said.

King does not view himself so much as a coach as an extra player on the list, a liaison between the coaching panel and the players. He also does not want to transport the Kangaroos' style of leadership to Richmond, but rather help the club establish its own code, whether by mentoring the younger players or by bouncing ideas off the senior players.

"I just want to be positive with the boys. I think they've got to allow themselves to use their flair and their talents and I just want to see if there's anything I can do to help them explore that side of their own game and strengths. I just really don't want to come in and be a coach; really, I just want to be more like an additional player that the players can come to and have a chat about their footy . . ." King said.

"I think it's been tough for them, certainly the last 12 months has. I think that it would be unrealistic to think they're going to be jumping out of their skin every session and just itching to get down here when they've done it so hard. But it won't take long. I think the players are starting to see some real direction and are understanding that they've all got a fresh start and they don't come into this pre-season with any baggage.

"It certainly hits you when you walk in and see the skill and the talent within the players, and you think, well, maybe with a bit more direction and a bit more positive feedback around the place they could really go on and achieve some wonderful things," King said.

"Once they start really enjoying their football, I can't wait for them to have that first win as early as we can next season - hopefully round one of the Wizard Cup or the season proper - it will just get a bit of buoyancy back in the place and the players will start to come out of themselves a bit."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/13/1100227637994.html?oneclick=true